Any utilities to remove the ALL the Microsoft formatting tags?

Karim

In what world does Access produce clean code? Access produces the same
bloat that MS Word and Excel produce.

No it doesn't. It doesn't procude any xml. Just pure table, tr and td tags.
Which version did you try?

David McRitchie

Hi Shiperton,
Why generate it and strip it out.

If you are into writing your own HTML, I would suggest taking a look
at my webpage on HTML conversion from Excel
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm

I write my own HTML code and the macro to generate the tables
needed without gray row and column headings XL2HTML
or with the headings from macro XL2HTMLx
based on the current selection.

If you seriously want values without formatting you can use
..value instead of .text but your dates are not going to
look like dates, for instance.

Most of the tables on my pages were generated with earlier versions of
the macro. I broke down and did add color, and alignment justifications,
which is a simple tradeoff compared to 3 to 10 times the amount from
Excel or Front Page.

No trial versions, you have the macro to change for your own use.
The code is at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/xl2htmlx.txt

Instructions to install macro coding

The current Microsoft Office solution is to generate all the
horrendous code with all the round-tripping code and then
run the Office 2000 HTML Filter
to remove the round tripping code. But it is still going
to have the junk to make it look just like an Excel page,
overriding formatting that HTML generally does much better
left to it's own devices..

Ian Miller

Shiperton said:
Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
what the heck I'm looking at...

I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
in it...

Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

The original tidy is a command line program. There is a windows GUI
version downloadable at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ablavier/TidyGUI/TidyGUI-exe.zip

You should be able to download this, unzip it, and run the program. Then
load your exported HTML, then click 'Tidy!'. It will tell you what it's
done - but not make the changes to your original until you click 'replace'.

Hope that helps,

Ian M

PS - apologies for top-posting earlier - i don't know what came over me!

Ian Miller

Shiperton said:
Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
what the heck I'm looking at...

I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
in it...

Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

The original tidy is a command line program. There is a windows GUI
version downloadable at http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy/tidyui.zip

You should be able to download this, unzip it, and run the program. Then
load your exported HTML, then click 'Tidy!'. It will tell you what it's
done - but not make the changes to your original until you click 'replace'.

Hope that helps,

Ian M

PS - apologies for top-posting earlier - i don't know what came over me!

Altamir

Shiperton Henethe said:
Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0.

"The Office HTML Filter is a tool you can use to remove
Office-specific markup tags embedded in Office 2000 documents saved as
HTML."

I don't know how it works.
Made by MS, so don't expect miracles.
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

You can also use HTML Tidy.
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

altamir

Ian Miller

GreyWyvern said:
But double-posting is okay, right? ;P

Grey
Grrr - first one had wrong url. I cancelled it but clearly it hasn't
propagated properly.

Ian M

Shiperton Henethe

Matthias Gutfeldt said:
Yes, you can import csv into DW4.
And don't mix up CVS (Concurrent Versions System) with CSV (Comma
Separated Value file format).

No that's the whole point. It crashes my DW4!
(Even on small files...)
You could try the Microsoft Office2000 HTML filter
<http://office.microsoft.com/Assistance/2000/htmlfilter.aspx>: It allows
you to "export to compact HTML", and after that you can run a
customizable filter over your file to remove even more fluff.

Is that safe to run in Office 2002?!
Have Micro$oft genuinely neither built it into Office2002
nor created a filter for 2002? Pah! :-[

But 2500 rows of data in one HTML file seems a bit excessive. Can't you
put that in a database and then only show e.g. 10, 20, 50, or 100 sets
at a time?
Nope!

Ship

Shiperton Henethe

William Tasso said:
d/w and pre-procesing editors have been covered elsewhere in this thread.
Which server-side facilities do you have available?
None.
Client side only.

what are you trying to achieve with this? surely not display 2,500 rows on
one page?
Yes. Why not?!
We are trying to make a point about how many successful bids have
been made on our site. If our customers REALLY want to see them all
then that's fine we let them. The first 100 or so are in their own
table so the appear first...

Ship

Shiperton Henethe

Easiest way to do this is with a text editor that has search-with-
replace, such as UltraEdit.

Here's what ya do:

Save the Excel file as a character delimited file. Lessay you use the
pipe as the separator: |

So file.xls becomes file.txt

Open file.txt in your text editor and do the following:
(In Ultra Edit,^p is a NEWLINE, ^t is a TAB)

Search for: |
Replace with: </TD><TD>

Next,

Search for: ^p
Replace with: </TD></TR>^p<TR><TD>

Then put a <TABLE> at the top of the file and a </TABLE> at the bottom of
the file.

Voila: A compact, HTML-ized excel table :)

Hmm... Intelligent suggestion... though a bit of a techies one!
Easy to make mistakes... Slow if I have to keep doing it
(which I might). In this day and age I'd rather
do all this on a single click if at all possible!

Ship

William Tasso

Shiperton said:
None.
Client side only.
pity

Yes. Why not?!
We are trying to make a point about how many successful bids have
been made on our site. If our customers REALLY want to see them all
then that's fine we let them. The first 100 or so are in their own
table so the appear first...

it can be good to shine a little light on your successes but 2,500 rows
seems a little OTT - but it's your site ;o)

Shiperton Henethe

Adrienne said:
IIRC Tidy also works as a plug in for Dreamweaver. Check the Dreamweaver
documenation.

Like I say the Excel2002 export invariably seems
to crash DW4. So anything to do with DW4 strikes me
as unlikely to work, no?

Ship

Shiperton Henethe

The original tidy is a command line program. There is a windows GUI
version downloadable at http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy/tidyui.zip

You should be able to download this, unzip it, and run the program. Then
load your exported HTML, then click 'Tidy!'. It will tell you what it's
done - but not make the changes to your original until you click 'replace'.

Hope that helps,

I tried this (twice) but for some reason it didnt change anything
when I saved it. (I am using win2K)

Ship

Marc Bissonnette

Hmm... Intelligent suggestion... though a bit of a techies one!
Easy to make mistakes... Slow if I have to keep doing it
(which I might). In this day and age I'd rather
do all this on a single click if at all possible!

Actually, It's a lot faster than you might think :)

I have to do this on an almost daily basis - the nice thing about using a
good text editor with a search-with-replace function is you have much
more control over your options.

For example, if you wanted the first column to be bolded, but the rest
not bolded, you could do this:

Export to CSV format.

Replace ^p with </TD></TR>^p<TR><TD><B>
then
Replace ^t with </TD><TD>

And voila :) (Of course, the example above would not have closing bold
tags in the first cell, but for quick and dirty, this does the trick,
nicely)

Good Luck!

Shiperton Henethe

I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from Excel
and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
which is still valid.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!! >>>:-[

Is it just me?

This kind of persistent Microsoft-dominate-the-planet
-and-screw-who-is-inconvenienced (by having to
download bloated HTML...)

....makes me so cross I can scarely speak.

Gads!

If they want to take over the planet
all I can say is that they need to
do so a damned site more ethically.

Frankly it's the sort of thing that spawns terrorists.

Ship