Anyone interested in trying out a lightweight Java frontend?

Ron

Hi. Recently I had access to a computer in the middle of nowhere with
your basic JRE on it and I decided to do some light programming with
Notepad. Soon I realized how used to things like auto-indents and
automatic go-to-compile-error-line lists I was, so I decided to make my
own Java frontend. I call it Flavor Crystals. You give it a directory
and it parses all of the java files in it and all the subdirectories.
There's a JTree on the left with all the files, and class methods and
inner-classes too. The bottom houses the output window, which is a
JList that automatically uses compiler and runtime output to get you to
the exact line that you need (works for exceptions too). I've gotten
this thing to a pretty nice state and I thought other people might get
use out of it too, instead of using those incredibly bulky Java
environments by Borland and IBM. Let me know if you'd like a copy and
if you'd like to help me develop it along. I want to add debugging
support (see previous msg) as well. Again, I think this is a really
nice tool.

Best,
Ron

jessu

Have you tried the relatively lighter front ends like JCreator/Gel ?
Anyway, congrats for your work. It would be nice if you can host it
some where, so that any one can download it and use.

Ron

Hey, that's a good idea. You can dl Flavor Crystals at
ronblatt.tripod.com/flavor_crystals.zip. It takes one command-line
argument, an ini file. The first line of the file contains the root
directory of your code. The second and third are the compile and run
commands. The third and fourth are the debug compile and run commands,
but Debug-Run starts a jdb session and does nothing with it (see

Ron

Abhijat Vatsyayan

Why not host this on sourceforge (or some other similar site of your
choice)? It will be easy for people to collaborate when the app is
hosted on a site like sourceforge.
Abhijat