Anyone care to help explain forms authentication in 2.0?

Darrel

I'm reading up on some tutorials on using forms authentication in ASP.net
2.0

I'm confused.

In 1.1, I created a table in my DB for users, wrote a page for the login
form, then added this to my webconfig:

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="login" loginUrl="/login.aspx" defaultUrl="default.aspx"
protection="All" timeout="60" path="/" requireSSL="false"
slidingExpiration="true" enableCrossAppRedirects="false"
cookieless="UseDeviceProfile" domain="">
</forms>

My asp.net app seems to be ignoring all of that.

In reading up on 2.0's methods, I get really confused. I use IIS to set up
forms authentication. But changing info there doesn't seem to change
anything in my web config file. Where is this actually stored? How do I
deploy my app to another server if I have to set up forms authenticatino via
IIS? Can I still use the manual method from 1.1?

-Darrel

Darrel

In reading up on 2.0's methods, I get really confused. I use IIS to set up
forms authentication. But changing info there doesn't seem to change
anything in my web config file. Where is this actually stored? How do I
deploy my app to another server if I have to set up forms authenticatino
via IIS? Can I still use the manual method from 1.1?

Apologies. I asked something that turned out to be relatively painless.

Just went through a tutorial on using the new authetnication controls. I
must say, I'm impressed! That was easy!

Follow up question...how does the built-in ASPNETDB.MDF file work? If I'm
working locally, no problem. To build and deploy the site, though, does
anything special have to be done? Do I just upload my files along with the
DB file? Can other apps access this same DB file easily?

-Darrel