any repositories of professional looking css style sheets?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rahul, Jul 24, 2009.

  1. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets anywhere that
    people would recommend? I was building my very-basic website to share some
    engineering data. I found that the hardest task was styling stuff. I always
    end up with ghastly looking colors size combinations etc. (I'm an aesthetic
    ignoramus)

    All the examples I found via google seemed linked to css tutorials but were
    super flashy, garish-colors "buy-my-stuff" or artsy "in your face" kind.

    Are there any better more professional looking stylesheets anywhere?
    Something more sublte. I know that thats what design professionals are for
    but I wasn't looking for anything super fancy. Just some basic style defs
    for <h1> <table> etc. I'm sure this has been done before and don't want to
    re-invent the wheel.

    I did find a few good css files; eg. for Tables. I am pretty happy with the
    look of my Tables so far:
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/118481/mqsql_html.jpg

    But no luck for other elements. Any leads?

    [ I use "mysql-->php-->html" to extract useful sub-sets. So it is a pretty
    dynamic site. Which is why I didn't start with frontpage or a GUI like
    that]

    --
    Rahul
    Rahul, Jul 24, 2009

  2. Rahul

    rf Guest

    Rahul wrote:
    > Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets
    > anywhere that people would recommend?

    That's a bit like asking if there any good repositories of professional
    house paint around.

    You don't "obtain" a style sheet. You craft one to supply presentational
    aspects to your HTML based content.
    rf, Jul 25, 2009

  3. Rahul

    Newzie Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:22:36 +0000 (UTC), Rahul wrote:

    > Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets anywhere that
    > people would recommend? I was building my very-basic website to share some
    > engineering data. I found that the hardest task was styling stuff. I always
    > end up with ghastly looking colors size combinations etc. (I'm an aesthetic
    > ignoramus)
    >
    > All the examples I found via google seemed linked to css tutorials but were
    > super flashy, garish-colors "buy-my-stuff" or artsy "in your face" kind.
    >
    > Are there any better more professional looking stylesheets anywhere?
    > Something more sublte. I know that thats what design professionals are for
    > but I wasn't looking for anything super fancy. Just some basic style defs
    > for <h1> <table> etc. I'm sure this has been done before and don't want to
    > re-invent the wheel.
    >
    > I did find a few good css files; eg. for Tables. I am pretty happy with the
    > look of my Tables so far:
    > http://files.getdropbox.com/u/118481/mqsql_html.jpg
    >
    > But no luck for other elements. Any leads?
    >
    > [ I use "mysql-->php-->html" to extract useful sub-sets. So it is a pretty
    > dynamic site. Which is why I didn't start with frontpage or a GUI like
    > that]

    Nope.

    You pretty much gotta find the display you like, then look inside to see
    the how's.

    http://www.cssheaven.com/

    http://cssremix.com/
    Newzie, Jul 25, 2009
  4. Rahul

    C A Upsdell Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets
    >> anywhere that people would recommend?

    > That's a bit like asking if there any good repositories of professional
    > house paint around.
    >
    > You don't "obtain" a style sheet. You craft one to supply presentational
    > aspects to your HTML based content.

    I suspect that the OP is really interested in templates.
    C A Upsdell, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Rahul

    Roy A. Guest

    Re: any repositories of professional looking css style sheets?

    On 24 Jul, 19:22, Rahul <> wrote:
    > Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets anywhere that
    > people would recommend?

    I would not recommend any such archives or repositories. One things
    that springs in mind is http://www.blueprintcss.org/. I have never
    used it, but it might be like something you want. And as you can see,
    these things is complicatied, and it might not be what you want. (But
    it would give you some basic ideas about design and webdesign.)

    > I was building my very-basic website to share some
    > engineering data. I found that the hardest task was styling stuff. I always
    > end up with ghastly looking colors size combinations etc. (I'm an aesthetic
    > ignoramus)

    One basic and good idea is too use space instead of colors (items with
    small spaces is more conectet to each other than items with larger
    spaces. Ultimatily dou don't need colors. Try that first. Everything
    can be seperatet width just three colors. Try that on a sheet of
    paper. If you want to seperate things, three colors is enough).

    I would recommend you to use a Content Management System (CMS). Most
    CMS's comes with a decent set of styles that looks profecional, where
    you can change the overall layout. If you don't want to us an CMS you
    could always "steal" a css from an CMS with an GNU/GPL license.

    > All the examples I found via google seemed linked to css tutorials but were
    > super flashy, garish-colors "buy-my-stuff" or artsy "in your face" kind.

    We don't know what you search for, but there is plenty decent
    resourses on "the net".

    Roy A., Jul 25, 2009
  6. Rahul

    Roy A. Guest

    Re: any repositories of professional looking css style sheets?

    On 24 Jul, 19:22, Rahul <> wrote:
    [...]
    > Are there any better more professional looking stylesheets anywhere?
    > Something more sublte. I know  that thats what design professionals are for
    > but I wasn't looking for anything super fancy. Just some basic style defs
    > for  <h1> <table> etc. I'm sure this has been done before and don't want to
    > re-invent the wheel.

    Don't worry. Most people in this group are not "design professionals",
    but we would like to help you. Some of us are "design professionals",
    but don't let that worry you. We are here becouse we like to help
    people like you.

    > I did find a few good css files; eg. for Tables. I am pretty happy with the
    > look of my Tables so far:http://files.getdropbox.com/u/118481/mqsql_html.jpg

    Ok, It looks decent enough, but if you don't learn some CSS you're
    lost. How would you find anohter example that maches those colors?

    > But no luck for other elements. Any leads?

    Most of the time you can change the looks of everything in css. Css is
    designed to be simple, and it is. But you have to learn it. It's just
    one hour away, too learn the basics.

    I don't think it would be easyer too take an good css an then change
    your html to make that css happen.

    > [ I use "mysql-->php-->html" to extract useful sub-sets. So it is a pretty
    > dynamic site. Which is why I didn't start with frontpage or a GUI like
    > that]

    That sounds good. I like that. So if you're up to the task, the only
    thing thas is missing is css. And that is more easy than mysql, php
    and html.
    Roy A., Jul 25, 2009
  7. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    C A Upsdell <> wrote in news:h4dl6k$vfp$-
    september.org:

    > I suspect that the OP is really interested in templates.

    Ah! Maybe, it is templates! I am not sure about the distinction Templates
    for layout and CSS for the rest of the styling / formatting?

    --
    Rahul
    Rahul, Jul 26, 2009
  8. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    Re: any repositories of professional looking css style sheets?

    "Roy A." <> wrote in

    > On 24 Jul, 19:22, Rahul <> wrote:
    >
    > Ok, It looks decent enough, but if you don't learn some CSS you're
    > lost. How would you find anohter example that maches those colors?

    > Most of the time you can change the looks of everything in css. Css is
    > designed to be simple, and it is. But you have to learn it. It's just
    > one hour away, too learn the basics.

    Thanks for your comments Roy! I am all for learning CSS. In fact, I am
    already using CSS for that very page I showed you. I did read up on some
    css tutorials since seperating the content from formatting seems very
    logical. I played around building my own styles ground up from scratch but
    soon iscovered that it was more fruitful to start from a well designed
    template css whose look I liked and then tweaking it. It was in that spirit
    that I was looking for "repositories".

    > That sounds good. I like that. So if you're up to the task, the only
    > thing thas is missing is css. And that is more easy than mysql, php
    > and html.

    Yup; I'm all for using CSS! :) Just want to start tweaking examples that
    already look good. In in that sense a repo. would be good to play with a
    bunch of good looking designs from.

    --
    Rahul
    Rahul, Jul 26, 2009
  9. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    > I would not recommend any such archives or repositories. One things

    Why not?

    > that springs in mind is http://www.blueprintcss.org/. I have never

    Thanks! That seems very promising and exactly what I had in mind when I
    posted. It seems fairly elegant looking and does offer a set of
    consistent styles for most common elements. eg. ul lists, tables, H1, H2
    etc.

    > I would recommend you to use a Content Management System (CMS).

    I had thought of exactly that before starting on this project and even
    hae installed Drupal on my server. The problem is that Drupal seems good
    for standard content types but for my mysql-->php-->(css)-->html data
    mining project I couldn't figure out how to fit Drupal in. Maybe I am
    using the wrong CMS? Any sugesstions for a CMS that'd be more amenable
    to this sort of dynamic php-generated page management?

    Or, maybe I am missing something in Drupal itself, since I am a Drupal
    noob too and that piece of code is a complex beast.

    > Most
    > CMS's comes with a decent set of styles that looks profecional, where
    > you can change the overall layout. If you don't want to us an CMS you
    > could always "steal" a css from an CMS with an GNU/GPL license.

    That sounds like a good idea. I had loved the look of Drupal managed
    sites. that is exactly the look I had in mind and had installed Drupal
    for. Until I was lost about how to push phps into the Drupal look.

    --
    Rahul
    Rahul, Jul 26, 2009
  10. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in news:0ssam.7161$ze1.3389@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > That's a bit like asking if there any good repositories of professional
    > house paint around.
    >
    > You don't "obtain" a style sheet. You craft one to supply presentational
    > aspects to your HTML based content.

    I've used the equivalent of stylesheet boiler plate for other similar
    applications before. eg. Latex templates for various types of docs and
    reports. Or beamer templates for presentations.

    Of course, total blind slavery to a cookie cutter template is bad but I
    don't see anything bad in starting from one and then tweaking it around?

    --
    Rahul
    Rahul, Jul 26, 2009
  11. Rahul

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9C53BE06F1B5B6650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@85.214.113.135>,
    Rahul <> wrote:

    > "rf" <> wrote in news:0ssam.7161$ze1.3389@news-
    > server.bigpond.net.au:
    >
    > > That's a bit like asking if there any good repositories of professional
    > > house paint around.
    > >
    > > You don't "obtain" a style sheet. You craft one to supply presentational
    > > aspects to your HTML based content.
    > >

    > I've used the equivalent of stylesheet boiler plate for other similar
    > applications before. eg. Latex templates for various types of docs and
    > reports. Or beamer templates for presentations.
    >
    > Of course, total blind slavery to a cookie cutter template is bad but I
    > don't see anything bad in starting from one and then tweaking it around?

    You do know that you always already start with a cookie cutter template
    of sorts? It is called the default CSS that browsers use. This is about
    the only universally portable template. All the others are about
    particular tailorings to particular HTML markups...

    If you like an HTML/CSS design, there is nothing *wrong* in using it and
    adapting it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 26, 2009
  12. Rahul

    SMHealthNick Guest

    On Jul 25, 7:40 pm, Rahul <> wrote:

    >  I've used the equivalent of stylesheet boiler plate for other similar
    > applications before. eg. Latex templates for various types of docs and
    > reports. Or beamer templates for presentations.
    >
    > Of course, total blind slavery to a cookie cutter template is bad but I
    > don't see anything bad in starting from one and then tweaking it around?
    >
    > --
    > Rahul

    You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Sometimes people are looking for
    information on a site, not originality, and it would is good to
    catalog some of the best basic templates.
    SMHealthNick, Sep 14, 2009
  13. Rahul

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 24 July, 18:22, Rahul <> wrote:
    > Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets anywhere that
    > people would recommend?

    No, because I think I know what I really do need here and I don't know
    of anywhere that offers it.

    if you want a bare stylesheet (which you don't), try Visual Studio
    (yes, really). Much condemned, but the bare stylesheets they used to
    bundle did at least include sensible sets of colours and a reasonabe
    graphic look.

    Why the bare stylesheet doesn't work in practice is that you need a
    site meta-structure to be defined first. This exists on top of of the
    pre-defined HTML & CSS specifications and best practices, is shared by
    all(sic) the pages of your site and is pretty much essential for
    getting anywhere. Techniques for expressing such a meta-structure are
    still imprecise and largely manual.

    When you draw your site's wireframes you'll design "a big box of
    content over here, two skinny columns stacked on top of each other on
    the right, and a little legal boilerplate footer hiding down the
    bottom." or something of that ilk. The meta-structure is a record of
    both this, and some behaviours for these content elements as the
    window resizes etc., i.e. as the window width changes, how do the
    blocks re-flow amongst each other?

    The meta-structure will usually describe pages at at least two levels:
    one is the site's overall behaviours, the other is for groups of pages
    within the site that have a similar look. Often the site sets the
    presentation style, the sub-groups how many columns etc. and their
    relative fluidity. Some large sites might also them content-based
    subgroups (e.g. "News" in red, "Features" in blue) and that's a third
    or further layer of categorization within the meta-structure.

    Your abstract meta-structure is then used to define an
    implementational HTML structure that your pages can follow: the number
    and grouping of the <div> elements etc. used to construct each content
    block (and how many are needed to achieve the presentational effects
    you want), the identifier and class annotations you use here to attach
    the CSS itself. Also consider the linear sequence of these elements,
    within the HTML.

    You should now have HTML pages that "work" in a minimal style (a
    necessary condition for accessibility), even without the styling. This
    simple linearised version is what the web spiders and speech readers
    will see.

    On top of this, you write the CSS. This is actually quite simple, as
    the design "decisions" have already been taken when definining the
    meta structure, the CSS merely makes an incarnation of this. It's a
    technically skilled task and still has some choices to be made about
    choosing some techniques over others to gain wider browser support
    etc., but largely it's now a process of mechanical labour.

    Note two somewhat controversial things about this approach:

    * The HTML is somewhat presentational. This is deliberate, because
    although the HTML 4 + CSS approach is widely assumed to _absolutely_
    separate content and presentation, this is a falsehood. You need
    presentational HTML in HTML 4.01 Strict. What should be avoided are
    the HTML 3.2 leftovers, the presentational properties of old HTML.

    The HTML is modified (i.e. extended) according to presentational
    needs. CSS does _not_ assume that any HTML can be styled to achieve
    any result (read Haakon Lie's PhD thesis) - for simplicity in CSS'
    implementation and use, it relies on there already being enough
    "hooks" in the HTML to achieve your presentation style, it's not a
    styling language like DSSSL (or in some ways, XSLT) that has the
    ability to transform or extend the underlying content document. What
    should still be permitted for "presentation HTML" (i.e. current best-
    practice HTML coding) are additional structural expressions in HTML
    that were only required by presentation requirements, not content
    semantics.

    * Secondly we can't build a CSS Zen Garden. CSS doesn't support zen
    gardens (and never did), it's not a goal of CSS that "any" document
    can be styled to achieve "any" result. For non-trivial presentations
    you _do_ need to extend the HTML.

    Of course pre-building HTML to address a superset of all the likely
    zen gardens does mean that in practice you can still achieve skinning
    by changing the CSS alone.

    So how does all of this influence the (self-evidently obvious)
    shortage of off-the-shelf CSS libraries? Because such a library
    (barring trivial colour schemes) just isn't enough. You need the meta
    structure too, and first.

    There are a few sites that do offer such a thing. I'm not aware of any
    that support "CSS repositories for sites", but if you look at good
    examples (Bluerobot's well-known 3-column layout, for example) you'll
    see this meta-structure approach at work, but just for one aspect of
    page design, not as libraries for entire sites.
    Andy Dingley, Sep 15, 2009
  14. Re: any repositories of professional looking css style sheets?

    On Jul 24, 1:22 pm, Rahul <> wrote:
    > Are there any good archives / repositories of css stylesheets anywhere that
    > people would recommend?

    Recommend? No not really, but if you google "CSS templates" you will
    be rewarded with a ton of samples. You can probably go from there.
    Travis Newbury, Sep 15, 2009