    TIA,

    Larry Woods

    (cross-posted to ...inetserver.iis;inetserver.misc)

    Larry Woods, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Larry Woods

    Larry Woods Guest

    Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use the file
    name.

    Larry

    Larry Woods, Jul 8, 2004

  3. > Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use the
    > file
    > name.

    ? URL asks you to specify a file name (including the virtual path). File
    asks you to specify a file name (with the absolute path). I don't
    understand what bugs you.

    Remember, ASP can't process a file like c:\whatever\404.asp ... it has to be
    referenced as a URL, and loaded by the web server, in order to be processed.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 8, 2004
  4. Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 8, 2004
  5. Larry Woods

    CJM Guest

    AFAIK, relative URLs are valid (e.g. '/404.asp') so I dont think it gets any
    easier...

    CJM

    CJM, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Larry Woods

    Evertjan. Guest

    CJM wrote on 08 jul 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> > Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use
    >> > the file
    >> > name.

    >> ? URL asks you to specify a file name (including the virtual path).
    >> File asks you to specify a file name (with the absolute path). I
    >> don't understand what bugs you.
    >>
    >> Remember, ASP can't process a file like c:\whatever\404.asp ... it
    >> has to be
    >> referenced as a URL, and loaded by the web server, in order to be
    >> processed.

    > AFAIK, relative URLs are valid (e.g. '/404.asp') so I dont think it
    > gets any easier...

    [why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

    '/404.asp' is a virtual path

    '../../404.asp' is a relative path

    imho.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 8, 2004
  7. > [why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

    Because it's a preference, not a law.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 8, 2004
  8. Larry Woods

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 08 jul 2004 in
    >> [why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

    > Because it's a preference, not a law.

    Well Aaron,

    Are you so law abiding that you always follow the law to the last tittel?
    Since there are no laws on usenet, should we not try to hold a certain
    amount of standards?
    Cann't we ask about someones habits without it being a law?

    [btw, it was not your mail I referred to. Your positive influence on this
    NG far outweighs this welknown idea about topposting of yours.]

    I think topposting is a bad habit, but topposting in a thread that does
    bottom/interpost is far worse.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 9, 2004
  9. > I think topposting is a bad habit,

    That's the point I was trying to make... just because YOU think it's a bad
    habit doesn't mean its opposite is suddenly some standard we should strive
    for. What you're asking is similar to asking everyone to use Outlook
    Express or a single-line signature or to set their e-mail address to
    .

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 9, 2004
  10. Larry Woods

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 09 jul 2004 in

    >> I think topposting is a bad habit,

    > That's the point I was trying to make... just because YOU think it's a
    > bad habit doesn't mean its opposite is suddenly some standard we
    > should strive for.

    The opposite of NOT changing a way of threading in the midst of a thread,
    is doing that. It seems to me that is a bad habit.
    And is it a bad habit to say so, just because I think it is?
    I do not think so. It is the strength of usenet that people say what they
    think.

    Secondly, I did NOT say so, I just asked why the poster did that. He
    could have had very good reasons for doing so: "My Outlook Express leaves
    me no choice", for instance.

    > What you're asking is similar to asking everyone
    > to use Outlook Express

    No, that is a personal preference, as long as it does not degrade usenet
    use. [I would not touch OE, even for emailing.]

    > or a single-line signature or to set their
    > e-mail address to .

    Again, as long as it does not degrade the NG usabilitiy, no.

    ==========

    Time and again I ask people on this NG not to say ASP when they mean
    VBScript, even when they mean serverside VBScript on an ASP platform.

    You could just as easily say to me op that subject: "just because YOU
    think it's a bad habit doesn't mean its opposite is suddenly some
    standard we should strive for."

    If I think something is a bad habit, I will certainly encourage people to
    do the opposite.

    ===========

    btw, Aaron, thank you for not topposting in your latest reply.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 9, 2004
  11. Larry Woods

    CJM Guest

    I wasnt going to reply to your post since a) Aaron already had, and b) I
    initially thought it was better to let it pass.

    However, since the debate goes on... more answers inline...

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 08 jul 2004 in
    > >> [why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

    > > Because it's a preference, not a law.

    > Well Aaron,
    >
    > Are you so law abiding that you always follow the law to the last tittel?
    > Since there are no laws on usenet, should we not try to hold a certain
    > amount of standards?
    > Cann't we ask about someones habits without it being a law?

    Standards? One size does NOT fit all. Different approaches for different
    situations, I should say. In my original post, the information was fairly
    self-contained. The statement stood on its own. If you cant remember about
    the post I was replying to, then you have the option to scroll down, but if
    you were still following the thread then you arent put out by having to do
    this.

    As for habits, I top-post, bottom-post and post in-line depending on the
    situation - which admittedly does sometimes include how rushed I am...

    > [btw, it was not your mail I referred to. Your positive influence on this
    > NG far outweighs this welknown idea about topposting of yours.]

    So the 'rules' depend on you perceived worth to the NG? I object to this on
    two-levels:

    1) It sounds like animal farm - 'Some are more equal than others'

    2) While I wouldn't presume to compete with Aaron, I put more into this
    group than I take out. I didn't realise that someone was scoring, and that I
    was doing so poorly.

    > I think topposting is a bad habit, but topposting in a thread that does
    > bottom/interpost is far worse.

    Needless to say we disagree on this.

    Evertjan, the last time we crossed swords in this NG, we carried on
    off-list. At the time, I was surprised by your hostile stance, but was
    eventually re-assured by your more affable demeanour off-list. Is this deja
    vu?

    Chris

    CJM, Jul 9, 2004
  12. Larry Woods

    Evertjan. Guest

    CJM wrote on 09 jul 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > So the 'rules' depend on you perceived worth to the NG? I object to
    > this on two-levels: 1) It sounds like animal farm - 'Some are more
    > equal than others'

    You are perceiving things I did not say. I was not talking about a
    "rule". I was not saying I was better than others.

    It just stroke me that in that particular instance, the sudden change to
    topposting was degrading the effectiveness of that thread.
    Why should I not ask for your reason?

    > Evertjan, the last time we crossed swords in this NG, we carried on
    > off-list. At the time, I was surprised by your hostile stance, but was
    > eventually re-assured by your more affable demeanour off-list. Is this
    > deja vu?

    I do not remember last time, Chris, but I do not think I was hostile in
    this thread. I would certainly not be hostile to Aaron, who is one of the
    pillars of this NG. The difference in meaning about topposting between us
    is well known. A bit of fencing between two people that know eachothers
    stances is not bad and sharpens the mind.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 9, 2004
  13. > It just stroke me that in that particular instance, the sudden change to
    > topposting was degrading the effectiveness of that thread.

    The problem is, this is your opinion. Like CJM, I also top-post,
    bottom-post, and answer inline, depending on the scenario. Just because I
    contribute frequently does not make it okay for me to do it but bad for
    others to do it. It is a judgement call, again, just like my choice of
    newsreader. I don't really care that you don't like Outlook Express, nor
    should I have to even know or care what newsreader you use.

    And hearing you moan about top-posting issue every time is, IMHO, degrading
    the effectiveness of the affected thread, far more than the choice of
    posting method. Move on, okay?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 9, 2004
  14. > Cann't we ask about someones habits without it being a law?

    Sure, while we're here.

    Why do you insist on bottom-posting? Do you not find it annoying when you
    have to scroll through an entire paragraph that you've already read, to see
    a one-line response or a link to an article? Do I really need to read the
    entire paragraph again to understand the response? Is the cache in my
    newsreader so short that I will not have the previous post stored anymore,
    and will have to go search through google to find the things you've trimmed?

    What is the point of leaving this in all your replies:

    "Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 09 jul 2004 in
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general: "

    Do you think I'm going to forget who I am, or what date my post was sent, or
    what group I'm in? Do you think my newsreader doesn't support threading,
    and I won't be able to figure out who you're replying to?

    Point is, we all do things that aren't the most convenient for the rest of
    us. But we don't all go out of our way to make a big stink about it.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 9, 2004
  15. Larry Woods

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 09 jul 2004 in
    > Move on, okay?

    okay.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 9, 2004
  16. Larry Woods

    Larry Woods Guest

    Aaron,

    Sorry for the delay in responding (looks like you all were keeping busy,
    anyway) but either (1) I don't understand what you are saying, or (2) you
    are wrong about file names.

    Looking at a site in IIS, the default files for more of the various HTTP
    error conditions are defined as "file" and have a complete local file path,
    NOT a relative file path.

    Example: Error 403, suberror 4:

    file

    C:\WINNT\help\iisHelp\common\403-4.htm

    ???????????????

    Larry Woods

    Larry Woods, Jul 10, 2004
  17. Notice the file extension? HTM. This means it is HTML code. If you want
    to use ASP code, you can't use a file reference. Go ahead, put a local file
    reference to an ASP file and see what happens. You will get a bunch of
    garbage because your ASP code won't be processed. You can see the same
    symptom by typing in c:\folder\file.asp ... to be processed by the web
    server, an ASP page must be accessed by the web server. So, you need a URL,
    not a file.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)