Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs) (was:Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like lan

Richie Hindle

[Peter]
I kinda like [cowbird]

Here's a script for making more product names by combining two single-syllable
words into one:

import re, random
words = open('/usr/share/dict/words', 'r').read().strip().lower().split()
words = [w for w in words if not re.search(r'[aeiouy][^aeiouy]+[aeiouy]', w)]
for i in range(10):
print random.choice(words) + random.choice(words)

This has given me the following projects to start work on ASAP:

goalsleuth
lustwhim
floatmaps
reactstep
shillpro
freshlight
camworks
diskshock
snapgosh
runless

I haven't looked those up on SourceForge, but I bet most of them are there (at
status Planning).

Carlos Ribeiro

There are professional tools that go much farther than this -- they
not only generate words, but also check:

a) if the word has no offensive meaning on several languages (yes, it
happens, and one has to be really careful);
b) if the word is pronounceable for native speakers of different languages.

It could potentially also check if the word was registered, but I
don't know if they have done that still (it would need access to
trademark databases that probably is not widely available).

I once read a report from Gillete regarding the branding strategy used
for its Mach product. They used this type of service to generate three
good options for a worldwide brand, and selected Mach. I don't
remember the other options but they were quite good sounding too.

That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.

Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos