anyone experienced a transition java --> C++

Tomer Ben-David

Hi,

Im about to make a transition (a transition of work place as well) from java to c++

anyone experienced such a transition ? :)
and could tell me how was it?
How long did it take him to feel as comfortable in c++ as he felt in java?
Would you recommend that transition? or would you tell me i'll curse that moment?
How difficult was it?

Thanks in advance

Tomer

Sudsy

Tomer said:
Hi,

Im about to make a transition (a transition of work place as well) from java to c++

anyone experienced such a transition ? :)
and could tell me how was it?
How long did it take him to feel as comfortable in c++ as he felt in java?
Would you recommend that transition? or would you tell me i'll curse that moment?
How difficult was it?

Having made the leap through necessity, I don't think it's very
difficult. Certain elements, such as templates, will likely give
you fits at the beginning.
I dislike C++ merely because it doesn't enforce what I now
consider to be sensible programming practices. The joy of knowing
that the garbage collector will free-up unused memory instead of
me combing through code, searching for matching free() calls to
the corresponding malloc()s...priceless!
I'm not inviting a flame-war and I can comfortably code in C++.
I merely note that the claimed performance advantages are becoming
less of a viable justification with the availability of the JIT
compilers.
It comes down to personal preferences. I'd much rather program in
Java than C++. Others will feel differently.