Any way to fire off an HTTP request without 'waiting' for a result?

Robert Oschler

I have an IMG element that I've been using to send messages back to my
server whenever certain item option choices are made by a visitor. I send
each message by forming a URL with various search arguments being used, and
then I use Javascript to se the IMG element's SRC property to the URL.

I have discovered, that if the visitor clicks multiple options quickly, IE
does not execute every URL request. It looks like it queues them and when
the HTTP request thread gets around to it, all the old URL requests are
dumped as if they were overlapping.

Is there a way to make an HTTP request to a server that doesn't wait for
result, like the way a UDP send would work (if it was strictly socket
stuff).? Or is there another mechanism to GET or POST to a server that
would not suffer the same request dropping that his happening with IE and
the current method?

thx

Stephen

Robert said:
I have an IMG element that I've been using to send messages back to my
server whenever certain item option choices are made by a visitor. I send
each message by forming a URL with various search arguments being used, and
then I use Javascript to se the IMG element's SRC property to the URL.

I have discovered, that if the visitor clicks multiple options quickly, IE
does not execute every URL request. It looks like it queues them and when
the HTTP request thread gets around to it, all the old URL requests are
dumped as if they were overlapping.

Is there a way to make an HTTP request to a server that doesn't wait for
result, like the way a UDP send would work (if it was strictly socket
stuff).?

HTTPRequest object?

http://jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html

Or is there another mechanism to GET or POST to a server that
would not suffer the same request dropping that his happening with IE and
the current method?
Don't think it has anything to do with the request method; sounds like
an IE thing to me.

Perhaps HTTPRequest will work...
Regards,
Stephen

Chris Riesbeck

Robert Oschler said:
Is there a way to make an HTTP request to a server that doesn't wait for
result, like the way a UDP send would work (if it was strictly socket
stuff).?

I'm not aware of any but if your client doesn't need any
data back, can't your server send back an immediate empty
response and then do whatever work it needs to?