    in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2012

  2. dorayme

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    I juar have to say this:

    TROLL POST!

    Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
    have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
    I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
    you could use.

    www.dynamicdrive.com

    try them out.
    richard, Dec 10, 2012

  3. 2012-12-10 7:49, dorayme wrote:

    > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    It's probably simplest (at least for an experienced person like you) to
    write your own code than to look for existing code, find something, and
    then find it wanting so that you need to tweak it, and eventually
    realize that it would have been faster to do it all yourself. :)

    For robustness and accessibility, you should probably create a set of
    pages, each containing an image, possibly a caption for it, and a link
    to the next page. You could make the page autofocus on the link (as
    there is very little else on the page), so that the user can just hit Enter,

    For a smoother experience, on supporting browsers, you could use an
    application manifest to load all the images initially. You could do this
    with JavaScript too, of course.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 10, 2012
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ka47do$a0f$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > 2012-12-10 7:49, dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    > It's probably simplest (at least for an experienced person like you) to
    > write your own code than to look for existing code, find something, and
    > then find it wanting so that you need to tweak it, and eventually
    > realize that it would have been faster to do it all yourself. :)

    I am starting to think this is the only way. Seemed like a good idea
    to ask in case anyone has come across any really good facility.

    > For robustness and accessibility, you should probably create a set of
    > pages, each containing an image, possibly a caption for it, and a link
    > to the next page.

    Which is what I have always in the past done, you are right. It makes
    for rock solid.

    > You could make the page autofocus on the link (as
    > there is very little else on the page), so that the user can just hit Enter,
    >
    > For a smoother experience, on supporting browsers, you could use an
    > application manifest to load all the images initially. You could do this
    > with JavaScript too, of course.

    Yes, thanks.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2012
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <tmw556w8xxh9$>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    > I juar have to say this:
    >
    > TROLL POST!
    >
    > Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
    > have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
    > I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
    > you could use.
    >
    > www.dynamicdrive.com

    Like the first one that comes up in Image Slideshows as "DHTML slide
    show (manual) FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+". IE5? FF!

    > try them out.

    It never ceases to amaze me that usenet replies so often miss that
    sometimes a question is out of respect for the knowledge and
    experience of regular contributors and visitors who might have come
    across particularly good ways to do this or that lately and might be
    happy to share.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2012
  6. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    Forget about tired old browsers?

    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZODY0NDc1ZmMtMWQ4ZC00ZDhkLWI2YzYtMGUxMWExMjQyNTYy

    Depending on the browser, google may muck up the encoding just a bit. May not
    display the double angle quotation marks.

    #lightbox [id^='nav'] label:first-child:before {
    content: '«';
    }

    #lightbox [id^='nav'] label:last-child:before {
    content: '»';

    • No javascript

    • css3

    • base64 encoded images

    • modern browsers only no IE 8 or less

    --
    BootNic Mon Dec 10, 2012 09:09 am
    Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts

    BootNic, Dec 10, 2012
  7. dorayme

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:31:14 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <tmw556w8xxh9$>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    >>> creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    >>> in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    >> I juar have to say this:
    >>
    >> TROLL POST!
    >>
    >> Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
    >> have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
    >> I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
    >> you could use.
    >>
    >> www.dynamicdrive.com
    >>

    > Like the first one that comes up in Image Slideshows as "DHTML slide
    > show (manual) FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+". IE5? FF!
    >
    >> try them out.

    > It never ceases to amaze me that usenet replies so often miss that
    > sometimes a question is out of respect for the knowledge and
    > experience of regular contributors and visitors who might have come
    > across particularly good ways to do this or that lately and might be
    > happy to share.

    Ya know, I don't believe javascript cares which version the browser is.
    The script was created to work in virtually any browser.
    I pointed to dynamicdrive only as one possible source of the scripts.
    With a little looking, you could find a few that fit your needs.
    richard, Dec 10, 2012
  8. dorayme

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    www.1littleworld.net/brucie/slideshow.php

    Simple, nice slideshow that works.
    richard, Dec 11, 2012
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ka4h4a$d9o$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are in
    > > a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    > Remember brucie?

    Yes, he was just leaving when I came in.

    > This may be useful. Here is his slideshow PHP script, which I think is
    > elegant. Easily modifiable for repeat usage - simply type in a few
    > variables for each show, save and upload. Best point: it is under 5 KB,
    > unlike those zillion-megabyte JavaScripts that RtS mentions (because he
    > can't write one).
    >
    > <http://tekrider.net/usenet/slideshow.php.txt>
    >
    > Naturally, you save it as a .php file. The .txt extension is added here so
    > you can look at it.
    >
    > brucie was an excellent programmer...

    Yes, I had a look at this as a result of your post and got a basic
    show going after a fashion, will consider styling it to suit. Thanks.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2012
  10. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    BootNic <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.
    > >

    > Forget about tired old browsers?
    >
    > > https://docs.google.com/open?id=...mMtMWQ4ZC00ZDhkLWI2YzYtM > GUxMWExMjQyNTYy >
    >
    > Depending on the browser, google may muck up the encoding just a bit. May not
    > display the double angle quotation marks.
    >
    > #lightbox [id^='nav'] label:first-child:before {
    > content: '«';
    > }
    >
    > #lightbox [id^='nav'] label:last-child:before {
    > content: '»';
    >
    > • No javascript
    >
    > • css3
    >
    > • base64 encoded images
    >
    > • modern browsers only no IE 8 or less

    Wanting but not *quite* willing to forget them! Thanks anyway.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2012
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > <http://tekrider.net/usenet/slideshow.php.txt>
    >
    > Naturally, you save it as a .php file. The .txt extension is added here so
    > you can look at it.

    A lot of servers have extension 'phps' as default dedicated for PHPSource...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 11, 2012
  12. dorayme

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 9, 11:49 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    I find that my last big automatic slide show was way back in 2002.
    Back then you had to worry more about viewers on dialup than now. Thus
    not only did you have to limit the size of jpg or gif files, but many
    used pre-loaders with a status bar to avoid the slide show stopping
    and restarting on dial-up connections This often was a separate page
    that redirected to the main page when pre-loading was complete. I used
    a free available pre-load page, but I had to make so many changes to
    get it to validate at W3C for xhtml strict that it likely would have
    been quicker to write the code from scratch.

    The slideshow page proper was mainly JavaScript and css. This
    controlled changing of images, resizing of images, positioning on the
    page etc. It also validated as xhtml strict. If I used this slideshow
    today, I likely would use server side php rather than JavaScript.
    There also was a choice of music with 2 buttons to turn it on if
    desired. Music formats used were wma and Real, and the quality was not
    very good because bandwidth had to be greatly limited because many
    viewers used dial-up then. The show worked on IE4 up and Netscape (and
    now Firefox ) as well as most modern browsers. Thus the JavaScript had
    to have a "document.all" path to handle IE4 as well as the modern
    "getElementByID" path that is standard today. I balked at using a
    third "layers" path needed for Netscape 4. This page also validated as
    xhtml strict and css. You could use a mix of jpg and gif images.
    Animated gifs also could be used to provide some motion, but these
    seem very crude today since the resolution of them must be very low to
    avoid too much bandwidth for dial-up.

    Today I likely would use flash for a slideshow. Although many flash
    pages do not validate, there is more than one way to write valid flash
    code. You can even author a slideshow in the highest resolution HD Blu-
    ray video with 96 KHz, 24-bit, 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed LPCM audio.
    However the bit rate becomes so high that it is far too much for the
    web.
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 13, 2012
  13. dorayme

    Idle Guest

    Idle, Dec 14, 2012
  14. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Dec 9, 11:49 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
    > > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
    > > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

    > I find that my last big automatic slide show was way back in 2002.
    > Back then you had to worry more about viewers on dialup than now. Thus
    > not only did you have to limit the size of jpg or gif files, but many
    > used pre-loaders with a status bar to avoid the slide show stopping
    > and restarting on dial-up connections This often was a separate page
    > that redirected to the main page when pre-loading was complete. I used
    > a free available pre-load page, but I had to make so many changes to
    > get it to validate at W3C for xhtml strict that it likely would have
    > been quicker to write the code from scratch.

    Yes, let me add that loading time is still an issue even on nominally
    fast broadband, how often do we experience slowdowns, congestions and
    so on, bit like the roads in Sydney at peak times, in spite of fancy
    freeways with multiple lanes! In other words, provisions for fast
    making webpages.

    > The slideshow page proper was mainly JavaScript and css. This
    > controlled changing of images, resizing of images, positioning on the
    > page etc. It also validated as xhtml strict. If I used this slideshow
    > today, I likely would use server side php rather than JavaScript.

    In messing about with PHP for slideshows (for example, the Brucie
    script mentioned earlier in the thread) especially on my own internal
    home server, I often noticed it did not have time to grab the CSS when
    the slides would go quickly (especially when set for only one or two
    seconds). In other words, that call to the server can take time and be
    something to cause stumbles.

    > There also was a choice of music with 2 buttons ...
    >
    > Today I likely would use flash for a slideshow. Although many flash
    > pages do not validate, there is more than one way to write valid flash
    > code. You can even author a slideshow in the highest resolution HD Blu-
    > ray video with 96 KHz, 24-bit, 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed LPCM audio.
    > However the bit rate becomes so high that it is far too much for the
    > web.

    I once used a Fireworks automate function to make a slideshow once, it
    produced a Flash slideshow.swf file that worked well enough. Had a
    classy feel to it. I got the HTML file to all but validate, all except
    for the embed element, good enough.

    But nothing so rock solid as simple gallery with clickable links that
    go to the enlargements on an HTML page that has navigation to go back
    and forth and up to the thumbnails (or to include the thumbnails on
    each page). All without js or Flash.

    When you think about the likelihoods, how much do people *really* want
    automation 9as opposed to like seeing cool. When I look at slideshows
    I want different times to look at the pics, some to skip through, some
    to study more. I am either impatient with constant timing, or I fall
    asleep and hurt my head when it drops. <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 14, 2012