Anyone interested In IronRuby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by IronRuby, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. IronRuby

    IronRuby Guest

    Hello,

    I am coming from Dot Net World, now totally into IronRuby.

    IronRuby is a Dot Net Version of Ruby that works on DLR ( Dynamic
    layer RunTime ) with all advantages of Ruby plus Dot Net Framework.

    With IronRuby, you get best of both the worlds. Ruby and Dot Net. You
    can also work with Ruby On Rails as well as Asp.Net with Ruby as your
    coding language. isn't that great.

    You can also work with MVC as well as LINQ.

    PLUS>>>> you always have a great IDE like Visual Studio and Express
    Products for working with Ruby.

    Now... there is no need to work with Vb.Net or Boring C#

    More details are here...
    official site for IronRuby development

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ironruby/

    The site of the creator of IronRuby ( Mr. John lam ) who works for
    Microsoft for developing IronRuby.

    www.iunknown.com

    Small site with informative material
    http://www.ironruby.net/

    A good blogging site for IronRuby with updated material on Ruby and
    IronRuby

    http://ironruby.blogspot.com/

    I would like to know, how many folks here are waiting to start with
    IronRuby and how many have already implemented this in one or another
    way.

    Is there a sub section or a seperate group in this forum for Ironruby.
    Please join this thread with yoiur information, so that we can start
    an IronRuby Group that deals with Ruby and Dot Net in depth.

    Thanks

    IronRuby

    IronRuby, Sep 27, 2007

  2. IronRuby

    Alex Young Guest

    IronRuby wrote:
    > I would like to know, how many folks here are waiting to start with
    > IronRuby and how many have already implemented this in one or another
    > way.

    I've been meaning to dig into it for a little while now, but haven't had
    time yet.

    http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=4359

    --
    Alex

    Alex Young, Sep 27, 2007

  3. I am a little curious about Iron Ruby. I did some work with C#.net but
    my interest faded for some reason or another. I really am very fond of
    Ruby's feel. Learning Ruby kind of feels to me like getting acquainted
    with a person you get along with very well. I find myself looking for
    problems that Ruby would be good at solving, mainly to get more
    acquainted with what its like to work with Ruby.
    Squeezing Ruby through Microsofts CLR (or whatever its called) to make
    it conform to .NET, is sort of like taking a friend and turning them
    into a Borg or something (appropriately named IronRuby)...resistance
    is futile!.
    IronRuby can probably still get the job done, but the personality
    will be a bit stiff, and not quite as friendly. But we shall see.

    Jayson

    Jayson Williams, Sep 27, 2007
  4. IronRuby

    Phrogz Guest

    On Sep 26, 11:47 pm, IronRuby <> wrote:
    > I would like to know, how many folks here are waiting to start with
    > IronRuby and how many have already implemented this in one or another
    > way.

    I'm currently involved in the design of a large C# application
    developed by my company, which is fully scriptable (currently) in
    IronPython. As a strong Ruby advocate, I plan to fully support
    IronRuby as well as soon as the DLR is released and feeling solid.

    Phrogz, Sep 27, 2007
  5. Is IronRuby just like Ruby except you get the .Net platform?

    If not, has MS contributed anything of what they have done to
    "improve" the language to the ruby community?

    Or If it is just like ruby + .Net, why didnt MS work with the
    community to make the .Net stuff an extension to the real ruby,
    instead of taking from the community and locking it to their platform?

    Is this history repeating itself ? We don't like java because it is
    controlled by sun. We cant make any money from it so lets take all the
    good ideas sun has worked out do some improvements and call it our
    own. (C#)
    Or is it like... the list goes on and on.

    Sorry about my grumpy attitude towards MS, but over the years I have
    seen so much foul play from that company, so sometimes I feel the need
    to cry out :)

    Rikard Lindby, Sep 28, 2007
  6. IronRuby

    Phrogz Guest

    Phrogz, Sep 28, 2007
  7. IronRuby

    Alex Young Guest

    Rikard Lindby wrote:
    > Is IronRuby just like Ruby except you get the .Net platform?

    As I understand it, that's pretty much the intention, at least on a
    language level. I *think* the intention is also to give Visual Studio
    support, but I'm not sure about that.

    > If not, has MS contributed anything of what they have done to
    > "improve" the language to the ruby community?

    They've opened the source to their implementation (for certain values of
    "open" - there's still some aggro at the OSI about that), and they're
    working with Novell to get the DLR working on Mono.

    > Or If it is just like ruby + .Net, why didnt MS work with the
    > community to make the .Net stuff an extension to the real ruby,
    > instead of taking from the community and locking it to their platform?

    Licensing, in a word. At least, that's the explanation that makes most
    sense to me...

    --
    Alex

    Alex Young, Sep 28, 2007
  8. I agree with Rikard in that MS has a bad track record. Still I would
    like to think that they would be willing to work and play well with the
    other children. The last time this thread arose here, it was thought
    that MS would make all the source available as in other gems. I asked
    the MS guy that was posting in that thread to confirm that and got no
    reply. Hopefully someone can answer that.

    That being said, I have another question. What exactly *is* dot net?
    Why is it so fervently touted? At work, a MS devotee that was
    contracting at work changed our setup from .NET 1.1 to 2.0 without
    telling anyone. It brought down the entire data warehouse. Asking
    around, I was told that every version of .NET released was not as
    backward compatible as advertised. We know that MS releases software
    that breaks existing apps. Vista even breaks MS' apps. We cannot
    afford to use .NET unless new versions will not break old apps.

    So, what is the word? What is it, why do we want it, and will it
    actually work?

    p.s. I do not mean this to be incendiary. I am having trouble getting
    through the hype in all I read about .NET and never seem to get straight
    answers and personal experience, while it may be caused more by idiots
    than .NET, still makes my company worried enough to avoid .NET until
    they can answer this. Please read this as an attempt to find a way to
    embrace the technology if I can find a way to do so not a flame against
    MS.

    Lloyd Linklater, Sep 28, 2007
  9. In message <>, Lloyd
    Linklater <> writes
    >That being said, I have another question. What exactly *is* dot net?

    A virtual machine (the Common Language Runtime). A very efficient one.
    ".Net" is the marketing term for the CLR and the frameworks that come
    with it.

    >Why is it so fervently touted?

    Same reason Java is. In theory, write once, run anywhere there is a CLR.
    You can write for .Net in C/C++/C#/Visual
    Basic/Delphi/Fortran/Cobol/Python/Ruby.

    >At work, a MS devotee that was
    >contracting at work changed our setup from .NET 1.1 to 2.0 without
    >telling anyone. It brought down the entire data warehouse.

    That is possible. ECMA added some new opcodes (4 if I remember
    correctly) and those got implemented in .Net 2.0. So if you build your
    app with .Net 2.0 but then deployed that on a .Net 1.0/.Net 1.1 runtime
    that would fail. That is not a failure of backward compatibility, that
    is a failure caused by human stupidity.

    ..Net is backwards compatible - you can run 1.0 .Net apps on the 1.1 or
    2.0 runtime. You can run 1.1 .Net apps on the 2.0 runtime.

    Stephen
    --
    Stephen Kellett
    Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html

    Stephen Kellett, Sep 28, 2007
  10. Lloyd Linklater wrote:
    > I agree with Rikard in that MS has a bad track record. Still I would
    > like to think that they would be willing to work and play well with the
    > other children. The last time this thread arose here, it was thought
    > that MS would make all the source available as in other gems. I asked
    > the MS guy that was posting in that thread to confirm that and got no
    > reply. Hopefully someone can answer that.

    It's not necessarily a matter of "willing to work and play well with the
    other children." Have you ever heard the phrase, "Don't sue anybody with
    more money that you have?" It really doesn't matter to me whether or not
    anything Microsoft does is licensed one way or another -- I use it when
    I have to and I don't use it when I have a viable alternative.

    A year or so ago -- Curt, Austin, correct me if I'm wrong here -- Curt
    Hibbs and Austin Ziegler tried to get a sensible behavior from Microsoft
    so a "One-Click Installer" Ruby user could build gems containing C
    source using the no-cost-but-non-free Microsoft C compilers, along with
    building Ruby itself that way. It never happened, and I wonder if
    IronRuby is the reason. Perhaps Microsoft doesn't see the need for the
    regular open source MRI interpreter now that there's IronRuby on the
    CLR. No matter how "willing" Microsoft is to do things, there are always
    going to be things they don't do

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 28, 2007
  11. IronRuby

    Bill Plummer Guest

    Hi All,

    Interesting subject... I've been a .Net developer since the beta days
    and really like both VB.Net and C#. However, all that said you can
    understand when I heard about IronRuby it tweaked my interest. An
    interpreted language implementation running in .Net. And the language,
    Ruby was and is getting high marks from most of the developers I've
    listened to.

    So, for the last couple of months I've been learning all the Ruby and
    IronRuby that I can work into my schedule. To me Ruby appears to be a
    language I could enjoy working with, but that's not my main reason I'm
    studying the subject.

    My job allows me to chose the tools I need to get most projects done.
    However, with that freedom comes the responsibility of being able to not
    only complete the project, but also maintain the code and add new
    features in the future. This can be difficult and the concise syntax is
    used in Ruby really appeals to me!

    So... I like what I see in Ruby for the following reasons.

    1 - Microsoft is doing a Ruby language implementation call IronRuby.

    2 - Matz's Ruby is here today, and can do applications on both Windows
    and Linux operating systems. (Our clients may specify the operating
    system.)

    3 - The Rails framework exists for web projects.

    4 - Ruby is well documented. The Ruby publications are EXCELLENT. I
    own "Ruby for Rails" by David A. Black, "Programming Ruby" (The Pick
    Axe), 2nd edition, "Rails Recipes" by Chad Fowler, and "Agile Web
    Development with Rails" by Dave Thomas and DHH.

    5 - The web stuff including video and pod-casts like...
    http://railscasts.com/, http://peepcode.com/

    7 - The Ruby In Steel Visual Studio plug-in for Ruby and Rails
    projects.
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/
    (Did I mention that I love Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE??? Your a
    pretty cool guy Mac, but I still prefer Visual Studio... :)

    6 - It's fun to learn a new language:)

    OK enough said... I like Ruby and I especially appreciate all that the
    community has done to help bring us newbies along:)

    Bill Plummer

    PS: One tiny comment about "taking a friend and turning them into a
    Borg" by implementing the language through the CLR. If Jon Lam does his
    job right, we won't know whether we are using Matz's Ruby or Microsoft's
    IronRuby. Wait a minute, I'm in Visual Studio..., now is this Matz's
    Ruby using the Ruby In Steel plug-in or is it Microsoft's IronRuby
    running in the DLR??? It's so confusing... What's a developer to do...
    So many choices!!! :)

    Bill Plummer, Sep 28, 2007
  12. IronRuby

    John Joyce Guest

    On Sep 28, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Bill Plummer wrote:
    > Interesting subject... I've been a .Net developer since the beta days
    > and really like both VB.Net and C#. However, all that said you can
    > understand when I heard about IronRuby it tweaked my interest. An
    > interpreted language implementation running in .Net. And the
    > language,
    > Ruby was and is getting high marks from most of the developers I've
    > listened to.
    >
    > So, for the last couple of months I've been learning all the Ruby and
    > IronRuby that I can work into my schedule. To me Ruby appears to be a
    > language I could enjoy working with, but that's not my main reason I'm
    > studying the subject.
    >
    > My job allows me to chose the tools I need to get most projects done.
    > However, with that freedom comes the responsibility of being able
    > to not
    > only complete the project, but also maintain the code and add new
    > features in the future. This can be difficult and the concise
    > syntax is
    > used in Ruby really appeals to me!
    >
    > So... I like what I see in Ruby for the following reasons.
    >
    > 1 - Microsoft is doing a Ruby language implementation call IronRuby.
    >
    > 2 - Matz's Ruby is here today, and can do applications on both Windows
    > and Linux operating systems. (Our clients may specify the operating
    > system.)
    >
    > 3 - The Rails framework exists for web projects.
    >
    > 4 - Ruby is well documented. The Ruby publications are EXCELLENT. I
    > own "Ruby for Rails" by David A. Black, "Programming Ruby" (The Pick
    > Axe), 2nd edition, "Rails Recipes" by Chad Fowler, and "Agile Web
    > Development with Rails" by Dave Thomas and DHH.
    >
    > 5 - The web stuff including video and pod-casts like...
    > http://railscasts.com/, http://peepcode.com/
    >
    > 7 - The Ruby In Steel Visual Studio plug-in for Ruby and Rails
    > projects.
    > http://www.sapphiresteel.com/
    > (Did I mention that I love Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE??? Your a
    > pretty cool guy Mac, but I still prefer Visual Studio... :)
    >
    > 6 - It's fun to learn a new language:)
    >
    > OK enough said... I like Ruby and I especially appreciate all that
    > the
    > community has done to help bring us newbies along:)
    >
    > Bill Plummer
    >
    > PS: One tiny comment about "taking a friend and turning them into a
    > Borg" by implementing the language through the CLR. If Jon Lam
    > does his
    > job right, we won't know whether we are using Matz's Ruby or
    > Microsoft's
    > IronRuby. Wait a minute, I'm in Visual Studio..., now is this Matz's
    > Ruby using the Ruby In Steel plug-in or is it Microsoft's IronRuby
    > running in the DLR??? It's so confusing... What's a developer to
    > do...
    > So many choices!!! :)

    But many of us are curious about developments at MS. We all know how
    well they follow standards. Standard C++ compiles so well with Visual
    Studio!

    But seriously, Ruby books are usually exceptionally good. Made even
    more so when compared to any book published by MS!
    Bill, you might have missed your calling. You really write like a
    marketing person, very good marketing copy! If Microsoft is still
    paying bloggers, you might want to see if they'll hook you up. What
    could be better than getting paid for posting what you like?

    John Joyce, Sep 28, 2007
  13. IronRuby

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Sep 28, 2007, at 7:42 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

    > A year or so ago -- Curt, Austin, correct me if I'm wrong here --
    > Curt Hibbs and Austin Ziegler tried to get a sensible behavior from
    > Microsoft so a "One-Click Installer" Ruby user could build gems
    > containing C source using the no-cost-but-non-free Microsoft C
    > compilers, along with building Ruby itself that way. It never
    > happened, and I wonder if IronRuby is the reason. Perhaps Microsoft
    > doesn't see the need for the regular open source MRI interpreter
    > now that there's IronRuby on the CLR. No matter how "willing"
    > Microsoft is to do things, there are always going to be things they
    > don't do

    and msys is still there...

    a @ http://drawohara.com/
    better. simply reflect on that.
    h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    ara.t.howard, Sep 28, 2007
  14. I tried to install IronRuby twice yesterday, and failed both times. The
    first I got from some website like Yasu labs or something like that.
    Tried to follow the steps to building it. no luck there. The second try
    was from getting the source from SVN and doing the video tutoiral. Again
    fail :(

    I work with VB.NET and ASP.NET here at work, but I would rather use ruby
    where possible, so if I can get this thing working, then I'm down.

    Or until I can get a job working with the real thing :)

    ~Jeremy

    Jeremy Woertink, Sep 28, 2007
  15. Jeremy Woertink wrote:
    > I tried to install IronRuby twice yesterday, and failed both times.

    It can be done (I've done it). However, bear in mind that IronRuby is
    quite a young project. If you want a smooth and satisfying installing
    and programming experience, I would suggest that you wait a while longer
    until the project is a little more mature.

    Suffice to say, we are watching closely... :)

    best wishes
    Huw Collingbourne

    SapphireSteel Software
    Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com

    Huw Collingbourne, Sep 28, 2007
  16. > From: Alex Young [mailto:]

    > > Or If it is just like ruby + .Net, why didnt MS work with the
    > > community to make the .Net stuff an extension to the real ruby,
    > > instead of taking from the community and locking it to their

    > platform?
    > Licensing, in a word. At least, that's the explanation that makes most
    > sense to me...

    MSFT did work quite a lot with me (aka the community) when I built the Ruby=
    CLR bridge (which, BTW is still out there and a viable alternative if folks=
    want to use MRI and not IronRuby).

    It's not a licensing issue. It's the fact that our customers want an implem=
    entation that runs natively on top of the .NET platform (aka CLR). This is =
    exactly the same reason why folks want to run JRuby on top of the JVM.

    Regardless of whether its JRuby, IronRuby or Rubinius (aka the alternative =
    implementations), we're all bending over backwards to make sure that we sta=
    y true to the language. There are going to be a few corner cases where that=
    is a difficult/impossible thing to do (cf continuations / performant Objec=
    tSpace implementations), but we're all in this for the long run.

    -John

    PS responses will be delayed on this thread (if it continues) since I'm tec=
    hnically on vacation right now :)

    John Lam (DLR), Sep 29, 2007