    While I am looking for something fairly graphical like dbSketch or
    dbWrench, I am pretty impressed with Django's built-in ORM's ability to
    create and update databases.

    metaperl, Aug 31, 2006

  2. metaperl

    Guest

    metaperl> I am hoping for something that can create database deltas.

    What is a database delta? I know about SELECT, CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE,
    joins, normalization, etc, but have never heard this term before.

    Skip

    , Aug 31, 2006

  3. metaperl

    Tim Chase Guest

    > metaperl> I am hoping for something that can create database deltas.
    >
    > What is a database delta? I know about SELECT, CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE,
    > joins, normalization, etc, but have never heard this term before.

    There are two types of database deltas that I know of: metadata
    deltas (changes to the structure of the database such as altering
    columns in tables, adding/removing tables, altering views/SPs,
    changing access-controls, etc) and data deltas (differences in
    data when the structures are the same).

    A metadata some sort of "diff" between two copies of a database
    (say, your "production" and "development" databases), allowing
    you to bring your production database up to the point where your
    development database is. A data-diff would be about the same as
    an incremental backup, allowing you copy new data from one
    database to another database with stale/older data on it.

    I've written a couple simple database diffing scripts to synch
    production database to look like the development database
    snapshot. None were complete scripts to synch everything, but
    just handled what I needed at the time (usually just altered or
    added tables/queries).

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Aug 31, 2006