    Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?

    Eg: Germans, French, British, Malaysian, etc etc

    Thanks
    user, Jan 1, 2007

  2. user

    user Guest

    user, Jan 1, 2007

  3. user

    user Guest

    user wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?
    > >
    > > Eg: Germans, French, British, Malaysian, etc etc
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Found one here:
    > https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2110.html
    >
    > im painstakingly modifiying it right now..

    delimited by semi colon..

    AFGHAN;ALBANIAN;ALGERIAN;AMERICAN SAMOAN (US
    NATIONALS);ANDORRAN;ANGOLAN;ANGUILLAN;ANTIGUAN/BARBUDAN;ARGENTINE;ARMENIAN;ARUBAN;AUSTRALIAN;AUSTRIAN;AZERBAIJANI;BAHAMIAN;BAHRAINI;BANGLADESHI;BARBADIAN;BELARUSIAN;BELGIAN;BENINESE
    (SINGULAR AND PLURAL);BERMUDIAN;BHUTANESE;BOLIVIAN;BOSNIAN,
    HERZEGOVINIAN;MOTSWANA;BRAZILIAN;BRITISH VIRGIN
    ISLANDER;BRUNEIAN;BULGARIAN;BURKINABE;BURMESE;BURUNDIAN;CAMBODIAN;CANADIAN;ADJECTIVE:
    CANADIAN;CAPE VERDEAN;CAYMANIAN;CENTRAL
    AFRICAN;CHADIAN;CHILEAN;CHINESE(PRC);CHRISTMAS ISLAND;COCOS
    ISLANDER;COLOMBIAN;COMORAN;CONGO;COOK ISLANDER;COSTA
    RICAN;IVOIRIAN;CROATIAN;CUBAN;CYPRIOT;CZECH;DANISH;DJIBOUTIAN;DOMINICAN;EAST
    TIMORESE;ECUADORIAN;EGYPTIAN;SALVADORAN;EQUATORIAL
    GUINEAN;ERITREAN;ESTONIAN;ETHIOPIAN;FALKLAND
    ISLAND;FAROESE;FIJIAN;FINNISH;FRENCH;FRENCH GUIANESE;FRENCH
    POLYNESIAN;GABONESE;GAMBIAN;GEORGIAN;GERMAN;GHANAIAN;GIBRALTAR;GREEK;GREENLANDER;GRENADIAN;GUADELOUPE;GUAMANIAN;GUATEMALAN;CHANNEL
    ISLANDER;GUINEAN;HAITIAN;HONDURAN;HONG
    KONG;HUNGARIAN;ICELANDIC;INDIAN;INDONESIAN;IRANIAN;IRAQI;IRISH;MANX;ISRAELI;ITALIAN;JAMAICAN;JAPANESE;CHANNEL
    ISLANDER;JORDANIAN;KAZAKHSTANI;KENYAN;I-KIRIBATI;NORTH KOREAN;SOUTH
    KOREAN;KUWAITI;KYRGYZSTANI;LAOTIAN;LATVIAN;LEBANESE;BASOTHO;LIBERIAN;LIBYAN;LITHUANIAN;LUXEMBOURGER;MACEDONIAN;MALAGASY;MALAWIAN;MALAYSIAN;MALDIVIAN;MALIAN;MALTESE;MARSHALLESE;MARTINIQUAIS;MAURITANIAN;MAHORAN;MEXICAN;MICRONESIA,
    FEDERATED STATES
    OF;MOLDOVAN;MONACO;MONGOLIAN;MONTENEGRIN;MONTSERRATIAN;MOROCCAN;MOZAMBICAN;NAMIBIAN;NAURUAN;NEPALESE;DUTCH;DUTCH
    ANTILLEAN;NEW CALEDONIAN;NEW ZEALANDER;NICARAGUAN;NIGERIEN;NIGERIAN
    ;NIUEAN;NORFOLK
    ISLANDER;NORWEGIAN;OMANI;PAKISTANI;PALAUAN;PANAMANIAN;PAPUA NEW
    GUINEAN;PARAGUAYAN;PERUVIAN;FILIPINO;PITCAIRN
    ISLANDER;POLISH;PORTUGUESE;PUERTO
    RICAN;QATARI;REUNIONESE;ROMANIAN;RUSSIAN;RWANDAN;SAINT HELENIAN;SAINT
    VINCENTIAN OR VINCENTIAN;SAMOAN;SAMMARINESE;SAO TOMEAN;SAUDI
    ARABIAN;SENEGALESE;SERBIAN;SEYCHELLOIS;SIERRA
    LEONEAN;SINGAPOREAN;SLOVENIAN;SOLOMON ISLANDER;SOMALI;SOUTH
    AFRICAN;SPANISH;SRI
    LANKAN;SUDANESE;SURINAMESE;SWAZI;SWEDISH;SWISS;SYRIAN;TAIWAN;TAJIKISTANI;TANZANIAN;THAI;TOGOLESE;TOKELAUAN;TONGAN;TRINIDADIAN/TOBAGONIAN;TUNISIAN;TURKISH;TURKMEN;TUVALUAN;UGANDAN;UKRAINIAN;EMIRATI;BRITISH;AMERICAN;URUGUAYAN;UZBEKISTANI;NI-VANUATU;VANTICAN;VENEZUELAN;VIETNAMESE;VIRGIN
    ISLANDER;YEMENI;ZAMBIAN;ZIMBABWEAN
    user, Jan 1, 2007
  4. user wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?
    >
    > Eg: Germans, French, British, Malaysian, etc etc

    This is an HTML question?
    Harlan Messinger, Jan 1, 2007
  5. Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2007
  6. user

    Toby Inkster Guest

    user wrote:

    > Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?
    > Eg: Germans, French, British, Malaysian, etc etc

    A lot of people within Britain might not consider themselves British, but
    rather English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, or perhaps even Cornish. Think
    also of Kosovo, Quebec and Tibet. People can be quite emotive about such
    issues. (The list from your third post in this thread doesn't include
    "Palestinian" -- how many Palestinians are going to want to choose
    "Israeli" from your list?!)

    For what purpose to you need this information? If you need to ask where a
    visitor lives, or what their citizenship is, it is better to use a
    drop-down list of countries rather than nationalities.

    If you Google for "ISO 3166", then you'll find a handy list of countries,
    along with useful 2 and 3 letter codes, and 3 digit numerical codes to
    identify them. Storing the 2 digit code in a database, instead of the full
    country name, may save some space, and may help later if you need to
    integrate your database with some other data, as ISO 3166 is a commonly
    used standard.

    On the other hand, if you need to identify their language, then you're way
    off. For example, Castillian Spanish is spoken all over South America (in
    Brazil the official language is Portuguese, but I'd imagine that there are
    at least some Spanish speakers), but in Spain, Castillian is one of a
    number of languages spoken.

    The official languages are Castillian, Catalan, Basque, Galician and
    Aranese. (Catalan is similar to Spanish, but only in the same sense that
    French is similar to Italian. Aranese is most closely related to Gascon,
    an endangered romance language in France. Galician is very similar to
    Portuguese. Basque is entirely unrelated to any other European language
    and likely predates the arrival of other languages to the continent.)
    Asturian and Aragonese are also gaining acceptance as candidates for
    official status. Valencian, a dialect of Catalan, is considered a language
    in its own right by many of its speakers. Arabic is also widely spoken in
    Ceuta and Melilla (two small enclaves on the North African coast which are
    officially part of Spain).

    So having an option of "Spanish" on a drop down list doesn't really cover
    it. If you want a list of languages, try "ISO 639-2" which will also
    provide you with handy 3 letter codes for each language. There are also 2
    letter codes for the most commonly spoken languages, as the 3-digit list
    does include quite a few weirdo languages (e.g. historical languages,
    such as Old English, Old French, Hittite, Ancient Greek, etc; and
    languages which many consider to be dialects, such as Alemannic German,
    spoken in and around Switzerland, but arguably a dialect of German). Which
    list you use depends on how likely you think it is that people will want
    to choose a language that's on the 3-letter list, but not the more limited
    2-letter list; and how likely it is that people will choose "Old English"
    just for a bit of a laugh.

    On the third hand, you may want to use this list to identify people's
    culture or heritage. In which case again, you are way off. For example,
    Jewish people in many different countries may wish to state their culture
    as "Jewish"; indigenous Australians may wish to state their culture as
    "Aborigine" or "Torres Strait Islander" rather than "Australian", or may
    even wish to describe themselves as belonging to a particular Aboriginal
    group, such as the Eora. (Most of the Aboriginal words which have been
    adopted into English originally come from the language of the Eora people;
    e.g. boomerang.)

    If you wish to ask someone's cultural background, then a free text box is
    probably wise. Perhaps provide a drop down list of common cultures with an
    "Other (please specify)" option.

    On the fourth hand, perhaps you are really trying to find someone's
    race. In which case -- you guessed it -- you are way off again! For
    example, in the UK there are many non-white people who would describe
    their nationality as "British", though for certain purposes (e.g.
    assessing susceptability to Sickle-cell Anaemia) it might be more useful
    to categorise them as West African. Because of inter-racial mixing
    throughout history, genetically speaking, most people are of mixed race.
    (Though race is quite a fuzzy concept anyway.) If you wish to find out
    someone's race, you might be best off using a small list of very general
    races, such as:

    Mixed Race
    ----
    Arctic (Siberian, Eskimo)
    Caucasian (European)
    Caucasian (Indian)
    Caucasian (Middle East)
    Caucasian (North African, Other)
    Indiginous Australian
    Native American
    North East Asian (Mongol, Tibetan, Korean Japanese, etc)
    Pacific (Polynesian, Micronesian, etc)
    South East Asian (Chinese, Thai, Malay, Filipino, etc)
    West African, Bushmen, Ethiopian
    ----
    Other Race

    And also you should be aware, that most people would classify themselves
    incorrectly.

    In summary, classifying people's nationality, language, heritage, race,
    culture, and ethnicity (we've not brought up religion, but the same
    applies) can be a difficult because in many cases the lines between them
    can be blurry (e.g. nationality: English vs British; language: Valencian
    vs Catalan; culture: Australian vs Aborigine; race: African vs West
    African). There are so many splinters/dialects which some people might
    consider part of the main group, whereas others would consider them
    distinct. Whatsmore, if the group a person identifies themselves with does
    not appear on the list, many will be reluctant to choose another group
    which might be considered "close enough" for your purposes. Many of these
    issues can be highly emotive for some people.

    It is better to stick with distinct lists of discrete groups -- for
    example, the list of countries recognised by the United Nations is
    unarguable. Pretty much everyone knows which of those countries they
    belong to. In certain cases, they may not *like* it (e.g. a large
    minority of people in Northern Ireland would like that province to be part
    of the Republic of Ireland, instead of the United Kingdom), but they are
    aware of how the current situation stands, and shouldn't be too perturbed
    at having to specify in which country they reside or of which they enjoy
    citizenship.

    The ISO list of languages is also unarguable -- a language is either on
    there, or it's not. (Though of course, the list is updated occasionally.)
    If somebody complains that their preferred language is not on the list,
    you could quite rightly tell them to take up their complaint with ISO
    instead of you. Whatsmore, there will almost certainly be a language on
    the list which they are able to speak almost as well as their first
    choice. (e.g. if someone from Valencia complains that you don't offer a
    Valancian version of your newsletter, you could say that there hasn't been
    enough demand for one, but that many Valencians choose to subscribe to
    your Catalan newsletter, as Valencians are people with great linguistic
    talent, and are usually fluent in Catalan. Don't suggest that Valencian
    and Catalan are virtually the same language -- that might upset them --
    but suggest that many Valencians can also speak Catalan.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS aka the many-handed Ganesh.
    Toby Inkster, Jan 2, 2007
  7. Scripsit Harlan Messinger:

    >> Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?
    >>
    >> Eg: Germans, French, British, Malaysian, etc etc

    > This is an HTML question?

    Surely not, but it's probably somehow related to HTML, perhaps since the OP
    wants to create a list of all nationalities in a <select> element or
    something equally clueless.

    Whatever the ultimate question was, several wrong choices were already made
    in the path from it to the question actually asked. So any answer, correct
    or wrong, would just help the OP dig the hole deeper.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 2, 2007
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Toby Inkster <usenet200701
    @tobyinkster.co.uk> writing in news:5n.co.uk:

    >> Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?
    >> Eg: Germans, French, British, Malaysian, etc etc

    > A lot of people ...

    Tony, you forgot Americans! I'm offended ;-) Seriously, here's a really
    good example of what you're talking about. A lot of Americans (who live in
    the United States) will proudly say something like, "Well, I'm half
    Italian, and 1/8 French, and 1/8 American Indian, and 1/8 Irish and 1/8
    German", or they might say "I'm Texan" (and we won't even go into those who
    live on the US/Mexico border) or they might even say they're Heinz 57!

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 2, 2007
  9. user

    John Hosking Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > A lot of people [...

    incredibly fascinating monologue about political and lingual
    identification (unrelated to HTML) snipped

    > ...] are Castillian, Catalan, Basque, Galician and Aranese. [...

    remarkable display of detailed knowledge regarding Iberian linguistics
    (irrelevant to markup of Web content) excised

    ....]
    > On the third hand, you may want to use this list to identify people's
    > culture or heritage. In which case again, you are way off. For example,
    > Jewish people in many different countries may wish to state their culture
    > as "Jewish"; indigenous Australians may wish to state their culture as
    > "Aborigine" or "Torres Strait Islander" rather than "Australian", or may
    > even wish to describe themselves as belonging to a particular Aboriginal
    > group, such as the Eora. (Most of the Aboriginal words ...]

    continued Ganesh-limbed discussion of cultural and quasi-anthropological
    trickiness and a recommendation to let ISO standards come to the rescue
    (not necessarily using HTML) trimmed

    ....] can also speak Catalan.)

    Toby: How do you *know* these things? <8-O

    Fascinating post.

    --
    John
    Can name the cast members of the original "Star Trek" series and sing
    John Hosking, Jan 2, 2007
  10. user

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Travis Newbury"
    <> vouchsafed:

    >> > Found one here:
    >> > https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2110.html

    > Give it a week, there are bound to be 3 or 4 new countries appearing

    ....Or changing their names. I feel damn silly quoting old remembered
    short-rhymes with "Myanmar Shave".

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Jan 3, 2007
  11. user

    Toby Inkster Guest

    John Hosking wrote:

    > Toby: How do you *know* these things? <8-O

    I watch too much telly. :-(

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jan 3, 2007
  12. user

    Andy Dingley Guest

    user wrote:

    > Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?

    Tricky question, but if you're posting it to a HTML newsgroup, then I
    suspect that what you're really looking for is the ISO standard list of
    codes. The country codes are ISO 3166, the language codes are ISO 639

    There's a big political aspect to what a "country" or a "nationality"
    is, but mere web designers don't need to worry too much about that,
    just use the standard list. Most importantly, use the same standard
    list as everyone else, otherwise you can have some awful data transfer
    problems. I sometimes live in a place that's in the United Kingdom but
    not in Great Britain. I've yet to hear of any web designer being
    kneecapped for using "gb" as a code though.

    Good intros over here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO-639
    Andy Dingley, Jan 4, 2007
  13. Scripsit Andy Dingley:

    > user wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have a full list of Nationalities?

    > Tricky question,

    Quite possibly a troll question, if we think about the foolishness of the
    question, its off-topic nature, the "name" of the poster, and the poster's
    replies to answers.

    > but if you're posting it to a HTML newsgroup, then I
    > suspect that what you're really looking for is the ISO standard list
    > of codes.

    Quite a strange logic you have. Posting to an HTML group does not mean you
    need to be all wrong.

    > The country codes are ISO 3166, the language codes are ISO
    > 639

    And neither of them has anything to do with nationalities.

    > There's a big political aspect to what a "country" or a "nationality"
    > is, but mere web designers don't need to worry too much about that,
    > just use the standard list.

    For what? Use the standard list of countries for a menu of specifiying the
    user's nationality? That's not only clueless, it's also incredibly stupid.
    Wait... maybe you don't simply know what "nationality" means and you confuse
    it with citizenship _or_ with country of residence.

    > Most importantly, use the same standard
    > list as everyone else, otherwise you can have some awful data transfer
    > problems.

    Was you answer meant to fight trolling with trolling? It seldom works.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 4, 2007