Anybody knows how to implement Comet with JavaServlet?

Discussion in 'Java' started by tony, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. tony

    tony Guest

    tony, Jun 21, 2007

  2. tony

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:12:39 +0800, tony <>

    >I want to implement Comet
    >(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)) using java servlet.
    >Anybody familiar with this? Thank you!

    You mean predicting the orbits of comets? I worked on this back in
    the early 60s using punch cards and Fortran II. I later did it with
    planets and the moon, for the Univac 90/30.

    see http://mindprod.com/projects/celestial.html
    which is a project outline for how you might proceed.

    I would ignore the servlet part until you get your calculations down
    pat, then package that up in a Servlet.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jun 29, 2007

  3. On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:52:45 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:12:39 +0800, tony <>
    >
    >>I want to implement Comet
    >>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)) using java servlet.
    >>Anybody familiar with this? Thank you!

    > You mean predicting the orbits of comets?

    If you looked at the link he posted (and you quoted) you'd know that
    he means:

    "... a programming technique that enables web servers to send data
    to the client without having any need for the client to request it".

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jun 29, 2007
  4. tony

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 29 Jun 2007 14:16:03 GMT, Gordon Beaton <> wrote,

    >>>I want to implement Comet
    >>>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)) using java servlet.
    >>>Anybody familiar with this? Thank you!

    >> You mean predicting the orbits of comets?

    >If you looked at the link he posted (and you quoted) you'd know that
    >he means:
    >
    > "... a programming technique that enables web servers to send data
    > to the client without having any need for the client to request it".

    I clicked his link and it took me to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet which is all about celestial
    comets.

    I gather the problem is Agent (my newsreader) did not believe the
    _(programming) was part of the URL.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)

    I should have sent him to http://mindprod.com/jgloss/comet.html
    Roedy Green, Jun 29, 2007