Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was:Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like lan

Mark Hahn

Jeremy Bowers commented:
If you can't come up with a good name, use a letter and symbol or
three (but no more than 3), e.g. C, C++, C#. Such will be
non-objectionable, but will not help you in getting your
language/technology adopted, or even remembered.

Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
using DX, for Dynamic Xml language. I had a number of cute names like
groovy but I just couldn't stand the thought of a cute name. I also had
acronyms like UDXL but that would get lost in the sea of acronyms. So my
web-site will be dx-lang.org and all will be well.

Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
is a non-issue.

Irmen de Jong

Mark said:
Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
is a non-issue.

I don't think that it will get in your way, but:

486-DX

--Irmen

Robert Kern

Mark said:
Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
using DX, for Dynamic Xml language.

I'd be cautious about that. "dynamic xml" googles up a large number of hits.
I had a number of cute names like
groovy but I just couldn't stand the thought of a cute name. I also had
acronyms like UDXL but that would get lost in the sea of acronyms. So my
web-site will be dx-lang.org and all will be well.

Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?
Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume that
is a non-issue.

There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Mark Hahn

I'd be cautious about that. "dynamic xml" googles up a large number of hits.

There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.

That looks pretty bad. Even though it's only on high-end workstations it
is a language and you run it with >DX

Oh well.

Leif K-Brooks

Mark said:
Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software projects?

I'd be willing to bet some people abbreviate DirectX's name as "DX".

Jeremy Bowers

Well, I gave up on coming up with a good name so I'm taking your advice and
using DX, for Dynamic Xml language.

That isn't actually my advice (which the quoting sorta makes plausible)
but here is my stupid advice, or "idea" anyhow: Anagrams. My "outliner" is
called "Iron Lute". It's kooky, but it is distinctive and a google search
for that phrase (quoted) came up nearly empty at naming time.

The "great" names are long gone. The entirity of the naming space hasn't
even begun to be tapped. New projects at this point are lucky if their
name has any relation to what it does. Python? Apache? Evolution? Perl?
It's not even a new problem :)

Roger Binns

Jeremy said:
The "great" names are long gone.

Here is my (unpatented) technique:

Use APG online to generate pronounceable words (they are intended to be
passwords but who cares). You need to turn off symbols and digits.
Here is one site:

http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/

Set the length range to whatever takes your fancy. Read through the
list and do a Google search for any that look good. Wonder how on
earth so many of them have matches. Rinse and repeat until you find
one with no matches.

It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)

I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
index. They never responded.

Roger

Matthew K Jensen

Robert Kern said:
I'd be cautious about that. "dynamic xml" googles up a large number of hits.

There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.

DX - a type of radio transmission
DX - a defunct wrestling tag-team
DX - a certification of film (I think)
DX - Degenerative Exponential
DX - Dynamic XML
DX - a user on slashdot (I think)

there's the ones I can think of

Erik Max Francis

Mark said:
Does anyone know of any conflicts for DX? Any existing software
projects?
Any languages? I know all about all the ham radio stuff but I assume
that
is a non-issue.

Did Google stop working suddenly?

Mark Hahn

Did Google stop working suddenly?

I googled at length and missed Data Explorer for "dx". It came in way to
far down in the list, even when I added "software" and/or "language". I
didn't find it until I put in "data explorer".

I have found that no matter how hard I try people here seem better at
remembering things than my googling. Do you think I am misusing the list?

Mark Hahn

There's IBM's Data Explorer (DX) although its most recent incarnation
has been released as an open source project under the name OpenDX.

OK, let me try again. Does anyone know of the name FastL being used
anywhere for any software project or language?

Leif K-Brooks

Roger said:
I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
index. They never responded.

That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.

Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...

Mark Hahn

That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.

Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...

I remember way back in the '60s a public relations firm working for the
Atlantic Richfield Company made a big deal about using the latest computer
technology to generate thousands of potential names for new gas stations
that their client was going to open. After all that the Atlantic Richfield
Company chose "ARCO". :)

Alex Martelli

Leif K-Brooks said:
That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.

Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...

There's a recipe for the first part of this (generating
non-totally-ranom passwords by pastiche, i.e. Markov Chain) in the 1st
printed edition of the Cookbook -- it would be neat to add a back-end
for the second part, the check with the Google API...

Alex

Leif K-Brooks

Alex said:
There's a recipe for the first part of this (generating
non-totally-ranom passwords by pastiche, i.e. Markov Chain) in the 1st
printed edition of the Cookbook -- it would be neat to add a back-end
for the second part, the check with the Google API...

I've played around with Markov Chains the Google API before, and it
wouldn't be very hard to implement (if you don't care about speed or
sanity, anyway). I think the toughest part would be gathering word lists
for the subject matter Roger Binns mentioned.

Alex Martelli

Leif K-Brooks said:
I've played around with Markov Chains the Google API before, and it
wouldn't be very hard to implement (if you don't care about speed or
sanity, anyway). I think the toughest part would be gathering word lists
for the subject matter Roger Binns mentioned.

Heh, gathering (and cleaning up, etc) good clean corpora was indeed the
hardest part of building a Markov model for natural language (for speech
recognition purposes) as we were doing in IBM Research starting about 20
years ago -- that's when I learned to love scripting, AKA very high
level, languages (at that time and place, that meant Rexx).

But today, with so much material on any given field in any given
language available from the web, the task is _way_ easier -- for the
generic Italian corpus of the '80s we had to "reverse engineer" the text
from tens of millions of words that were available in machine-readable
form only as binary files ready to drive some kind of photocomposer,
kindly suppied to us by various newspapers, agencies and
publishers...!-)

Oops, I'm slipping into warstories, like us old codgers tend to do, I'd
better stop right here! Still, the advice is to wget or urllib.get a
bunch of web pages of interest and format them into reasonably clean
text -- shouldn't be all THAT tough!

Alex

Michael Foord

Roger Binns said:
Here is my (unpatented) technique:

Use APG online to generate pronounceable words (they are intended to be
passwords but who cares). You need to turn off symbols and digits.
Here is one site:

http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/

Set the length range to whatever takes your fancy. Read through the
list and do a Google search for any that look good. Wonder how on
earth so many of them have matches. Rinse and repeat until you find
one with no matches.

It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)

I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
index. They never responded.

Roger

That sounds like a *very* good idea.....
I'm not going to do it though ;-)

Regards,

Fuzzy

Peter Hansen

Roger said:
http://maurizio.giampy.it/apg/

It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)

Since most of the ones it generates are useless for this
discussion, I thought I'd give the several potential ones
that it popped up for me amidst the crap:

dophon
cowbird

I kinda like the second one... (it said it's pronounced
"cowb-ird" though, so maybe it wouldn't do. ;-)

-Peter

Alexandre Fayolle

Le 07-09-2004 said:
It was how I came up with Entrocul and BitPim :)

Well. Am I the only one surprised that "entrocul" searched on google
doesn't lead to some pr0n page, possibly in French, or some other
latin-derived modern language? :)

Daniel Ellison

Peter said:
Since most of the ones it generates are useless for this
discussion, I thought I'd give the several potential ones
that it popped up for me amidst the crap:

dophon
cowbird

I kinda like the second one... (it said it's pronounced
"cowb-ird" though, so maybe it wouldn't do. ;-)

-Peter

"Cowb-ird"? Is that anything like "cow-orkers"? :)

Cow-birds are a lot like Cuckoo birds (yes, they ARE real) in that they
lay eggs in other birds' nests.

OT? Hmmm... let's see. :)