    is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
    do that
    http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

    bbxrider, Jun 22, 2003

  2. bbxrider

    TechnoHippie Guest

    In article <bd544v$pabs9$>,
    says...
    > In post <eloJa.1020638$OV.1117587@rwcrnsc54>
    > bbxrider said...
    >
    > > i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
    > > resolution

    > do you mean keeping the image quality/detail? use a program to resize
    > it. ulead smartsaver pro is nice or just use your graphics program to
    > resize it.
    >
    > > i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser

    > thats not really possible because you don't know what size the
    > visitors browser window is and can only guess its size. you could use
    > percentages for the image size but see below...
    >
    > > is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
    > > do that

    > you can use html to specify a size different than the actual image
    > size but browsers are really bad at resizing images and you should
    > only display images at the size they are (with a few exceptions). its
    > really annoying downloading a 1000x1000px image is its only displayed
    > at 100x100px
    >
    > > http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

    > file:///C:\Documents and Settings\bob.C281571-A\
    >
    > that only exists on your computer, no one elses.

    Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options so if
    you show the pic alone or in a popup window, it will size to fit the
    window. That won't work in any other browser, afaik, so you're better
    off resizing the pic in irfanview or a similar editor ... you'll be safe
    if you make it 640X400. Anything bigger and you will just have to
    accept the fact that you really don't have any control over the viewer's
    screen resolution.

    You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ... you could
    use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and serve up
    the correct pic ... it all depends on your motivation and persistence.

    Judy
    --
    Now listening to Birthday by the Beatles - The White Album
    Downloaded this day off Kazaalite ... I own the album.

    TechnoHippie, Jun 22, 2003

  3. bbxrider

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    TechnoHippie said...

    > Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options

    tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

    now they do :)

    > You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ...

    best option

    > you could use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and
    > serve up the correct pic ...

    the resolution has nothing to do with the available canvas area of the
    browser and you can only guess what the canvas area size may be.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 06:57:54 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 22, 2003
  4. bbxrider

    brucie Guest

    In post <bd55em$p3mnp$>
    brucie said...

    > tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

    oops, try the option above enable image toolbar

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 07:03:03 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 22, 2003
  5. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    thanx for the help and suggestions
    i'm surprised to hear that a script can access something like the screen
    resolution, but i guess since its more of a hardware resource its not a
    security issue.
    sounds like it takes some experimentation with different resolutions. what i
    found initially, the original pic is a screen capture, shft/prnt scr, and
    when reducing resolution the quality just fell apart

    bbxrider, Jun 22, 2003
  6. bbxrider

    brucie Guest

    In post <0epJa.1020995$OV.1118034@rwcrnsc54>
    bbxrider said...

    > thanx for the help and suggestions

    you're welcome. please don't toppost

    How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    > what i found initially, the original pic is a screen capture, shft/prnt scr,
    > and when reducing resolution

    image size?

    > the quality just fell apart

    reduce your resolution to the minimum and take another screen cap or
    use a program such as the one i mentioned before to resize the image

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 07:37:36 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 22, 2003
  7. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:30:02 GMT, "bbxrider" <>
    wrote:

    >i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
    >resolution
    >i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser
    >is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
    >do that
    >http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

    If you are talking a web gallery, then I suggest Thumbnails,
    especially if the size of the original is 100KB+ I use Xnview for my
    Thumbnails: http://www.xnview.com . You can see it in action here:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~acarterchef/Files/Gallery/Space/E2-index.html

    Mind you, I edited the code to coordinate with the rest of that
    section of my site.

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 22, 2003
  8. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:01:52 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >> Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options

    >tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar
    >
    >now they do :)

    That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
    Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 22, 2003
  9. bbxrider

    Wipkip Guest

    TechnoHippie wrote:
    > In article <bd544v$pabs9$>,
    > Judy

    Hey, what are you doing up here. Who let you out of AWW? :eek:)

    --
    Duende
    -----

    Wipkip, Jun 22, 2003
  10. bbxrider

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Andrew H. Carter said...

    >>tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

    > That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
    > Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

    it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
    supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
    browser in use wasn't IE.

    you're a troll.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 08:42:58 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 22, 2003
  11. bbxrider

    Wipkip Guest

    Andrew H. Carter wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:41:23 +1000, brucie <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> you're welcome. please don't toppost

    > If Bill Gates would give _you_ in his will, all his money when he
    > died, with the stipulation that you top-posted for the rest of your
    > life, would you do it? Isn't it really a matter of personal
    > preference? Also isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that we read top
    > to bottom, left to right? What about the Arabic and Hebrew languages?

    If bill g. gave anybody all his money you can bet your ass they wouldn't be posting.

    --
    Duende

    Wipkip, Jun 22, 2003
  12. bbxrider

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Andrew H. Carter said...

    >>> That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
    >>> Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

    >>it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
    >>supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
    >>browser in use wasn't IE.
    >>
    >>you're a troll.

    > You need to reread the thread and see if there was any reference to
    > IE6 before mine. Answer? None. Even you did not mention the version
    > of IE, remember there are still lots of older browsers that do not
    > have the Image resizing and toolbar feature that IE6x has.

    WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
    off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.

    you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 09:11:35 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 23, 2003
  13. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:51:39 GMT, "Wipkip" <> wrote:

    >Andrew H. Carter wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:41:23 +1000, brucie <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> you're welcome. please don't toppost

    >> If Bill Gates would give _you_ in his will, all his money when he
    >> died, with the stipulation that you top-posted for the rest of your
    >> life, would you do it? Isn't it really a matter of personal
    >> preference? Also isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that we read top
    >> to bottom, left to right? What about the Arabic and Hebrew languages?
    >>

    >If bill g. gave anybody all his money you can bet your ass they wouldn't be posting.

    They'd probably keel over, or if they didn't die then they'd be going
    on a vacation, but the fact remains, when I get a letter in reply from
    someone I know, I do not want to see what I wrote, I want to see what
    they wrote. The good letter writer will incorporate the questions
    with their answers. The bottom posting part is a real PITA when in
    order for you to comprehend the whole answer, and nothing be taken out
    of context, the whole thing needs to be included, _and_ the person
    replying hit send before typing anything, and the server does not
    allow cancels.

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 23, 2003
  14. bbxrider

    A. H. Carter Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:15:37 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
    >off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.
    >
    >you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

    Turning the feature off can only work in IE6x, so you tell the
    lurking/first-time newbies those instructions which you gave and if
    they don't have IE6 they will come back asking again their question,
    because the supplied answer does not work prior to IE6. This being
    the case unless they are told the reason why they can't find it and
    how they can get IE6, the newbie will avoid answers by "brucie".

    A. H. Carter, Jun 23, 2003
  15. bbxrider

    TechnoHippie Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:46:01 +1000, brucie <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In post <>
    > >Andrew H. Carter said...

    > >> That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
    > >> Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

    > >it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
    > >supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
    > >browser in use wasn't IE.
    > >
    > >you're a troll.

    > You need to reread the thread and see if there was any reference to
    > IE6 before mine. Answer? None. Even you did not mention the version
    > of IE, remember there are still lots of older browsers that do not
    > have the Image resizing and toolbar feature that IE6x has.

    You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it as
    a solution but only for IE.

    brucie is not a troll

    TechnoHippie, Jun 23, 2003
  16. bbxrider

    TechnoHippie Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:15:37 +1000, brucie <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
    > >off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.
    > >
    > >you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

    > Turning the feature off can only work in IE6x, so you tell the
    > lurking/first-time newbies those instructions which you gave and if
    > they don't have IE6 they will come back asking again their question,
    > because the supplied answer does not work prior to IE6. This being
    > the case unless they are told the reason why they can't find it and
    > how they can get IE6, the newbie will avoid answers by "brucie".

    My exact post was:
    <quote>
    Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options so if
    you show the pic alone or in a popup window, it will size to fit the
    window. That won't work in any other browser, afaik, so you're better
    off resizing the pic in irfanview or a similar editor ... you'll be safe
    if you make it 640X400. Anything bigger and you will just have to
    accept the fact that you really don't have any control over the viewer's
    screen resolution.

    You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ... you could
    use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and serve up
    the correct pic ... it all depends on your motivation and persistence.
    </quote>

    WTF are you arguing about. Get it or get plonked.

    Judy

    TechnoHippie, Jun 23, 2003
  17. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:24:27 -0700, TechnoHippie
    <> wrote:

    >WTF are you arguing about. Get it or get plonked.
    >
    >Judy

    The point is that I made reference to Internet Explorer Version 6
    (IE6), whereas you made reference to Internet Explorer. How many
    older versions are still out there being used, I've no idea, but
    apparently you and brucie do, and if you do please illuminate me so
    that I may eat some crow.

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 23, 2003
  18. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:19:56 -0700, TechnoHippie
    <> wrote:

    >You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it as
    >a solution but only for IE.
    >
    >brucie is not a troll

    I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
    that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
    of resizing nor the image toolbar.

    Let's put the shoe on the other foot, scenario: you have just gotten a
    used computer (to see if it is all that worth it, why spend the money
    when you may not use it all that much?) and it has let's say Windows
    95 with IE version 4. I give you the directions (the ones that you
    wrote) and you go that route and find, much to your amazement and
    consternation that there is no listing for resizing nor the image
    toolbar. You mention this back in a reply, then I realize my error
    and reply with the vernacular: "My Bad" and mention that those
    instructions were meant for users of IE6 as any previous version of
    Internet Explorer that would not apply due to that feature not being
    developed yet.

    Also, I never said he was a troll, I don't call people names, unless
    of course it might be Saddam Hussein, or ObL. I most certainly do not
    call women names.

    Words that I do not use:

    F word
    MF word

    Rarely use:

    D word

    Not too often:

    S word

    If I wake up late, I might utter the "S" word and that is it.

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 23, 2003
  19. bbxrider

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Andrew H. Carter wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:19:56 -0700, TechnoHippie
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it
    >> as a solution but only for IE.
    >>

    > I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
    > that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
    > of resizing nor the image toolbar.

    Therefore users of versions of IE previous to 6 don't need those
    instructions to stop it resizing their images because their images won't be
    resized in the first place.

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jun 23, 2003
  20. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:19:58 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
    <> wrote:

    >Therefore users of versions of IE previous to 6 don't need those
    >instructions to stop it resizing their images because their images won't be
    >resized in the first place.

    Okay, I admit I'm going mental and that it just now dawned on me that
    it won't automagically resize in previous versions, but have you ever
    gone to Webshots? But still, a person just jumping in to the WWW and
    Usenet, might get a li'l bit confused w/out clarification, hence I was
    endeavouring to make it clear. :)

    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. "eating some crow" Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 23, 2003