Anyone else noticed a change in this group?

James Harris

Anyone else noticed a change in this group ten days ago - since about
7th February?

James

Jonathan Bromley

Anyone else noticed a change in this group ten days ago - since about
7th February?

Not I.

I noticed a big change a few months ago when the scum vendor of
designer knockoffs started spamming it. Since then, I've switched
to eternal-september as my news server and I just don't see the
spam, although I very occasionally lose real posts thanks to their
rather aggressive filtering.

However, the presence of the lowlife spammer does appear to have
discouraged real users; the volume of genuine traffic seems to
have fallen by at least a factor of 2 over that time. No
real measurement, just gut feel - sorry.

Andy

Not I.

I noticed a big change a few months ago when the scum vendor of
designer knockoffs started spamming it.  Since then, I've switched
to eternal-september as my news server and I just don't see the
spam, although I very occasionally lose real posts thanks to their
rather aggressive filtering.

However, the presence of the lowlife spammer does appear to have
discouraged real users; the volume of genuine traffic seems to
have fallen by at least a factor of 2 over that time.  No
real measurement, just gut feel - sorry.

For a while, the spam reporting tools seemed to be working on google
groups, and the spam was knocked down. But for the last few months,
until about Feb 7th, at least the reporting for c.l.vhdl was not
working or was being ignored. I kept reporting for a while, but after
a week or two with no results, I gave up. Glad to see they are getting
control of it.

Here's hoping the legitimate traffic picks back up. (it already seems
to have, at least a little)

Andy

James Harris

On Feb 17, 9:30 am, Jonathan Bromley <[email protected]>

For a while, the spam reporting tools seemed to be working on google
groups, and the spam was knocked down. But for the last few months,
until about Feb 7th, at least the reporting for c.l.vhdl was not
working or was being ignored. I kept reporting for a while, but after
a week or two with no results, I gave up. Glad to see they are getting
control of it.

Right. The spam which was flooding this group seems so far to have
ceased altogether. I know some reputable Usenet providers filtered it
anyway but it always showed up on Google (where at least some of it
appeared to come from). Now, for some reason, it has abruptly stopped
which is most welcome.

I don't know what's changed and I've only seen the effect on this
newsgroup so far but hopefully whatever is working continues to work.

James

Andy Botterill

Right. The spam which was flooding this group seems so far to have
ceased altogether. I know some reputable Usenet providers filtered it
anyway but it always showed up on Google (where at least some of it
appeared to come from). Now, for some reason, it has abruptly stopped
which is most welcome.
For all of january I sent a daily e-mail to the google abuse team
reporting spam articles. Crosses fingers hope it stays like this. Andy