Anyone created an online slideshow from a few jpgs?

dorayme

I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

richard

I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

I juar have to say this:

TROLL POST!

Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
you could use.

www.dynamicdrive.com

try them out.

Jukka K. Korpela

I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

It's probably simplest (at least for an experienced person like you) to
write your own code than to look for existing code, find something, and
then find it wanting so that you need to tweak it, and eventually
realize that it would have been faster to do it all yourself. :)

For robustness and accessibility, you should probably create a set of
pages, each containing an image, possibly a caption for it, and a link
to the next page. You could make the page autofocus on the link (as
there is very little else on the page), so that the user can just hit Enter,

For a smoother experience, on supporting browsers, you could use an
application manifest to load all the images initially. You could do this
with JavaScript too, of course.

dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela said:
It's probably simplest (at least for an experienced person like you) to
write your own code than to look for existing code, find something, and
then find it wanting so that you need to tweak it, and eventually
realize that it would have been faster to do it all yourself. :)

I am starting to think this is the only way. Seemed like a good idea
to ask in case anyone has come across any really good facility.
For robustness and accessibility, you should probably create a set of
pages, each containing an image, possibly a caption for it, and a link
to the next page.

Which is what I have always in the past done, you are right. It makes
for rock solid.
You could make the page autofocus on the link (as
there is very little else on the page), so that the user can just hit Enter,

For a smoother experience, on supporting browsers, you could use an
application manifest to load all the images initially. You could do this
with JavaScript too, of course.

Yes, thanks.

dorayme

richard said:
I juar have to say this:

TROLL POST!

Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
you could use.

www.dynamicdrive.com

Like the first one that comes up in Image Slideshows as "DHTML slide
show (manual) FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+". IE5? FF!
try them out.

It never ceases to amaze me that usenet replies so often miss that
sometimes a question is out of respect for the knowledge and
experience of regular contributors and visitors who might have come
across particularly good ways to do this or that lately and might be
happy to share.

BootNic

dorayme said:
I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

Forget about tired old browsers?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZODY0NDc1ZmMtMWQ4ZC00ZDhkLWI2YzYtMGUxMWExMjQyNTYy

Depending on the browser, google may muck up the encoding just a bit. May not
display the double angle quotation marks.

#lightbox [id^='nav'] label:first-child:before {
content: '«';
}

#lightbox [id^='nav'] label:last-child:before {
content: '»';

• No javascript

• css3

• base64 encoded images

• modern browsers only no IE 8 or less

--
BootNic Mon Dec 10, 2012 09:09 am
Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts

richard

Like the first one that comes up in Image Slideshows as "DHTML slide
show (manual) FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+". IE5? FF!

It never ceases to amaze me that usenet replies so often miss that
sometimes a question is out of respect for the knowledge and
experience of regular contributors and visitors who might have come
across particularly good ways to do this or that lately and might be
happy to share.

Ya know, I don't believe javascript cares which version the browser is.
The script was created to work in virtually any browser.
I pointed to dynamicdrive only as one possible source of the scripts.
With a little looking, you could find a few that fit your needs.

dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Remember brucie?

Yes, he was just leaving when I came in.
This may be useful. Here is his slideshow PHP script, which I think is
elegant. Easily modifiable for repeat usage - simply type in a few
variables for each show, save and upload. Best point: it is under 5 KB,
unlike those zillion-megabyte JavaScripts that RtS mentions (because he
can't write one).

<http://tekrider.net/usenet/slideshow.php.txt>

Naturally, you save it as a .php file. The .txt extension is added here so
you can look at it.

brucie was an excellent programmer...

Yes, I had a look at this as a result of your post and got a basic
show going after a fashion, will consider styling it to suit. Thanks.

dorayme

BootNic said:
dorayme said:
I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

Forget about tired old browsers?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZODY0NDc1ZmMtMWQ4ZC00ZDhkLWI2YzYtM GUxMWExMjQyNTYy

Depending on the browser, google may muck up the encoding just a bit. May not
display the double angle quotation marks.

#lightbox [id^='nav'] label:first-child:before {
content: '«';
}

#lightbox [id^='nav'] label:last-child:before {
content: '»';

• No javascript

• css3

• base64 encoded images

• modern browsers only no IE 8 or less

Wanting but not *quite* willing to forget them! Thanks anyway.

cwdjrxyz

I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

I find that my last big automatic slide show was way back in 2002.
Back then you had to worry more about viewers on dialup than now. Thus
not only did you have to limit the size of jpg or gif files, but many
used pre-loaders with a status bar to avoid the slide show stopping
and restarting on dial-up connections This often was a separate page
that redirected to the main page when pre-loading was complete. I used
a free available pre-load page, but I had to make so many changes to
get it to validate at W3C for xhtml strict that it likely would have
been quicker to write the code from scratch.

The slideshow page proper was mainly JavaScript and css. This
controlled changing of images, resizing of images, positioning on the
page etc. It also validated as xhtml strict. If I used this slideshow
today, I likely would use server side php rather than JavaScript.
There also was a choice of music with 2 buttons to turn it on if
desired. Music formats used were wma and Real, and the quality was not
very good because bandwidth had to be greatly limited because many
viewers used dial-up then. The show worked on IE4 up and Netscape (and
now Firefox ) as well as most modern browsers. Thus the JavaScript had
to have a "document.all" path to handle IE4 as well as the modern
"getElementByID" path that is standard today. I balked at using a
third "layers" path needed for Netscape 4. This page also validated as
xhtml strict and css. You could use a mix of jpg and gif images.
Animated gifs also could be used to provide some motion, but these
seem very crude today since the resolution of them must be very low to
avoid too much bandwidth for dial-up.

Today I likely would use flash for a slideshow. Although many flash
pages do not validate, there is more than one way to write valid flash
code. You can even author a slideshow in the highest resolution HD Blu-
ray video with 96 KHz, 24-bit, 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed LPCM audio.
However the bit rate becomes so high that it is far too much for the
web.

dorayme

cwdjrxyz said:
I find that my last big automatic slide show was way back in 2002.
Back then you had to worry more about viewers on dialup than now. Thus
not only did you have to limit the size of jpg or gif files, but many
used pre-loaders with a status bar to avoid the slide show stopping
and restarting on dial-up connections This often was a separate page
that redirected to the main page when pre-loading was complete. I used
a free available pre-load page, but I had to make so many changes to
get it to validate at W3C for xhtml strict that it likely would have
been quicker to write the code from scratch.

Yes, let me add that loading time is still an issue even on nominally
fast broadband, how often do we experience slowdowns, congestions and
so on, bit like the roads in Sydney at peak times, in spite of fancy
freeways with multiple lanes! In other words, provisions for fast
making webpages.
The slideshow page proper was mainly JavaScript and css. This
controlled changing of images, resizing of images, positioning on the
page etc. It also validated as xhtml strict. If I used this slideshow
today, I likely would use server side php rather than JavaScript.

In messing about with PHP for slideshows (for example, the Brucie
script mentioned earlier in the thread) especially on my own internal
home server, I often noticed it did not have time to grab the CSS when
the slides would go quickly (especially when set for only one or two
seconds). In other words, that call to the server can take time and be
something to cause stumbles.

There also was a choice of music with 2 buttons ...

Today I likely would use flash for a slideshow. Although many flash
pages do not validate, there is more than one way to write valid flash
code. You can even author a slideshow in the highest resolution HD Blu-
ray video with 96 KHz, 24-bit, 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed LPCM audio.
However the bit rate becomes so high that it is far too much for the
web.

I once used a Fireworks automate function to make a slideshow once, it
produced a Flash slideshow.swf file that worked well enough. Had a
classy feel to it. I got the HTML file to all but validate, all except
for the embed element, good enough.

But nothing so rock solid as simple gallery with clickable links that
go to the enlargements on an HTML page that has navigation to go back
and forth and up to the thumbnails (or to include the thumbnails on
each page). All without js or Flash.

When you think about the likelihoods, how much do people *really* want
automation 9as opposed to like seeing cool. When I look at slideshows
I want different times to look at the pics, some to skip through, some
to study more. I am either impatient with constant timing, or I fall
asleep and hurt my head when it drops. <g>