Any suggestions for a Unified Information Manager ?

Paul Sweeney

Does anyone know of a tool (python, obviously ;-) for managing ALL your
information needs in one place?

I'm talking about contacts,email, ICQ/MSN, Website favourites, RSS, To-do
lists, infobases, faqs, newsgroups etc.etc. etc.

I thought I'd find a Zope app to do something like this, but couldn't find
anything.

What I want to do is route all my information needs through a web-visible
service on a PC at my house for central storage, search facilities etc. I'd
even route SMS messages with the system through an SMS2EMAIL gateway so
they'd be stored against the relevant contact. I'd then be able to access
ALL my information from anywhere (security would be a vital feature here)
via a single portal (so throw away separate outlook, newsreader,msn client,
rss client etc). I think there's a microsoft passport application doing
something similar (can't remember the name, was it my.net?) allbeit on a
smaller scale, but I simply wouldn't trust them with all my data.

Any ideas anyone?

Jakub Fast

Ever had a look at haystack? [http://haystack.lcs.mit.edu/]

Not _exactly_ what you asked for, and not quite there for prime-time yet
(but way closer than Chandler :), but definitely worth a look.

Notice though it uses Java (it's built around Eclipse), but the internal
language (Adenine) is supposedly python-derived.

hope this sparks at least some people's interest ;)

Paul Sweeney

Jakub Fast said:
Ever had a look at haystack? http://haystack.lcs.mit.edu/
Just as a guess, Chandler *will be* (not is) closest to what you want:

http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/WebHome

Another interesting app that isn't as close to what you want, and seems to
be dying a slow death is Hep:

http://www.fettig.net/projects/hep

Thanks for the posts, all three of these links are very interesting, all
being closely related to what I was after, although as you said, none of
them quite there. They have provided some very useful info though, so
thanks very much. I think I'm going to write something my self, back in
about 2 years ... ;-)

Paul Sweeney