Anyone know what 512 as a return code for fetchmail means?

David Stockwell

Hi,

I've been playing with the python interpreter and fetchmail on a linux
system.
I created a userid and put a couple of emails out there. I've tried both
imap and pop3 but both give an answer of 512. I have also removed the
files via a normal remove on the server and then done the below and it
always returns 512.
512

Thanks,

David Stockwell
-------
Cell: http://cellphone.duneram.com/index.html
Cam: http://www.duneram.com/cam/index.html
Tax: http://www.duneram.com/index.html

Grant Edwards

I created a userid and put a couple of emails out there. I've tried both
imap and pop3 but both give an answer of 512. I have also removed the
files via a normal remove on the server and then done the below and it
always returns 512.

The exit code from the program is in the upper byte of the
value returned by os.cmd(). So the return code is 2. According
to fetchmail's man page:

The exit codes returned by fetchmail are as follows:

[...]

2 An error was encountered when attempting to open a
socket to retrieve mail. If you don't know what
a socket is, don't worry about it -- just treat
this as an 'unrecoverable error'. This error can
also be because a protocol fetchmail wants to use
is not listed in /etc/services.