anyone design sites for AOL users? (re - pop/smtp stuff)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Axel Foley, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Axel Foley

    Axel Foley Guest

    I've designed a website for a friend who's on AOL.

    I've purchased a hosting package and set up email accounts for them. On a
    PC, when you set up a new email account, you enter the POP3 / SMTP servers +
    username + password into your default mail client.

    My question is this: is this "do-able" in AOL?

    I used to use AOL eons ago, but englightened I was and gone is AOL. (jeez i
    miss those mindless chatrooms...!)

    anyway folks / anybody know how an AOL client handles "other" mail servers?
    Or is my client stuck with web-based email?

    thanks for any hints...

    Axel

    Axel Foley, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Axel Foley wrote:

    > I've purchased a hosting package and set up email accounts for them. On a
    > PC, when you set up a new email account, you enter the POP3 / SMTP servers +
    > username + password into your default mail client.
    >
    > My question is this: is this "do-able" in AOL?

    AOL doesn't have any POP3 or SMTP servers. Their proprietary clients
    communicate with their proprietary servers by a proprietary protocol.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Axel Foley wrote:

    > I've purchased a hosting package and set up email accounts for them. On a
    > PC, when you set up a new email account, you enter the POP3 / SMTP servers +
    > username + password into your default mail client.

    PS: Of course your client can always download another mail client such as
    Thunderbird <http://mozilla.org/>, Eudora <http://eudora.com/> or M2
    <http://opera.com/> and use that to communicate with your servers.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Axel Foley

    Axel Foley Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > PS: Of course your client can always download another mail client such as
    > Thunderbird <http://mozilla.org/>, Eudora <http://eudora.com/> or M2
    > <http://opera.com/> and use that to communicate with your servers.

    Will these mail clients successfully fetch POP3 mail thru the AOL
    connection? Don't mail servers route thru specific ports? What I'm getting
    at is this: will the AOL connection allow the normal TCP/UDP ports to be
    accessed that are used for email on "normal" machines?

    Axel

    Axel Foley, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Axel Foley wrote:
    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote:
    >
    >> PS: Of course your client can always download another mail client such as
    >> Thunderbird <http://mozilla.org/>, Eudora <http://eudora.com/> or M2
    >> <http://opera.com/> and use that to communicate with your servers.

    > Will these mail clients successfully fetch POP3 mail thru the AOL
    > connection? Don't mail servers route thru specific ports? What I'm getting
    > at is this: will the AOL connection allow the normal TCP/UDP ports to be
    > accessed that are used for email on "normal" machines?

    As long as you're not trying to connect to *AOL's* servers they will work
    fine.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 10, 2004
  6. Axel Foley

    Adam Bailey Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    > Axel Foley wrote:
    >
    >> I've purchased a hosting package and set up email accounts for them. On a
    >> PC, when you set up a new email account, you enter the POP3 / SMTP servers +
    >> username + password into your default mail client.
    >>
    >> My question is this: is this "do-able" in AOL?

    > AOL doesn't have any POP3 or SMTP servers. Their proprietary clients
    > communicate with their proprietary servers by a proprietary protocol.

    This is no longer true (although AOL has IMAP, not POP3).

    http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/#3rd-party

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois

    Adam Bailey, Jul 26, 2004