Anyone compiling Python 2.3 on an SCO OpenServer 5 box?

Mike Kent

If anyone is successfully compiling Pyton 2.3 on an SCO OpenServer 5
box, I'd appreciate hearing from you on how you managed to do it. So
far, I'm unable to get a python that doesn't coredump.

Aurelio Martin

Mike said:
If anyone is successfully compiling Pyton 2.3 on an SCO OpenServer 5
box, I'd appreciate hearing from you on how you managed to do it. So
far, I'm unable to get a python that doesn't coredump.

Hey, I remember trying to compile Python 1.5 on an SCO OpenServer 5 box
back in 1997 ! It was a mess so I downloaded an SCO binary instead (I
think, my memory is not what it used to be, or is it?).

Why do you want to compile it ? You can download a binary Python 2.3.4
from SCO Skunkware website, at http://www.caldera.com/skunkware/

Your URL:

ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/python-2.3.4-VOLS.cpio

Regards

Aurelio

Mike Kent

I need to compile Python on OpenServer 5 because I need to 'freeze'
our Python app, and running 'freeze' requires a working, compilable
source installation of Python.

rbsharp

I have a lot to do with Python and SCO but I never got above Python2.2
but that probably relates to the fact that I need to statically link
some libraries into python. My notes on this subject are that if you
need dynamic linking configure has a problem finding libdl.so, and that
therefore you have to use the compiler flag "-b elf", before you do
../configure. I do it with:
CC=cc
CFLAGS="'-b elf"'

If you already have done a configure, you might need to do "make clean"
and possibly delete config.cache to make sure configure starts from
scratch.

Regards,
Richard Sharp