any way to shrink down jpg pic with html

bbxrider

i'm really scared to reply now, but here goes, please bear with me

when i created the image it was a a screen shot, shft/prnt scr, then saved
1st in paint as bmp,
then opened in imaging and saved as jpg, maybe the answer to this is get a
real graphics editor, this is the only way i could get to jpg from a screen
shot with these editors, whew, ok

when i inserted the image, my web page editor, easyhtml, set the width and
hgt to 1280x1024
i tried changing that to lower counts but the resulting resolution was
really poor
so this does not work in this case, which is why i posted the orignal
question, 1000 posts ago :>)

Richard

Andrew H. Carter said:
Wouldn't you want to specify the width as well so it wouldn't get
squished like some of the "spaghetti westerns"? :)

I've found it doesn't seem to matter. If you made it a fixed 200x200 format
for both arguments, then it appears to adjust as needed. With neither going
over the set value.
So if you had a 200x220 pic, it would reduce to fit accordingly.

Mark Parnell

bbxrider said:
i'm really scared to reply now, but here goes, please bear with me

when i created the image it was a a screen shot, shft/prnt scr, then
saved 1st in paint as bmp,
then opened in imaging and saved as jpg, maybe the answer to this is
get a real graphics editor, this is the only way i could get to jpg
from a screen shot with these editors, whew, ok

when i inserted the image, my web page editor, easyhtml, set the
width and hgt to 1280x1024
i tried changing that to lower counts but the resulting resolution was
really poor
so this does not work in this case, which is why i posted the orignal
question, 1000 posts ago :>)

And the original answer still stands :) Use an image editor to reduce the
size of the image. If you don't have one, someone mentioned IrfanView
before - it is free.

TechnoHippie

The point is that I made reference to Internet Explorer Version 6
(IE6), whereas you made reference to Internet Explorer. How many
older versions are still out there being used, I've no idea, but
apparently you and brucie do, and if you do please illuminate me so
that I may eat some crow.

Oh, come on, Andrew. You're splitting hairs, now. Everybody, buy
everybody who uses IE always uses the latest version because they're
justifiably afraid not to. You are singling out one solution for one
browser and nitpicking to the point that I'm not much interested
anymore. I also gave about three other options and explained the ups
and downs of each ... I didn't pick on IE or forget that there were
other browsers.

Wipkip

TechnoHippie said:
I know. I told everybody in AWW that I only read and lurk here. I
tried to stop myself. I really did. I usually just compose my
replies then trash them with the faith that you or brucie and a few
others will surely say what I had to say and say it better. I just
couldn't stop myself and now I'm sorry cause some goon can't read.
You should never group me with brucie & the others that know what they are doing. I am just a dumb
amateur compared to those guys, & a chick or 2. ;)

rf

I thought you were off to the pub :)
Oh, come on, Andrew. You're splitting hairs, now. Everybody, buy
everybody who uses IE always uses the latest version because they're
justifiably afraid not to.

Everybody I know that uses IE would not even know how to install a new
version. They use the one that came with the system they purchased 4 years
ago. They probably don't even know there *are* different versions. Many of
them don't even know there are different versions of _Windows_ :-(

Cheers
Richard.

TechnoHippie

I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
of resizing nor the image toolbar.

Bullshit. Mine does. Mine is v6. It's in options. Enable image
resize. It's a pain so I disabled it.
Also, I never said he was a troll, I don't call people names, unless
of course it might be Saddam Hussein, or ObL. I most certainly do not
call women names.

Words that I do not use:

F word
MF word

Rarely use:

D word

Not too often:

S word

If I wake up late, I might utter the "S" word and that is it.

Most frequently used word in my house: opps

Judy

TechnoHippie

Okay, I admit I'm going mental and that it just now dawned on me that
it won't automagically resize in previous versions, but have you ever
gone to Webshots? But still, a person just jumping in to the WWW and
Usenet, might get a li'l bit confused w/out clarification, hence I was
endeavouring to make it clear. :)

Okay then ... I'll cry uncle. I was just speaking on the premise that
anyone who uses IE is most likely to have upgraded or hotpatched to the
point where the experience in nearly universal. I don't want to fight
about it.

William Tasso

Andrew said:
Let's put the shoe on the other foot, scenario: you have just gotten a
used computer (to see if it is all that worth it, why spend the money
when you may not use it all that much?) and it has let's say Windows
95 with IE version 4...

used computers are delivered without software.

The security risks to both the vendor and purchaser are too considerable to
ignore.

Andrew H. Carter

Oh, come on, Andrew. You're splitting hairs, now. Everybody, buy
everybody who uses IE always uses the latest version because they're
justifiably afraid not to.

<hug>Not fighting</hug>, but the only reason that I have IE6 is that
for me to make full use of my Micro$oft Multimedia keyboard I have to
have IE6 installed, now go figure, IE6 is on the keyboard driver
installation CD, but the only way you would know it is to browse the
CD. Also IE 6 is required for Micro$oft Works, which I thought of
upgrading to 7.0 from 4.5a, well in the installation process, or
shortly afterwards I lost my old templates, or deleted them.

There are a limited choices of resume templates available with 7.0 and
it has that nauseous XP GUI, which I much prefer the 98 GUI, that or
LCARS. IMHO, the pastels that I have seen on XP/IE6.0 belong to
easter eggs, the type you find in the yard, not the software type.

As for media players, I can't stand the resource hogs which is why now
that I have found Winamp (using it for some time now), I shall stick
with it and as 3.0 has gone the route of resource hog, I shan't go
past 2.9 .

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

rf

William Tasso said:
used computers are delivered without software.

Not over here they aren't. They are delivered with the software that
originally came with them, including the OEM installation CDs. I bought one
just the other day. Has Windows 98 on it, reinstalled from the original
emergency reformat/reinstall CD.

Cheers
Richard.

Andrew H. Carter

used computers are delivered without software.

Wouldn't that depend upon the relationship between the buyer and
seller?
The security risks to both the vendor and purchaser are too considerable to
ignore.

What if, using a Compaq Win98/98SE, you've probably done more OS
reformats/reinstalls than you have fingers and toes? Also you've done
NSA type of overwriting of your freespace, wouldn't that solve
security issues as far as recoverable sensitive data? Or are you
talking some other security measure?

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

William Tasso

rf said:
Not over here they aren't. They are delivered with the software that
originally came with them, including the OEM installation CDs. I
bought one just the other day. Has Windows 98 on it, reinstalled from
the original emergency reformat/reinstall CD.

really - oh well live and learn.

IME 2nd user PCs are supplied by either:

corporates (I'm picking up two servers this morning) and never come with any
software because their inventory system/licencing model doesn't allow it.

or

enthusiastic amateurs who will keep the licence for their new lump of
hardware cobbled together from various bits advertised in the comics^w trade
press

bbxrider

wow thanx again, xnview is great, have only been able to use it so far at
geocities
http://www.geocities.com/bbxrider/dna.html?1056356008448
the resolution there is not what it can be
i have to figure out how to code the "file:" part of img src for a local
file that is on the server, in the same directory as the webpage, i think
i'm making things easier for the server, to get the page right on my web
site. job1 for tomorrow,

William Tasso

PeterMcC said:
I read a report in the paper at the weekend about a centenarian WWI
veteran taking a tour through a virtual reality Somme. The
technicians mentioned to him that he was the oldest user of a VR
headset that they'd met and that he'd adapted to it remarkably well -
and asked him why he felt that he had been able to accommodate the
new technology so easily. He replied "Whisky and cigarettes". I'm
pinning my hopes on his being right.

LOL: There's hope for us all.