Any tool to translate PHP to Python?

Bruce Dickey

Hi,

I have some PHP scripts I'm moving from my web server to the local PC.
They just do file manipulation.

Anybody know of a tool for translating PHP to Python? A partial
translation would be hwlpful.

Also, any tips or pritfalls to look out for?

I'm mostly a Python / C / C++ programmer and do not have much experience
with PHP.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruno Desthuilliers

Bruce said:
Hi,

I have some PHP scripts I'm moving from my web server to the local PC.
They just do file manipulation.

Anybody know of a tool for translating PHP to Python?

Er... What about a programmer ?-)

(sorry, could not resist)
Bruno

Bruce Dickey

Bruno said:
Er... What about a programmer ?-)

(sorry, could not resist)
Bruno

Heh heh. Point taken. I actually *was* assuming I would be the tool --
I've been around Python long enough to have seen most of the resources
for desktop apps.

But Python web scripting I have not gotten into or read much about. It
appears to me that Python is increasing in popularity, not only on the
desktop, but also on the web server.

It seems to me that for folks migrating from PHP to Python, a translator
would be a handy tool. Especially if they have a large site to convert.
It would be a tool useful to a large number of people.

Bruce

John J. Lee

Bruce Dickey said:
It seems to me that for folks migrating from PHP to Python, a
translator would be a handy tool. Especially if they have a large site
to convert. It would be a tool useful to a large number of people.

We look forward to the first release, Bruce. <0.5 wink>

John

Will Stuyvesant

[Bruce Dickey]
[Bruno Desthuilliers]
Bruce said:
Hi,

I have some PHP scripts I'm moving from my web server to the local PC.
They just do file manipulation.

Anybody know of a tool for translating PHP to Python?

Er... What about a programmer ?-)

(sorry, could not resist)
Bruno

Heh heh. Point taken. I actually *was* assuming I would be the tool --
It seems to me that for folks migrating from PHP to Python, a translator
would be a handy tool.

Um, was the point was really taken? Translating programming languages
is *very* hard. Otherwise, it would be possible to just translate
Python to C, with all the obvious benefits.

Perhaps automatic translation of some standard PHP patterns is
possible? No, still too hard. Think about it.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Bruce said:
Heh heh. Point taken. I actually *was* assuming I would be the tool --
I've been around Python long enough to have seen most of the resources
for desktop apps.

But Python web scripting I have not gotten into or read much about. It
appears to me that Python is increasing in popularity, not only on the
desktop, but also on the web server.

It seems to me that for folks migrating from PHP to Python, a translator
would be a handy tool. Especially if they have a large site to convert.

May be, but to which of the numerous Python-based dynamic web page
generation / web framework / web application server would you convert
your php source ?

Bruno

Bruce Dickey

Bruno Desthuilliers said:
May be, but to which of the numerous Python-based dynamic web page
generation / web framework / web application server would you convert
your php source ?

Bruno

I don't know... maybe never will. In my case, I only have a few small
scripts and will translate by hand.

Bruce

Bruce Dickey

Will Stuyvesant said:
[Bruce Dickey]
[Bruno Desthuilliers]
Bruce Dickey wrote:

Hi,

I have some PHP scripts I'm moving from my web server to the local PC.
They just do file manipulation.

Anybody know of a tool for translating PHP to Python?

Er... What about a programmer ?-)

(sorry, could not resist)
Bruno

Heh heh. Point taken. I actually *was* assuming I would be the tool --
It seems to me that for folks migrating from PHP to Python, a translator
would be a handy tool.

Um, was the point was really taken? Translating programming languages
is *very* hard. Otherwise, it would be possible to just translate
Python to C, with all the obvious benefits.

Perhaps automatic translation of some standard PHP patterns is
possible? No, still too hard. Think about it.

Yes, it was really taken. I know its hard, but not impossible. Source
translators exist for a number of languages, such as Basic to Pascal, Pascal
to C, C to Pascal, VB to Python, Java to C++....
Some are only partial, but that provides a good start.

That people have created compilers for that pathological language C++ shows
what can be done with determination. PHP is a (much) simpler language.

I have no plans to write a PHP to Python translator, however. I have only a
few small scripts to convert.

Bruce