Anyone get the Arachno Ruby debugger working?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eeby, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Eeby

    Eeby Guest

    I've downloaded a trial of Arachno Ruby and like it a lot. Code
    completion works exceptionally well compared to others I've tried and
    it's a nice looking app. However, I can't get the debugger to work.
    Anybody have any troubleshooting suggestions?

    Here's my setup...

    Arachno Ruby 0.7.9
    Ruby version downloaded from Arachno Ruby website (Scriptolutions
    Windows 1-click installer)
    Windows XP Pro

    Steps I've tried:

    Created a project with some code I'd previously written. Set a
    breakpoint. Started the debugger. Execution ran past the breakpoint
    without stopping.

    Arachno Ruby works with an alternate Ruby interpreter that enables
    faster debugging.
    I made sure that Arachno is working with that Ruby interpreter. After
    that didn't work, I also tried latest Ruby that I downloaded from
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/. Got the same result.

    I set debugger "enable source file path mapping" and ran it again.
    After that I checked and found that there is nothing listed in
    "debugger file paths". No paths listed.

    I tried every possible setting of "debugger quick mode" and "stop on
    first source code line".

    Can anyone suggest any other troubleshooting steps to try? Any other
    settings to look at?

    I tried posting on the Arachno forum of course, but no answer so far
    so I thought I'd try here.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Eeby, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Eeby

    bbiker Guest

    bbiker, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Eeby

    bbiker Guest

    On Apr 16, 12:35 am, "Eeby" <> wrote:
    > I've downloaded a trial of Arachno Ruby and like it a lot. Code
    > completion works exceptionally well compared to others I've tried and
    > it's a nice looking app. However, I can't get the debugger to work.
    > Anybody have any troubleshooting suggestions?
    >
    > Here's my setup...
    >
    > Arachno Ruby 0.7.9
    > Ruby version downloaded from Arachno Ruby website (Scriptolutions
    > Windows 1-click installer)
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > Steps I've tried:
    >
    > Created a project with some code I'd previously written. Set a
    > breakpoint. Started the debugger. Execution ran past the breakpoint
    > without stopping.
    >
    > Arachno Ruby works with an alternate Ruby interpreter that enables
    > faster debugging.
    > I made sure that Arachno is working with that Ruby interpreter. After
    > that didn't work, I also tried latest Ruby that I downloaded fromhttp://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/. Got the same result.
    >
    > I set debugger "enable source file path mapping" and ran it again.
    > After that I checked and found that there is nothing listed in
    > "debugger file paths". No paths listed.
    >
    > I tried every possible setting of "debugger quick mode" and "stop on
    > first source code line".
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other troubleshooting steps to try? Any other
    > settings to look at?
    >
    > I tried posting on the Arachno forum of course, but no answer so far
    > so I thought I'd try here.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I have the same setup that you have. The problem is that the Archono
    Ruby IDE's debugger is one step behind the current version of the Ruby
    (should work fine with Ruby 1.8.4). My understand is that an updated
    debugger will not come out until a patch is made for Ruby 1.8.6 which
    fixes some critical bugs.

    I also tried Archono' one-click installer but it did work quite as
    well as the standard one-click installer. I reverted to the standard
    one-click installer.

    When I run a script a script within the IDE, I get a dialog box
    stating that the advanced features of the IDE cannot be used with the
    interpreter ( ruby 1.8.6) and ask whether I want to continue. I take
    that this means that debugging is not available.

    bbiker, Apr 16, 2007
  4. Eeby

    eeby Guest

    On Apr 16, 9:23 am, "bbiker" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 16, 12:35 am, "Eeby" <> wrote:
    >

    > > I've downloaded a trial of Arachno Ruby and like it a lot. Code
    > > completion works exceptionally well compared to others I've tried and
    > > it's a nice looking app. However, I can't get the debugger to work.
    > > Anybody have any troubleshooting suggestions?

    [...]

    > I have the same setup that you have. The problem is that the Archono
    > Ruby IDE's debugger is one step behind the current version of the Ruby
    > (should work fine with Ruby 1.8.4). My understand is that an updated
    > debugger will not come out until a patch is made for Ruby 1.8.6 which
    > fixes some critical bugs.
    >
    > I also tried Archono' one-click installer but it did work quite as
    > well as the standard one-click installer. I reverted to the standard
    > one-click installer.
    >
    > When I run a script a script within the IDE, I get a dialog box
    > stating that the advanced features of the IDE cannot be used with the
    > interpreter ( ruby 1.8.6) and ask whether I want to continue. I take
    > that this means that debugging is not available.

    Thanks for the reply. So I can't get debugging to work because, well
    it doesn't work. I guess you're probably right. I was hoping there was
    some setting somewhere I had missed.

    That's too bad. Arachno is a really good product in a lot of ways.
    Maybe debugging will work in the next release.

    eeby, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Eeby

    Kurt Robson Guest

    Eeby wrote:
    > I've downloaded a trial of Arachno Ruby and like it a lot. Code
    > completion works exceptionally well compared to others I've tried and
    > it's a nice looking app. However, I can't get the debugger to work.
    > Anybody have any troubleshooting suggestions?
    >
    > Here's my setup...
    >
    > Arachno Ruby 0.7.9
    > Ruby version downloaded from Arachno Ruby website (Scriptolutions
    > Windows 1-click installer)
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > Steps I've tried:
    >
    > Created a project with some code I'd previously written. Set a
    > breakpoint. Started the debugger. Execution ran past the breakpoint
    > without stopping.
    >
    > Arachno Ruby works with an alternate Ruby interpreter that enables
    > faster debugging.
    > I made sure that Arachno is working with that Ruby interpreter. After
    > that didn't work, I also tried latest Ruby that I downloaded from
    > http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/. Got the same result.
    >
    > I set debugger "enable source file path mapping" and ran it again.
    > After that I checked and found that there is nothing listed in
    > "debugger file paths". No paths listed.
    >
    > I tried every possible setting of "debugger quick mode" and "stop on
    > first source code line".
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other troubleshooting steps to try? Any other
    > settings to look at?
    >
    > I tried posting on the Arachno forum of course, but no answer so far
    > so I thought I'd try here.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I've had a similar experiance. At one point I was getting some support
    from the author, Lothar, as in this message:

    Kurt Robson, Oct 13, 2007