Any tips?

Richard

I have been searching for a newspaper type script (canned with the potential
for mods). I can't believe there are none available. I have been to many
sites offering them with almost comical results. The best is when the demo
fails. OK - like I am spending my money with people who don't care about
their own image!!! Then therre are sites which are so poorly written I can't
uderstand what they are selling and how to buy it. A simple description: you
are buying .... and the price $X.XX would be nice.

One decent place I found - offered a variety of canned stuff and had a
yearly access fee - and did explain what and how (and I looked at hundreds
of sites) - now has issues with the site - can't download - links are
screwed up. I get that these are usually part time gigs - and rather
appreciate the idea (since no one can do it full time and make a living at
it without a greated cost) but it would be nice to see some decent
offerings.

Does ANYONE know of a decent turnkey script seller - decent stuff, site that
works, readable, and less than $500.00 would be nice.

Thanks for any tips.

Harlan Messinger

Richard said:
I have been searching for a newspaper type script (canned with the potential
for mods). I can't believe there are none available.

What is a "newspaper type script"?

dorayme

Harlan Messinger said:
What is a "newspaper type script"?

I imagine that it is a script that looks at a mob of paragraphs and
makes them into narrowish columns and wraps text from col to col. Like a
newspaper but cleverer because the reader gets to be able determine the
size of the page and the font.

Gus Richter

dorayme said:
I imagine that it is a script that looks at a mob of paragraphs and
makes them into narrowish columns and wraps text from col to col. Like a
newspaper but cleverer because the reader gets to be able determine the
size of the page and the font.

If so, then check out this example at this Blog:
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2009/07/on_not_being_ev.html>
Using either: Firefox, Safari or Chrome

Change the font-size (zoom) on any of them to see the number of columns
change.
All other browsers present only one column.

Here are the Mozilla and Webkit rules in the stylesheet for that Blog.

..columns {
-moz-column-width: 20em;
-moz-column-gap: 3em;
-moz-column-rule: medium solid;
-webkit-column-width: 20em;
-webkit-column-gap: 3em;
-webkit-column-rule: medium solid; }

Multi-Column Layout (CSS3):
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/>

dorayme

Gus Richter said:
If so, then check out this example at this Blog:
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2009/07/on_not_being_ev.html>
Using either: Firefox, Safari or Chrome

Change the font-size (zoom) on any of them to see the number of columns
change.
All other browsers present only one column.

Here are the Mozilla and Webkit rules in the stylesheet for that Blog.

.columns {
-moz-column-width: 20em;
-moz-column-gap: 3em;
-moz-column-rule: medium solid;
-webkit-column-width: 20em;
-webkit-column-gap: 3em;
-webkit-column-rule: medium solid; }

Multi-Column Layout (CSS3):
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/>

Yes, the columns are nice to read. Mac Safari and iCab also render it as
meant (though iCab's face scowls at various things to do with the last
rules you mention... (to mention the relevant ones). Mac Opera, no dice
but as you say, one col. FF reports errors with CSS but, like iCab,
supports these renderings...

Gus Richter

dorayme said:
Yes, the columns are nice to read. Mac Safari and iCab also render it as
meant (though iCab's face scowls at various things to do with the last
rules you mention... (to mention the relevant ones). Mac Opera, no dice
but as you say, one col. FF reports errors with CSS but, like iCab,
supports these renderings...

Keep in mind that Multi-Column Layout (CSS3) is only a "Draft" proposal
and only on "Last Call" prior to becoming "Candidate Recommendation",
then "Proposed Recommendation", on the road to a "Final Recommendation".

Prior to Recommendation, the specs may change and therefore
implementations of Multi-column Layout are only experimental and
indicated as such by the prefix to the properties; -moz- for browsers
using Gecko and -webkit- for those using the Apple/Mac engine. The idea
being that once the properties are part of a Recommendation, they will
give support to the properties without the experimental prefix notation.

I assume that you meant that the "W3C CSS Validator" reports CSS errors
and not "FF". This is understandable since in reality those properties
do not as yet exist without the experimental prefix in the Validator,
presumably only after Recommendation and never for the property with prefix.

dorayme

Gus Richter said:
[...]

Yes, I also sort of meant (but did not properly construct the sentence
to say) that iCab too reports errors. With FF it is via the W3C direct
(you know) but with iCab it is sort of its own heart and conscience
speaking. That's how I see it. Others would see it as having its own
internal CSS and HTML validator. I thought not to go into it.

Anyway, I hope they implement these things. I like them. How long must
it take to establish that some things like this are safe and degrade
fine? Surely it is more definite than how long is a piece of string!