any quick fixes for MAC/IE anomalies ...? (borders and a.link stuff)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bailee, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Bailee

    Bailee Guest

    i design pages on a PC - and of course assume that the vast majority of
    veiwers will be using PC's as well. However, much to my chagrin, I was in a
    Mac store, drooling over the new G5 notebook (amazing 1440x900 hi rez
    screen, onboard dvd burner! wow!) ... anyway, I noticed on some of my pages
    that I lay out (where I use a 1-px border around tables), the borders were
    BLACK instead of the 1-px/white/'3-d' look on my PC.

    Interestingly enough, this was IE on the Mac, whereas Netscape on the Mac,
    they looked fine.

    Does anyone know any code snippets that might make my table borders look
    that same spiffy 1-px white "3-d" look when viewers use a Mac with IE?

    On my page, I also had set up several CSS styles in the header of the doc,
    including one style for links. On the mac, the "visited" (and possibly
    "active") extensions of the link styles - insteading of yeilding a tan or
    light grey to contrast my dark blue background, yielded an unsightly dark
    purple.

    Any feedback on why this Mac (IE - i think?/) would not render CSS properly?

    thanks for any observations ...

    Bailee

    Bailee, Jul 11, 2003

  2. In article <%NvPa.64586$>,
    says...
    > i design pages on a PC - and of course assume that the vast majority of
    > veiwers will be using PC's as well. However, much to my chagrin, I was in a
    > Mac store, drooling over the new G5 notebook (amazing 1440x900 hi rez
    > screen, onboard dvd burner! wow!) ... anyway, I noticed on some of my pages
    > that I lay out (where I use a 1-px border around tables), the borders were
    > BLACK instead of the 1-px/white/'3-d' look on my PC.

    URL?

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Bailee

    Bailee Guest

    > URL?

    here's a test page that I'm using to troubleshoot my styles & colors etc:

    http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/

    the CSS I'm using on this page (embedded in header), renders a tan color for
    the "active" state of the LINK and a grey color for the "visited" state of
    the LINK.

    On a Mac with IE6, they both render dark purple, almost indistinguishable
    from the background color of the page.

    The first TEST LINK goes to this page:
    http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/prem/test2.htm which is formatted with a table
    on a tan-colored page. The table on PC-IE5-6 systems renders with a 1-pixel
    white '3-d' look table border; on the MAC-IE, it renders a black solid
    border that looks about 2 or more pixels wide.

    I know that my CSS is not totally WW3 compliant; I still use the deprecated
    bgcolor attribute for table backgrounds, but I doubt if it would fix the Mac
    problem if I formatted table backgrounds from a CSS command (however I would
    be willing to try if it's a possible solution!)

    cheers,

    Bailee

    Bailee, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Bailee

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Bailee" <> wrote:

    >here's a test page that I'm using to troubleshoot my styles & colors etc:
    >
    > http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/
    >

    >the CSS I'm using on this page (embedded in header), renders a tan color for
    >the "active" state of the LINK and a grey color for the "visited" state of
    >the LINK.
    >
    >On a Mac with IE6, they both render dark purple, almost indistinguishable
    >from the background color of the page.

    And in Opera. Not tested in anything else.

    Your CSS has this:

    ..a.link1:link {}

    The . indicates a class. You have nothing in your HTML with class="a"
    therefore these styles don't apply to anything. Hence the browser
    default is used instead.

    If you want to apply a style to an HTML element then just use the
    element name. e.g.
    a.link1:link {}

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Bailee

    Bailee Guest

    thanks Steve. can't believe i've been putting an extra dot in my styles for
    longer-than-i-care-to mention! funny, that they work fine on IE/PC
    tho'.....??

    not sure what to do about the black borders that show up as 'default' on
    MAC/IE browsers.... anyone?

    Bailee

    Bailee, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Bailee

    Geoff Ball Guest

    Bailee <%NvPa.64586$> wrote in alt.html:

    > http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/

    That bar across the screen repeats on me (above about 1030 pixels wide).

    You're using <a href="javascript:blah">, which isn't a good idea.

    You should make your links more distinguishable.
    ie. a {text-decoration:underline;}

    Incomplete doctype.

    <URL:http://68.145.145.156:8080/doctypes.php#html401transitional>

    > thanks for any observations ...

    Regards,
    Geoff

    --
    http://68.145.145.156:8080/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Geoff_Ball

    Geoff Ball, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Bailee

    Bailee Guest

    thanks Jeff, I realized that the gradient in my 'bar' is only good for
    windows about 1000 px wide or less, so I will have to lengthen the gradient
    so it doesn't repeat. as far as the javascript window for popup credits
    goes, it's working fine on all platforms, so I didn't have a problem with
    it. Popup windows are a new phenomenon for me, so i'm unaware of which is
    the best form.

    My real remaining question was the linked page <
    http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/prem/test2.htm > and why the 1-px table border
    (normal white, 3-d appearance on IE/PC) look like black 2-px bars on
    MAC/IE5+... so far no one has suggested any workarounds for that..

    Bailee

    Bailee, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Bailee

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 15, 2003
  9. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:17:37 +0000, Bailee wrote:

    > not sure what to do about the black borders that show up as 'default' on
    > MAC/IE browsers.... anyone?

    table {
    border-top: thin solid #eee;
    border-right: thin solid #777;
    border-bottom: thin solid #777;
    border-left: thin solid #eee;

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 15, 2003
  10. Bailee

    Kris Guest

    In article <IlMQa.9550$>,
    "Bailee" <> wrote:

    > My real remaining question was the linked page <
    > http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/prem/test2.htm > and why the 1-px table border
    > (normal white, 3-d appearance on IE/PC) look like black 2-px bars on
    > MAC/IE5+... so far no one has suggested any workarounds for that..

    A border is a border, right? If you want more detailed stuff, you have
    to apply CSS. Better even, dump all the presentational HTML and use CSS
    only, for appearance sake. :)

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)