Any utilities to remove the ALL the Microsoft formatting tags?

Shiperton Henethe

Shiperton Henethe said:
Hi

Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

Okay I think I've found it folks.

Detagger from
http://www.jafsoft.com/detagger/
At $20 that's at the top of what I'd be prepared
to pay, but I just got it to strip out almost everything
from Microscoft. XLnt! I shall propably buy.

Sadly it left behind some of the header, but you cant
have *everything* I guess. I've alerted the developers
in either case.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Matt Probert

Brian said:
Nick said:
So you're happy to fork out large sums to Microsoft for defective
software[1], but not to a third party to fix it?

Though I'm loath to come to the defense of MS, I think it fair to
point out that producing html is a secondary feature of Excel. One
might, thus, fork over money for a functioning spreadsheet program,
and be disappointed with its support for html. Note that I do believe
you should be paid for your work. That is not the issue.

The issue is that Microsoft were bullied into producing
a compact HTML version, for Office 2000 but have deliberately
not produced an Office2002 version. Why not?
Because they want *their* standards to become defacto.

Just like the O/S and browsers have become.

This is the unacceptable face of capitalism.

AKA "globalisation" as distinct from "free trade".

Matt

McWebber

Shiperton Henethe said:
Other thinkgs being equal I would go to long lengths
to avoid Microsoft. But usually they arent equal.
FWIW, I use Norton Anti-virus, which seems okay so far.

The cost of catching a virus far exceeds the 100 quid
a year or so.

Again I have no choice but to USE an anti-virus utility.

Well, if you have a firewall and don't open attachments you should never get
a virus.
There are routers that will connect to your modem even if you're not on a
cable/DSL line.

Alexander Johannesen

McWebber said:
If you're designing sites for the rest of the world and don't run IE you have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.

I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're using.

Alexander

McWebber

have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.
I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're using.

No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has
< 1% penetration.
I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.

Alexander Johannesen

Ï tried:
McWebber replied:
No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has < 1% penetration.

Ah, the arrogant and - more important - misguided angle.
I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.

So because *you* don't have Opera installed and because *you* don't
see a need for it, there are no others in the universe that should
have to use Opera because ... because - maybe - the universe really
spins around your axis?

Alexander

David Venn-Brown

Shiperton said:
As a professional web developer I'm only really very interested
in things with < 1 or 2% penetration...

I did try opera years ago but found it confusing/irritating.

Might try again sometime I guess

I suggest you do, because IMO (and theirs!) Opera is a very fast
browser. It also has some pretty cool tricks up its sleeve. 7 is a very
big improvement.

Mozilla/Firebird is also a good browser but I find it just an itsy bitsy
bit slower, which is very very annoying.

David Venn-Brown

McWebber said:
have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.

No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has
< 1% penetration.
I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.

Do you want a medal?

I do believe that has nothing to do with Ship's problem.

McWebber

Alexander Johannesen said:
Ï tried:

McWebber replied: has < 1% penetration.

Ah, the arrogant and - more important - misguided angle.

So because *you* don't have Opera installed and because *you* don't
see a need for it, there are no others in the universe that should
have to use Opera because ... because - maybe - the universe really
spins around your axis?

It's not my axis, it's reality. If you design a site and it doesn't work in
IE there's not much point in putting it online unless you don't want most of
the world to see the site. You can use Opera. You can build your own
browser. It has no effect on anything if *you* don't use IE. I just don't
see the point in using Opera or any other browser as IE works fine for me
and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.

Alexander Johannesen

McWebber said:
If you design a site and it doesn't work in IE there's not much point in putting it online unless you don't want most of the world to see the site.

Uh, this is why I said at first that you test your pages in IE also.
It isn't hard as most Windows OS'es comes with one.
You can use Opera. You can build your own browser. It has no effect on anything if *you* don't use IE.

Huh? What do you mean by "it", and that "it" has no effect on anything
I do? My choice of a non-IE browser effects a great deal of things
around me, so what are you referring to?
I just don't
see the point in using Opera or any other browser as IE works fine for me and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.

Works for you? Are you sure that isn't because you don't know what
you're missing? And if not in features, then in gained security and
standards-compliance? Or doesn't that mean anything to you?

Alexander

Brian

[extra newsgroups trimmed; followups set]
If you design a site and it doesn't work in IE there's
not much point in putting it online unless you don't want
most of the world to see the site.
Ok.

You can use Opera. You can build your own browser. It has
no effect on anything if *you* don't use IE.

Non-sequitur. I can develop a web site. I can test it using MSIE. I
can use Mozilla or Opera as my browser.
I just don't see the point in using Opera or any other browser
as IE works fine for me

Good for you. It does not work fine for me. Mozilla works much
better. More control. More security. More developer tools. Better
user experience.
and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.

Indeed. So do I. That's why I fire up IE to test sites.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Alexander said:
Works for you? Are you sure that isn't because you don't know what
you're missing? And if not in features, then in gained security and
standards-compliance? Or doesn't that mean anything to you?

Opera is a fine browser, but its standards support isn't quite what it
could be. At least they document these shortcomings (although not the bugs).

BTW, I snipped everything but alt.html and
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html from your vast list of crossposts
and set the follow-up to alt.html.

Matthias

Karim

Shiperton said:
Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is driving me NUTS.
And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
plus the minimal table structure
and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
and I cant remember what it was called.

I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from
Excel

and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
which is still valid.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!! >>>:-[

Is it just me?

This kind of persistent Microsoft-dominate-the-planet
-and-screw-who-is-inconvenienced (by having to
download bloated HTML...)

...makes me so cross I can scarely speak.

Gads!

If they want to take over the planet
all I can say is that they need to
do so a damned site more ethically.

Frankly it's the sort of thing that spawns terrorists.

Ship

It's Karim. He is an expert at dispelling incorrect information.

If he says something, the truth is probably the opposite.

You are right :)

David.. you're a troll. Next time prove your ignorance by quoting the
misinformation I am posting.

Karim

Okay I think I've found it folks.

Detagger from
http://www.jafsoft.com/detagger/
At $20 that's at the top of what I'd be prepared
to pay, but I just got it to strip out almost everything
from Microscoft. XLnt! I shall propably buy.

Sadly it left behind some of the header, but you cant
have *everything* I guess. I've alerted the developers
in either case.

Detagger is a good product. I use it myself. Note there's also a developer
edition with APIs if you want to incorporate it in your apps.

Matt Probert

have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.

No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has
< 1% penetration.
I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.

A check of recent logs of 9,980,199 requests reveals 0.92% of those
requests for pages from The Probert Encyclopaedia were made by
browsers purporting to be "Opera". 2.62% by "Netscape" and 90.58% by
"MSIE"

Alone these statistics don't prove anything, the requests include
requests for images, but if anyone else has sizeable figures they may
help to illustrate a browser usage trend.

I make no comment about whether or not one should cater for minority
browsers.

Matt

William Tasso

Matt said:
I make no comment about whether or not one should cater for minority
browsers.

quite the reverse and I recall it has been mentioned elsewhere in this
thread recently. The markup should of course be valid and well formed as
well as catering for majority browsing situations. No point in shooting
yourself in the foot on either score.

McWebber

anything if *you* don't use IE.
Huh? What do you mean by "it", and that "it" has no effect on anything
I do? My choice of a non-IE browser effects a great deal of things
around me, so what are you referring to?

Really? Does the room stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summber
because you don't use IE? Do you get special discounts at the gas station? I
have never seen anything around me affected when I use Netscape. Maybe I'm
just not using the right browser.
me and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.
Works for you? Are you sure that isn't because you don't know what
you're missing?

I'm missing something? Will I see the winnning lotto numbers before they're
picked if I surf with Opera instead of IE? What features am I missing?
And if not in features, then in gained security and
standards-compliance? Or doesn't that mean anything to you?

I'm concerned with how sites look and what I can read and find online. I
have never had a security issue as my settings and hardware take care of
that.

McWebber

Karim said:
David.. you're a troll. Next time prove your ignorance by quoting the
misinformation I am posting.

Yes, be careful not to quote Karim's misinformation. You don't want to be
blamed.

William Tasso

McWebber said:
Really? Does the room stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the
summber because you don't use IE? Do you get special discounts at the
gas station? I have never seen anything around me affected when I use
Netscape. Maybe I'm just not using the right browser.

pfft - don't be silly. Temperature control is a hardware issue. Change
your monitor not your browser ;o)