any tools to enable test automation for scripting language like perl?

matt

hi all:
I am working on a script language very similiar to Perl. It is really
cool if I can automate the test. is there any automatic test tools
around? if the tool can also report how quick the script to be tested
can be executed, that would be even better. if tools are not
available, i will appreciate if you could give me any reference book
or web site on how to make automatic test for scripting language.
thanks a lot!

Shawn Corey

matt said:
I am working on a script language very similiar to Perl.

Why? More specifically, what abilities or features will this language
have that Perl does not? Does it combine Perl's nifty features with
another language's? Aside from being an intellectual exercise, why bother?

--- Shawn

brian d foy

matt said:
hi all:
I am working on a script language very similiar to Perl. It is really
cool if I can automate the test. is there any automatic test tools
around?

You could use Test::Harness to write a testing tool. Your tests,
even if they are in another language, just have to use the interface
that Test::Harness expects: printing "ok" or "not ok". I think
Andy Lester may have written an article about this somewhere.

Beyond that, I would need to know more about what you are doing.
Most things are possible though :)

Joe Smith

matt said:
is there any automatic test tools around?

Yes. Simply download the sources to perl and watch what happens as
you compile it. The 'make test' process runs thousands of tests.
Take a look at what is in the 't' directories for ideas.
-Joe

Eric J. Roode

(e-mail address removed) (matt) wrote in
hi all:
I am working on a script language very similiar to Perl.

I'm curious: do you mean that you are developing a script language similar
to Perl, or that you are coding in an existing language that is similar to
Perl?

--
Eric
`$=`;$_=\%!;($_)=/(.)/;$==++$|;($.,$/,$,,$\,$",$;,$^,$#,$~,$*,$:,@%)=(

matt

thanks a lot guys!
my work place used a prepritory language which is similar to Perl. it
is a script language. I write code with this language. I want to
automate the test process, such as develop built-in test cases or
having to tool to make test drivers for me, just as i use Junit for
Java. this is what i am looking for.
thanks a lot!
to another the last question, i am coding with an existing languange,
not creating a new one. i am not that smart yet.