Anybody using their Java IDE with the C++ plugin?

Ramon F Herrera

I have been developing C/C++ using vi and telnet/ssh for too long, and
would like to have a richer GUI front end under Windows to do backend
Unix/Linux programming.

I am trying to decide whether to use Eclipse or NetBeans, plus the
respective C++ plugin. I have experience with both IDEs, but only for
Java development.

Thanks for you kind advice...

-Ramon

Ian Shef

I have been developing C/C++ using vi and telnet/ssh for too long, and
would like to have a richer GUI front end under Windows to do backend
Unix/Linux programming.

I am trying to decide whether to use Eclipse or NetBeans, plus the
respective C++ plugin. I have experience with both IDEs, but only for
Java development.
<snip>
A couple of years ago, I used Eclipse with a plug-in to do C programming. It
was better than using an editor, especially when it came to doing debugging.

The initial setup was tricky.
The plug-in did not give me all of the power of the Java environment. For
example, there was no concurrent compiling and notification of errors, there
was no refactoring, etc.

Still, it beat using an editor, and it beat inserting print statements,
learning the language of a debugger, and referring to source listings.

Arne Vajhøj

I have been developing C/C++ using vi and telnet/ssh for too long, and
would like to have a richer GUI front end under Windows to do backend
Unix/Linux programming.

I am trying to decide whether to use Eclipse or NetBeans, plus the
respective C++ plugin. I have experience with both IDEs, but only for
Java development.

Thanks for you kind advice...

Eclipse C/C++ plugin is both stable and good today. I like it.

Arne

Ramon F Herrera

> Eclipse C/C++ plugin is both stable and good today. I like it.
>
> Arne

Arne,

Do you use the plugin with remote development or only with local
filesystem?

For remote: do I need NFS/file sharing or only SSH?

TIA,

-Ramon

Arved Sandstrom

Ramon said:
I have been developing C/C++ using vi and telnet/ssh for too long, and
would like to have a richer GUI front end under Windows to do backend
Unix/Linux programming.

I am trying to decide whether to use Eclipse or NetBeans, plus the
respective C++ plugin. I have experience with both IDEs, but only for
Java development.

Thanks for you kind advice...

-Ramon
I've tried out NetBeans C and C++ on a few projects; it does pretty well.

Perhaps you should try the C/C++ support for the IDE that you are most
familiar with.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

Do you use the plugin with remote development or only with local
filesystem?

For remote: do I need NFS/file sharing or only SSH?

Only with local file system.

Source control is used for remote access! :)

Arne