any suggestions to synchronize typed text and speech ?

Stef Mientki

hello,

I'm using Scintilla as a wxPython widget with great pleasure.
I now have an application where I want to make notes during a conversation,
but also want to record the speech during that conversation.
I'm using Scintilla as a wxPython widget for editing and PyAudio for the
speech recording,
until so far everything works fine.

Here the problem part:
I need to synchronize the typed text with the sound during playback.
So if I click somewhere in the sound recording,
the line of text, typed that moment should be highlighted.
And vise versa, if the cursor in the text is moved and some special key
is pressed,
the sound starting 10 or 20seconds earlier should be playbacked.

I though of adding bookmarks (because these are fixed in the text), and
keep a list of bookmarks and sound pointers.
This idea should work, but there are only 31 bookmarks.

Any other suggestions ?

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Stef Mientki

thanks Marcus,

Marcus said:
That sounds like a very specialized type of thing,
Well from an application point of view,
with the current netbooks,
this looks like a perfect tool for any conversation or meeting.
which only the few people with experience with wxPython, PyAudio, and
Scintilla could help you with...
I was afraid of that too, so I dropped the question in several places,
and the writer of Scintilla himself came with the perfect answer.

cheers,Stef

Frank Buss

Stef said:
Here the problem part:
I need to synchronize the typed text with the sound during playback.
So if I click somewhere in the sound recording,
the line of text, typed that moment should be highlighted.
And vise versa, if the cursor in the text is moved and some special key
is pressed,
the sound starting 10 or 20seconds earlier should be playbacked.

You could use some screen recording tools, e.g.
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp on Windows. Most tools allows you to
record speech while recording the screen.

Che M

[...]

Stef, it occurs to me now that you might be useful to look at
Transana:
http://www.transana.org/

From their site:

Transana is software for professional researchers who want to
analyze digital video or audio data. Transana lets you analyze
and manage your data in very sophisticated ways. Transcribe it,
identify analytically interesting clips, assign keywords to clips,
arrange and rearrange clips, create complex collections of
interrelated clips, explore relationships between applied keywords,
and share your analysis with colleagues.

It is written in Python, uses Scintilla, and is open source (GPL):
http://www.transana.org/developers/index.htm

Che

Stef Mientki

hi Marcus,
Glad you got a good answer from somebody. Sounds like an interesting
project. About when would this be headed for a release? Could you post
a link to a googlecode or sourceforge project or something so I can
follow and/or help with development?
For the moment it's just an idea, so no line of code yet.
I first like to tackle all the problems,
at least to the level I think I can handle them.
So first solve the next problem,
before I start coding:
automatic synchronization (file uploading and deleting) between EEE-pc
and desktop PC over bluetooth.
And another problem, as my customers are physicians,
both the text and audio need to be stored encrypted.

cheers,
Stef