Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was:Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like lan

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Hahn, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:19:25 -0800, EP wrote:

    > Jeremy Bowers commented:


    > If you can't come up with a good name, use a letter and symbol or
    > three (but no more than 3), e.g. C, C++, C#. Such will be
    > non-objectionable, but will not help you in getting your
    > language/technology adopted, or even remembered.


    Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
    using DX, for Dynamic Xml language. I had a number of cute names like
    groovy but I just couldn't stand the thought of a cute name. I also had
    acronyms like UDXL but that would get lost in the sea of acronyms. So my
    web-site will be dx-lang.org and all will be well.

    Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
    Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
    is a non-issue.
     
    Mark Hahn, Sep 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Mark Hahn wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
    > Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
    > is a non-issue.
    >


    I don't think that it will get in your way, but:

    486-DX


    --Irmen
     
    Irmen de Jong, Sep 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mark Hahn

    Robert Kern Guest

    Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Mark Hahn wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:19:25 -0800, EP wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Jeremy Bowers commented:

    >
    >
    >>If you can't come up with a good name, use a letter and symbol or
    >>three (but no more than 3), e.g. C, C++, C#. Such will be
    >>non-objectionable, but will not help you in getting your
    >>language/technology adopted, or even remembered.

    >
    >
    > Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
    > using DX, for Dynamic Xml language.


    I'd be cautious about that. "dynamic xml" googles up a large number of hits.

    > I had a number of cute names like
    > groovy but I just couldn't stand the thought of a cute name. I also had
    > acronyms like UDXL but that would get lost in the sea of acronyms. So my
    > web-site will be dx-lang.org and all will be well.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
    > Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
    > is a non-issue.


    There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
    has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.

    --
    Robert Kern


    "In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
    Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
    -- Richard Harter
     
    Robert Kern, Sep 6, 2004
    #3
  4. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:45:01 -0700, Robert Kern wrote:

    > Mark Hahn wrote:
    >> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:19:25 -0800, EP wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Jeremy Bowers commented:

    >>
    >>
    >>>If you can't come up with a good name, use a letter and symbol or
    >>>three (but no more than 3), e.g. C, C++, C#. Such will be
    >>>non-objectionable, but will not help you in getting your
    >>>language/technology adopted, or even remembered.

    >>
    >>
    >> Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
    >> using DX, for Dynamic Xml language.

    >
    > I'd be cautious about that. "dynamic xml" googles up a large number of hits.
    >
    >> I had a number of cute names like
    >> groovy but I just couldn't stand the thought of a cute name. I also had
    >> acronyms like UDXL but that would get lost in the sea of acronyms. So my
    >> web-site will be dx-lang.org and all will be well.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
    >> Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
    >> is a non-issue.

    >
    > There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
    > has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.


    That looks pretty bad. Even though it's only on high-end workstations it
    is a language and you run it with >DX

    Oh well.
     
    Mark Hahn, Sep 7, 2004
    #4
  5. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Mark Hahn wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?


    I'd be willing to bet some people abbreviate DirectX's name as "DX".
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was: Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net)

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:21:22 -0700, Mark Hahn wrote:

    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:19:25 -0800, EP wrote:
    >
    >> Jeremy Bowers commented:

    >
    >> If you can't come up with a good name, use a letter and symbol or
    >> three (but no more than 3), e.g. C, C++, C#. Such will be
    >> non-objectionable, but will not help you in getting your
    >> language/technology adopted, or even remembered.

    >
    > Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
    > using DX, for Dynamic Xml language.


    That isn't actually my advice (which the quoting sorta makes plausible)
    but here is my stupid advice, or "idea" anyhow: Anagrams. My "outliner" is
    called "Iron Lute". It's kooky, but it is distinctive and a google search
    for that phrase (quoted) came up nearly empty at naming time.

    The "great" names are long gone. The entirity of the naming space hasn't
    even begun to be tapped. New projects at this point are lucky if their
    name has any relation to what it does. Python? Apache? Evolution? Perl?
    It's not even a new problem :)
     
    Jeremy Bowers, Sep 7, 2004
    #6
  7. Mark Hahn

    Roger Binns Guest

    Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was: Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net)

    Jeremy Bowers wrote:
    > The "great" names are long gone.


    Here is my (unpatented) technique:

    Use APG online to generate pronounceable words (they are intended to be
    passwords but who cares). You need to turn off symbols and digits.
    Here is one site:

    http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/

    Set the length range to whatever takes your fancy. Read through the
    list and do a Google search for any that look good. Wonder how on
    earth so many of them have matches. Rinse and repeat until you find
    one with no matches.

    It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)

    I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
    up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
    name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
    generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
    index. They never responded.

    Roger
     
    Roger Binns, Sep 7, 2004
    #7
  8. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Robert Kern <> wrote in message news:<chip9c$vh$>...
    > Mark Hahn wrote:
    > > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:19:25 -0800, EP wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Jeremy Bowers commented:

    > >
    > >
    > >>If you can't come up with a good name, use a letter and symbol or
    > >>three (but no more than 3), e.g. C, C++, C#. Such will be
    > >>non-objectionable, but will not help you in getting your
    > >>language/technology adopted, or even remembered.

    > >
    > >
    > > Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
    > > using DX, for Dynamic Xml language.

    >
    > I'd be cautious about that. "dynamic xml" googles up a large number of hits.
    >
    > > I had a number of cute names like
    > > groovy but I just couldn't stand the thought of a cute name. I also had
    > > acronyms like UDXL but that would get lost in the sea of acronyms. So my
    > > web-site will be dx-lang.org and all will be well.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
    > > Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
    > > is a non-issue.

    >
    > There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
    > has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.


    DX - a type of radio transmission
    DX - a defunct wrestling tag-team
    DX - a certification of film (I think)
    DX - Degenerative Exponential
    DX - Dynamic XML
    DX - a user on slashdot (I think)

    there's the ones I can think of
     
    Matthew K Jensen, Sep 7, 2004
    #8
  9. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Mark Hahn wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software
    > projects?
    > Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume
    > that
    > is a non-issue.


    Did Google stop working suddenly?

    --
    __ Erik Max Francis && && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    / \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis
    \__/ Love is when you wake up in the morning and have a big smile.
    -- Anggun
     
    Erik Max Francis, Sep 7, 2004
    #9
  10. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:07:03 -0700, Erik Max Francis wrote:

    > Did Google stop working suddenly?


    I googled at length and missed Data Explorer for "dx". It came in way to
    far down in the list, even when I added "software" and/or "language". I
    didn't find it until I put in "data explorer".

    I have found that no matter how hard I try people here seem better at
    remembering things than my googling. Do you think I am misusing the list?
     
    Mark Hahn, Sep 7, 2004
    #10
  11. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    Anyone know anything named FastL? (was: Anyone know anything named

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:45:01 -0700, Robert Kern wrote:

    >> Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
    >> Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
    >> is a non-issue.

    >
    > There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
    > has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.


    OK, let me try again. Does anyone know of the name FastL being used
    anywhere for any software project or language?
     
    Mark Hahn, Sep 7, 2004
    #11
  12. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
    > up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
    > name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
    > generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
    > index. They never responded.


    That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
    to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
    general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
    generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
    get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.

    Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 7, 2004
    #12
  13. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 03:26:48 -0400, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Roger Binns wrote:
    >> I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
    >> up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
    >> name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
    >> generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
    >> index. They never responded.

    >
    > That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
    > to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
    > general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
    > generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
    > get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.
    >
    > Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...


    I remember way back in the '60s a public relations firm working for the
    Atlantic Richfield Company made a big deal about using the latest computer
    technology to generate thousands of potential names for new gas stations
    that their client was going to open. After all that the Atlantic Richfield
    Company chose "ARCO". :)
     
    Mark Hahn, Sep 7, 2004
    #13
  14. Re: Anyone know anything named DX?

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > Roger Binns wrote:
    > > I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
    > > up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
    > > name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
    > > generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
    > > index. They never responded.

    >
    > That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
    > to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
    > general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
    > generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
    > get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.
    >
    > Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...


    There's a recipe for the first part of this (generating
    non-totally-ranom passwords by pastiche, i.e. Markov Chain) in the 1st
    printed edition of the Cookbook -- it would be neat to add a back-end
    for the second part, the check with the Google API...


    Alex
     
    Alex Martelli, Sep 7, 2004
    #14
  15. Re: Anyone know anything named DX?

    Alex Martelli wrote:
    > There's a recipe for the first part of this (generating
    > non-totally-ranom passwords by pastiche, i.e. Markov Chain) in the 1st
    > printed edition of the Cookbook -- it would be neat to add a back-end
    > for the second part, the check with the Google API...


    I've played around with Markov Chains the Google API before, and it
    wouldn't be very hard to implement (if you don't care about speed or
    sanity, anyway). I think the toughest part would be gathering word lists
    for the subject matter Roger Binns mentioned.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 7, 2004
    #15
  16. Re: Anyone know anything named DX?

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > Alex Martelli wrote:
    > > There's a recipe for the first part of this (generating
    > > non-totally-ranom passwords by pastiche, i.e. Markov Chain) in the 1st
    > > printed edition of the Cookbook -- it would be neat to add a back-end
    > > for the second part, the check with the Google API...

    >
    > I've played around with Markov Chains the Google API before, and it
    > wouldn't be very hard to implement (if you don't care about speed or
    > sanity, anyway). I think the toughest part would be gathering word lists
    > for the subject matter Roger Binns mentioned.


    Heh, gathering (and cleaning up, etc) good clean corpora was indeed the
    hardest part of building a Markov model for natural language (for speech
    recognition purposes) as we were doing in IBM Research starting about 20
    years ago -- that's when I learned to love scripting, AKA very high
    level, languages (at that time and place, that meant Rexx).

    But today, with so much material on any given field in any given
    language available from the web, the task is _way_ easier -- for the
    generic Italian corpus of the '80s we had to "reverse engineer" the text
    from tens of millions of words that were available in machine-readable
    form only as binary files ready to drive some kind of photocomposer,
    kindly suppied to us by various newspapers, agencies and
    publishers...!-)

    Oops, I'm slipping into warstories, like us old codgers tend to do, I'd
    better stop right here! Still, the advice is to wget or urllib.get a
    bunch of web pages of interest and format them into reasonably clean
    text -- shouldn't be all THAT tough!


    Alex
     
    Alex Martelli, Sep 7, 2004
    #16
  17. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was: Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net)

    "Roger Binns" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Jeremy Bowers wrote:
    > > The "great" names are long gone.

    >
    > Here is my (unpatented) technique:
    >
    > Use APG online to generate pronounceable words (they are intended to be
    > passwords but who cares). You need to turn off symbols and digits.
    > Here is one site:
    >
    > http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/
    >
    > Set the length range to whatever takes your fancy. Read through the
    > list and do a Google search for any that look good. Wonder how on
    > earth so many of them have matches. Rinse and repeat until you find
    > one with no matches.
    >
    > It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)
    >
    > I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
    > up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
    > name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
    > generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
    > index. They never responded.
    >
    > Roger



    That sounds like a *very* good idea.....
    I'm not going to do it though ;-)

    Regards,


    Fuzzy

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html
     
    Michael Foord, Sep 7, 2004
    #17
  18. Mark Hahn

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Roger Binns wrote:

    > http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/
    >
    > It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)


    Since most of the ones it generates are useless for this
    discussion, I thought I'd give the several potential ones
    that it popped up for me amidst the crap:

    dophon
    cowbird

    I kinda like the second one... (it said it's pronounced
    "cowb-ird" though, so maybe it wouldn't do. ;-)

    -Peter
     
    Peter Hansen, Sep 7, 2004
    #18
  19. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was: Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net)

    Le 07-09-2004, Roger Binns <> a écrit :
    > It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)


    Well. Am I the only one surprised that "entrocul" searched on google
    doesn't lead to some pr0n page, possibly in French, or some other
    latin-derived modern language? :)

    --
    Alexandre Fayolle LOGILAB, Paris (France).
    http://www.logilab.com http://www.logilab.fr http://www.logilab.org
     
    Alexandre Fayolle, Sep 7, 2004
    #19
  20. Re: Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

    Peter Hansen wrote:
    > Roger Binns wrote:
    >
    >> http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/
    >>
    >> It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)

    >
    >
    > Since most of the ones it generates are useless for this
    > discussion, I thought I'd give the several potential ones
    > that it popped up for me amidst the crap:
    >
    > dophon
    > cowbird
    >
    > I kinda like the second one... (it said it's pronounced
    > "cowb-ird" though, so maybe it wouldn't do. ;-)
    >
    > -Peter


    "Cowb-ird"? Is that anything like "cow-orkers"? :)

    Cow-birds are a lot like Cuckoo birds (yes, they ARE real) in that they
    lay eggs in other birds' nests.

    OT? Hmmm... let's see. :)
     
    Daniel Ellison, Sep 7, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?bGFuZW0=?=
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    328
    Juan T. Llibre
    Oct 6, 2005
  2. Mark Hahn
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    670
    Richie Hindle
    Sep 3, 2004
  3. Jack Diederich
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    646
    Alex Martelli
    Sep 4, 2004
  4. Chris

    .pycs

    Chris, Nov 1, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    404
    Chris
    Nov 1, 2006
  5. Noah Roberts

    Has anyone seen anything like this

    Noah Roberts, Oct 20, 2006, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    287
    Noah Roberts
    Oct 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page