Any recommendations for a socket library?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mark Sisson, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Mark Sisson

    Mark Sisson Guest

    Hi all.
    I'm an old salt VB/Com developer with now years of .Net. I was never
    a heavy C++ guy but now I'm trying to get into game programming at it
    seems to be the best fit.

    I'm now starting to get my rudimentary network pieces going. The
    client is going to run a C++ and my backend will be .Net.

    My question is whether anyone had recommendations regarding socket
    libraries. I have a nice book entitled "Programming Multiplayer
    Games" by Mulholland Hakala that basic shows you how to do things at
    the API level. But am I wasting my time try to learn the details and
    instead use a library? I see a lot about ACE on the newsgroups but is
    it supported? Will I find quick tutorials to get me up and running
    quickly? What I'm worried about are all the "tricks of the trade" and
    school or hard knocks best practices that will keep my app running
    smoothly when various situations arise.

    Thanks for any comments.
    mark
    Mark Sisson, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Mark Sisson

    Skyler York Guest

    Mark Sisson wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm an old salt VB/Com developer with now years of .Net. I was never
    > a heavy C++ guy but now I'm trying to get into game programming at it
    > seems to be the best fit.
    >
    > I'm now starting to get my rudimentary network pieces going. The
    > client is going to run a C++ and my backend will be .Net.
    >
    > My question is whether anyone had recommendations regarding socket
    > libraries. I have a nice book entitled "Programming Multiplayer
    > Games" by Mulholland Hakala that basic shows you how to do things at
    > the API level. But am I wasting my time try to learn the details and
    > instead use a library? I see a lot about ACE on the newsgroups but is
    > it supported? Will I find quick tutorials to get me up and running
    > quickly? What I'm worried about are all the "tricks of the trade" and
    > school or hard knocks best practices that will keep my app running
    > smoothly when various situations arise.
    >
    > Thanks for any comments.
    > mark

    If it's going to use .NET, you could make use of the System.Net.*
    namespace classes (namely objects in the Sockets namespace) for basic
    network communication. It's not really a full networking library per
    say, but it does have some basic classes like TcpClient and UdpClient
    that you could use. Of course you could always resort to raw sockets.
    Skyler York, Sep 13, 2004

  3. Mark Sisson

    Mark Sisson Guest

    Thanks for the reply but I'm already well versed in the System.Net.*
    namespace for .Net. My problem is the C++ (non-managed code) on the
    client. I chose to use C++ for the client rather than managed code
    due to the large footprint of a .Net install for the client.
    Mark Sisson, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Use ACE. It is free. It gives nice frameworks like Reactor, Connector
    etc. to do socket programming.
    http://www.riverace.com/acebooks/index.htm
    Thanks.
    Dhina

    venkat dhinakaran, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Mark Sisson wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > I'm an old salt VB/Com developer with now years of .Net. I was never
    > a heavy C++ guy but now I'm trying to get into game programming at it
    > seems to be the best fit.

    ACE http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html is a vary mature framework for
    networked programming.

    Lothar