Anybody want to make a game?

Blaze Bresko

Hi,

I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
from scratch. Email me at (e-mail address removed) or reply if you are
interested.

Thanks

Luc The Perverse

Blaze Bresko said:
Hi,

I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
from scratch. Email me at (e-mail address removed) or reply if you are
interested.

I've always wanted to make a game!

Blaze Bresko

Luc said:
I've always wanted to make a game!

Alright then. Are you experienced in any programming languages? Do you
have any friends that could help?

I think if we do this right we could seriously put up a real game on
the internet. But we couldn't put up much more than PacMan with two
people. Anyone else up for a game?

--Andrew

Bart Cremers

Blaze Bresko schreef:
Alright then. Are you experienced in any programming languages? Do you
have any friends that could help?

I think if we do this right we could seriously put up a real game on
the internet. But we couldn't put up much more than PacMan with two
people. Anyone else up for a game?

--Andrew

Online Multiplayer PacMan, how cool is that!! Anyway, I'm interested
anyway, as long as it will be written in Java.

Regards,

Bart

Luke Webber

Luc said:
I've always wanted to make a game!

Me too. What an opportunity! It's been, what, 2 days since an offer like
this turned up in this group? Let's grab it, quick and avoid the rush! <g>

Luke

Blaze Bresko

Blaze said:
Okay everybody we're moving over to our own group. Unless anybody can
find a forum then we are moving to <a
href="http://grou-ps.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame/">here</a>...so
go there and join and post and all that.

--Thanks
--Andrew

Okay it put a dash in groups so either just delete the dash or go to
here:
http://groups.google.com/group/heyletsmakeagame

I've already added you into the group. Everyone except
(e-mail address removed) because you don't accept other people to invite and
join you.

Well guys, let's get crackin!

Chris Smith

Blaze Bresko said:
I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
from scratch. Email me at (e-mail address removed) or reply if you are
interested.

Here's my rant again.

If you want to start a successful cooperative software project, the
first rule is simple: write some code. There are WAY too many people
aroujnd who are just bursting with things that other people should do.
Unfortunately, the free software phenomenon has become quite attractive
for these people... but they are NOT the people who start successful
free software projects.

Linus Torvalds didn't post to a newsgroup to ask "anybody wanna make an
operating system kernel?" Richard Stallman didn't post to a newsgroup
to ask "Anybody wanna build a text editor?" These things happened
because someone wrote the code. The community aspect comes later.
After all, who wants to join a project led by someone who's incapable of
writing code? As it turns out, most people who would join such a
project are people who can't write code themselves, either... and then
things are really doomed.

If you've got a *really* great idea, then that might be an exception;
but "let's write a game" definitely doesn't qualify. Write your own
game, then see if people are interested.

dxuranus

Blaze said:
Hi,

I was curious if anybody out there would like to join a dev team and
create a real online game. I can purchase the domain name and the
database and all of that stuff, but I think it would be awesome if we
could have a real team working on a game. The game would most likely be
written in Java, but that could easily be changed, for I am starting
from scratch. Email me at (e-mail address removed) or reply if you are
interested.

Thanks
i like game and i like java too.
it's a great idea.

Chiappone

Chris said:
[...]

I agree with Chris Smith. As I think, this act will just group a lot of
people that likes to play games and works with Java. Not who is really
interested about make a game.
I am currently coding something to a high school project. At the last
of the year it might be finished. Then I'll group some friends that
likes programming (not just Java) and improve it.
But I wish a good luck for you, as I want it for me too :)

Good luck.

Luc The Perverse

Chiappone said:
I agree with Chris Smith. As I think, this act will just group a lot of
people that likes to play games and works with Java. Not who is really
interested about make a game.

Whoa! I agree with Chris for the most part - though I am attempting to
engage in this game making endevor. But Chris was not saying that people
here don't want to make a game - he was saying that the OP was going about
it the wrong way.
I am currently coding something to a high school project. At the last
of the year it might be finished. Then I'll group some friends that
likes programming (not just Java) and improve it.
But I wish a good luck for you, as I want it for me too :)

Why thank you :)

Chris Smith

Luc The Perverse said:
Whoa! I agree with Chris for the most part - though I am attempting to
engage in this game making endevor. But Chris was not saying that people
here don't want to make a game - he was saying that the OP was going about
it the wrong way.

Indeed.

In fact, reading over my post, I didn't say it quite right. What I
meant to say, mainly, is that it's very risky to join such a project
without there being any kind of product. After all, someone could join
and find out later that: (a) the project leader can't write code after
all; (b) the code is horrendously bad; (c) they disagree with the
project leader about what constitutes good software; etc. If this
happens, then someone has wasted their time in producing whatever
they've done to date. This then has the potential to get messy.

The flip side of the issue is equally problematic, if not more so.
There's no code yet, so the leader has to accept people as part of the
project merely because they say that they are. Functional free software
projects don't work that way. They operate the simple principle that if
you want to be a developer, you should first write code. If you
consistently write good code, you are given more responsibility. This
protects the project, and ensures that high quality code remains the
norm. It also provides a measure of protection against a certain kind
of developer (a distressingly common one) who requires more of other
people's time than what they actually contribute by being afraid to
write anything without first holding a week-long mailing list discussion
about how to do it. Without having code, there's a risk of accumulating
developers (and perhaps even a project leader) who aren't actually
contributing, but continue to suck away time and resources by endlessly
discussing things.