Anyone know when VS 2005 is coming out?

Alan Silver

Hello,

According to MS's web site, VS 2005 will be coming out "in the first
half of 2005", which isn't very helpful. That could be anytime between
tomorrow and the end of June. I am interested in getting VS, but I don't
see the point of buying VS 2003 (which isn't cheap), only to have it
outdated in a few months.

On the other hand, I would really like to get going with VS as writing
ASP.NET pages by hand is time consuming ;-)

Anyone heard anything? TIA

Karl Seguin

First half of 2005 seems optimistic...I think beta2 is scheduled for the end
of March.....You won't get any more specific information 'til then.

Why not use Web Matrix in the meantime?

Karl

Alan Silver

First half of 2005 seems optimistic...I think beta2 is scheduled for the end
of March.....You won't get any more specific information 'til then.

Why not use Web Matrix in the meantime?

I have been, but VS looks like it's got loads more features. Truth is,
for all WM gave me (given that I'm trying to learn this right first
time, so I'm avoiding the RAD tools), WM doesn't really give me much
more than I get with a text editor. It's a lot slower than a text editor
as well!!

I don't really have a problem doing it this way for now as I'm still
very much in the learning stages and I find it much better to type
everything by hand than have a tool create it for you. You get to think
about what you are doing this way. I was just interested in VS for when
I (hopefully) get good enough at this to want to start being more
productive.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevin Spencer

Thank your lucky stars that you're not using Beta 1! I'll just leave it at
that.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Alan Silver

Thank your lucky stars that you're not using Beta 1! I'll just leave it at

Of what? VS? I have downloaded a beta of Visual Web Developer, which
looks great except for the fact that it runs like a snail. I know my
machine isn't exactly top-spec by today's ratings, but it runs any
non-.NET application fine. Anything written in .NET drags along
painfully. VWD take up to a minute to move the I-bar when you're typing.
Switching between design and code views can also take that long. I know
I should get a new machine, but I didn't need one until I tried this!!