    well formed XML files?
    Thanks,
    Marvin
    COHENMARVIN, Jan 26, 2005

  2. COHENMARVIN wrote:

    > I'm just starting out in XML for my business, and already I'm given a
    > large and complicated XML schema. If I write XML files based on the
    > schema, is there any tool that

    More recent versions of xmllint can validate
    against DTD and also against Schema.

    > 1. Tells me if I'm valid according to the schema

    It is usually a file which is valid against a
    Schema and not the author of the file.

    > and/or
    > 2. Tells me that I'm nesting my tags properly, and in general creating
    > well formed XML files?

    Well-Formedness is also checked by xmllint.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Jan 26, 2005

  3. COHENMARVIN

    COHENMARVIN Guest

    XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
    only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems to
    be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works on
    Windows?
    Thanks,
    Marvin

    COHENMARVIN, Jan 26, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Jan 26, 2005
  5. COHENMARVIN

    grouch Guest

    COHENMARVIN wrote:
    > XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
    > only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems

    > be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works

    on
    > Windows?
    > Thanks,
    > Marvin

    You could try XmlStarlet (http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/)

    It is free and based on same libxml2 library as
    xmllint and has windows binaries.

    The XmlStarlet toolkit's feature set includes options to:

    * Check or validate XML files (simple well-formedness check, DTD,
    XSD, RelaxNG)
    * Calculate values of XPath expressions on XML files (such as
    running sums, etc)
    * Search XML files for matches to given XPath expressions
    * Apply XSLT stylesheets to XML documents (including EXSLT support,
    and passing parameters to stylesheets)
    * Query XML documents (ex. query for value of some elements of
    attributes, sorting, etc)
    * Modify or edit XML documents (ex. delete some elements)
    * Format or "beautify" XML documents (as changing indentation, etc)
    * Fetch XML documents using http:// or ftp:// URLs
    * Browse tree structure of XML documents (in similar way to 'ls'
    command for directories)
    * Include one XML document into another using XInclude
    * XML c14n canonicalization
    * Escape/unescape special XML characters in input text
    * Print directory as XML document
    * Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879), and vice
    versa

    --MG
    grouch, Jan 31, 2005
  6. COHENMARVIN