Anyone had any experience with IX .NET version?

LP

Hello,

I am in process evaluating different reporting tools. I did use CR 9 product
in the past, but I can't say that I had good experience with it. I am just
curious if anyone has tried the latest version IX from BusinessObjects. What
do you think of it? I am specifically interested to know if they fixed all
the performance and memory leaks related bugs. Thank you

Brian Bischof

XI is a major overhaul from 9. Many, many bug fixes have been implemented in
this latest release. Plus, performance has been optimized for different
aspects of report generation and the exporting is much better. There are
also major performance optimizations for reporting from multiple stored
procedures and command objects. All around I think this qualifies as a must
have upgrade over past versions. They have a 30 day download if you want to
test it before buying.

HTH,

Brian Bischof
www.CrystalReportsBook.com

LP

Thanks Brian,
One more question, considering that I am fairly familiar with CR version 9
designer and their reports APIs, what is my learning curve is going to be
with version IX?
I used push model to generate report by providing my own dataTable, and I
would like adhere to the same model. Did it change a lot in version IX or I
can pretty much get away with what I know/remember from version 9. Thanks.

Brian Bischof

Yeah, the .NET APIs are the same in XI (version 11). I haven't had time to
review the API's in detail, but I don't think there were many changes. If
anything, they might have added a few new methods. But I can't say yet. I
did some work on converting the v10 demos for .NET to v11 and it was a
straight port. I had one report where after the upgrade .NET couldn't open
it. But after the second conversion attempt it opened fine.

You're going to see a big improvement in processing the DataSet reports.
They rewrote that code for version 10. I would be interested in seeing your
comments after using it for a while. Get some good feedback posted here for
others to review. I think that people coming from a 8.5/9 background should
see how XI has been improved. I hope to post some articles on my website
over the next month, but there are only so many hours in the day. I just
finished an article for the .NET Developers Journal (March issue) that talks
about the improvements as well.

Brian

www.CrystalReportsBook.com