Any tools for validating xml against schemas?

COHENMARVIN

I'm just starting out in XML for my business, and already I'm given a
large and complicated XML schema. If I write XML files based on the
schema, is there any tool that
1. Tells me if I'm valid according to the schema
and/or
2. Tells me that I'm nesting my tags properly, and in general creating
well formed XML files?
Thanks,
Marvin

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

COHENMARVIN said:
I'm just starting out in XML for my business, and already I'm given a
large and complicated XML schema. If I write XML files based on the
schema, is there any tool that

More recent versions of xmllint can validate
against DTD and also against Schema.
1. Tells me if I'm valid according to the schema

It is usually a file which is valid against a
Schema and not the author of the file.
and/or
2. Tells me that I'm nesting my tags properly, and in general creating
well formed XML files?

Well-Formedness is also checked by xmllint.

COHENMARVIN

XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems to
be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works on
Windows?
Thanks,
Marvin

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

COHENMARVIN said:
XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems to
be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works on
Windows?

I have never used xmllint on Windows, but with
Google I quickly found these:

ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/setup.xml#xmllint

Remember that xmllint comes with libxml.

grouch

COHENMARVIN said:
XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems to
be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works on
Windows?
Thanks,
Marvin

You could try XmlStarlet (http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/)

It is free and based on same libxml2 library as
xmllint and has windows binaries.

The XmlStarlet toolkit's feature set includes options to:

* Check or validate XML files (simple well-formedness check, DTD,
XSD, RelaxNG)
* Calculate values of XPath expressions on XML files (such as
running sums, etc)
* Search XML files for matches to given XPath expressions
* Apply XSLT stylesheets to XML documents (including EXSLT support,
and passing parameters to stylesheets)
* Query XML documents (ex. query for value of some elements of
attributes, sorting, etc)
* Modify or edit XML documents (ex. delete some elements)
* Format or "beautify" XML documents (as changing indentation, etc)
* Fetch XML documents using http:// or ftp:// URLs
* Browse tree structure of XML documents (in similar way to 'ls'
command for directories)
* Include one XML document into another using XInclude
* XML c14n canonicalization
* Escape/unescape special XML characters in input text
* Print directory as XML document
* Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879), and vice
versa

--MG

grouch