    from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    interested.

    Thanks

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006

  2. "Blaze Bresko" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    > create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    > database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    > could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    > written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    > from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    > interested.

    I've always wanted to make a game!

    --
    LTP

    :)

    Luc The Perverse, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Blaze Bresko

    Blaze Bresko Guest

    Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > I've always wanted to make a game!

    Alright then. Are you experienced in any programming languages? Do you
    have any friends that could help?

    I think if we do this right we could seriously put up a real game on
    the internet. But we couldn't put up much more than PacMan with two
    people. Anyone else up for a game?

    --Andrew

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Blaze Bresko

    Bart Cremers Guest

    Blaze Bresko schreef:

    > Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > > I've always wanted to make a game!

    > Alright then. Are you experienced in any programming languages? Do you
    > have any friends that could help?
    >
    > I think if we do this right we could seriously put up a real game on
    > the internet. But we couldn't put up much more than PacMan with two
    > people. Anyone else up for a game?
    >
    > --Andrew

    Online Multiplayer PacMan, how cool is that!! Anyway, I'm interested
    anyway, as long as it will be written in Java.

    Regards,

    Bart

    Bart Cremers, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Blaze Bresko

    Luke Webber Guest

    Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > "Blaze Bresko" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    >> create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    >> database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    >> could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    >> written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    >> from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    >> interested.

    > I've always wanted to make a game!

    Me too. What an opportunity! It's been, what, 2 days since an offer like
    this turned up in this group? Let's grab it, quick and avoid the rush! <g>

    Luke

    Luke Webber, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Blaze Bresko

    HappyViral Guest

    I m also intrested.

    This is really a nice task.

    HappyViral, Jul 26, 2006
  7. Blaze Bresko

    Blaze Bresko Guest

    Re: I m also intrested.

    HappyViral wrote:
    > This is really a nice task.
    >
    > Blaze Bresko wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    > > create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    > > database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    > > could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    > > written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    > > from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    > > interested.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Okay everybody we're moving over to our own group. Unless anybody can
    find a forum then we are moving to <a
    href="http://grou-ps.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame/">here</a>...so
    go there and join and post and all that.

    --Thanks
    --Andrew

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006
  8. Blaze Bresko

    Blaze Bresko Guest

    Re: I m also intrested.

    Blaze Bresko wrote:
    > HappyViral wrote:
    > > This is really a nice task.
    > >
    > > Blaze Bresko wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    > > > create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    > > > database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    > > > could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    > > > written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    > > > from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    > > > interested.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    > Okay everybody we're moving over to our own group. Unless anybody can
    > find a forum then we are moving to <a
    > href="http://grou-ps.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame/">here</a>...so
    > go there and join and post and all that.
    >
    > --Thanks
    > --Andrew

    Okay it put a dash in groups so either just delete the dash or go to
    here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame

    I've already added you into the group. Everyone except
    because you don't accept other people to invite and
    join you.

    Well guys, let's get crackin!

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006
  9. Blaze Bresko

    Blaze Bresko Guest

    Re: I m also intrested.

    Blaze Bresko wrote:
    > Blaze Bresko wrote:
    > > HappyViral wrote:
    > > > This is really a nice task.

    > > Okay everybody we're moving over to our own group. Unless anybody can
    > > find a forum then we are moving to <a
    > > href="http://grou-ps.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame/">here</a>...so
    > > go there and join and post and all that.
    > >
    > > --Thanks
    > > --Andrew

    > Okay it put a dash in groups so either just delete the dash or go to
    > here:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame
    >
    > I've already added you into the group. Everyone except
    > because you don't accept other people to invite and
    > join you.
    >
    > Well guys, let's get crackin!

    Wrong link...here ya go:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/heyletsmakeagame

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006
  10. Blaze Bresko

    Blaze Bresko Guest

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006
  11. Blaze Bresko

    Blaze Bresko Guest

    Re: I m also intrested.

    WOW, last mistake, I promise.

    Okay here is the link to our new google group ignore all of the other
    links please:
    http://groups.google.com/group/LetsMakeAGame2/

    Welcome and thanks for helping make our game.

    Blaze Bresko, Jul 26, 2006
  12. Blaze Bresko

    Chris Smith Guest

    Blaze Bresko <> wrote:
    > I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    > create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    > database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    > could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    > written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    > from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    > interested.

    Here's my rant again.

    If you want to start a successful cooperative software project, the
    first rule is simple: write some code. There are WAY too many people
    aroujnd who are just bursting with things that other people should do.
    Unfortunately, the free software phenomenon has become quite attractive
    for these people... but they are NOT the people who start successful
    free software projects.

    Linus Torvalds didn't post to a newsgroup to ask "anybody wanna make an
    operating system kernel?" Richard Stallman didn't post to a newsgroup
    to ask "Anybody wanna build a text editor?" These things happened
    because someone wrote the code. The community aspect comes later.
    After all, who wants to join a project led by someone who's incapable of
    writing code? As it turns out, most people who would join such a
    project are people who can't write code themselves, either... and then
    things are really doomed.

    If you've got a *really* great idea, then that might be an exception;
    but "let's write a game" definitely doesn't qualify. Write your own
    game, then see if people are interested.

    --
    Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jul 27, 2006
  13. Blaze Bresko

    dxuranus Guest

    Blaze Bresko wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    > create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    > database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    > could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    > written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    > from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    > interested.
    >
    > Thanks

    i like game and i like java too.
    it's a great idea.

    dxuranus, Jul 28, 2006
  14. Blaze Bresko

    Chiappone Guest

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > Blaze Bresko <> wrote:
    > > I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
    > > create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
    > > database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
    > > could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
    > > written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
    > > from scratch. Email me at or reply if you are
    > > interested.

    > Here's my rant again.
    >
    > If you want to start a successful cooperative software project, the
    > first rule is simple: write some code. There are WAY too many people
    > aroujnd who are just bursting with things that other people should do.
    > Unfortunately, the free software phenomenon has become quite attractive
    > for these people... but they are NOT the people who start successful
    > free software projects.
    >
    > Linus Torvalds didn't post to a newsgroup to ask "anybody wanna make an
    > operating system kernel?" Richard Stallman didn't post to a newsgroup
    > to ask "Anybody wanna build a text editor?" These things happened
    > because someone wrote the code. The community aspect comes later.
    > After all, who wants to join a project led by someone who's incapable of
    > writing code? As it turns out, most people who would join such a
    > project are people who can't write code themselves, either... and then
    > things are really doomed.
    >
    > If you've got a *really* great idea, then that might be an exception;
    > but "let's write a game" definitely doesn't qualify. Write your own
    > game, then see if people are interested.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
    > MindIQ Corporation

    I agree with Chris Smith. As I think, this act will just group a lot of
    people that likes to play games and works with Java. Not who is really
    interested about make a game.
    I am currently coding something to a high school project. At the last
    of the year it might be finished. Then I'll group some friends that
    likes programming (not just Java) and improve it.
    But I wish a good luck for you, as I want it for me too :)

    Good luck.

    Chiappone, Jul 31, 2006
  15. "Chiappone" <> wrote in message
    >> If you've got a *really* great idea, then that might be an exception;
    >> but "let's write a game" definitely doesn't qualify. Write your own
    >> game, then see if people are interested.

    > I agree with Chris Smith. As I think, this act will just group a lot of
    > people that likes to play games and works with Java. Not who is really
    > interested about make a game.

    Whoa! I agree with Chris for the most part - though I am attempting to
    engage in this game making endevor. But Chris was not saying that people
    here don't want to make a game - he was saying that the OP was going about
    it the wrong way.

    > I am currently coding something to a high school project. At the last
    > of the year it might be finished. Then I'll group some friends that
    > likes programming (not just Java) and improve it.
    > But I wish a good luck for you, as I want it for me too :)

    Why thank you :)

    --
    LTP

    :)

    Luc The Perverse, Jul 31, 2006
  16. Blaze Bresko

    Chris Smith Guest

    Luc The Perverse <> wrote:
    > Whoa! I agree with Chris for the most part - though I am attempting to
    > engage in this game making endevor. But Chris was not saying that people
    > here don't want to make a game - he was saying that the OP was going about
    > it the wrong way.

    Indeed.

    In fact, reading over my post, I didn't say it quite right. What I
    meant to say, mainly, is that it's very risky to join such a project
    without there being any kind of product. After all, someone could join
    and find out later that: (a) the project leader can't write code after
    all; (b) the code is horrendously bad; (c) they disagree with the
    project leader about what constitutes good software; etc. If this
    happens, then someone has wasted their time in producing whatever
    they've done to date. This then has the potential to get messy.

    The flip side of the issue is equally problematic, if not more so.
    There's no code yet, so the leader has to accept people as part of the
    project merely because they say that they are. Functional free software
    projects don't work that way. They operate the simple principle that if
    you want to be a developer, you should first write code. If you
    consistently write good code, you are given more responsibility. This
    protects the project, and ensures that high quality code remains the
    norm. It also provides a measure of protection against a certain kind
    of developer (a distressingly common one) who requires more of other
    people's time than what they actually contribute by being afraid to
    write anything without first holding a week-long mailing list discussion
    about how to do it. Without having code, there's a risk of accumulating
    developers (and perhaps even a project leader) who aren't actually
    contributing, but continue to suck away time and resources by endlessly
    discussing things.

    Chris Smith, Jul 31, 2006