Anyone mannaged to access parallel port on windows xp?

alejandro

I have a switch that I should connect to the parallel port, but had no luck
with it. Tha guy that made it for me told me that it would be easyer to
connect via parallel instead the USB....
So did anyone have success? I only get suckess!! :))
tryed giveio.sys but it doesn't wort (can't figure out what is it)

Daniel Fetchinson

I have a switch that I should connect to the parallel port, but had no luck
with it. Tha guy that made it for me told me that it would be easyer to
connect via parallel instead the USB....
So did anyone have success? I only get suckess!! :))
tryed giveio.sys but it doesn't wort (can't figure out what is it)

Have you tried http://pyserial.wiki.sourceforge.net/pyParallel ?

Cheers,
Daniel

alejandro

I have a PC at work and at home. I wanted to write the errors it throws out
when i try to use the module but now it work on this PC(the one at work). I
don't get it?!?! I tryed so many things and now I can't remember what I have
done :))) This is worse than before!
I will post the errors when i get home.
Thanks for the reply!

alejandro

Now it doesn't throw exceptions but it doesn't work. I tryed to connect a
LED light to the port and it wan't glow. Do you know a way to check if the
port work?

Dennis Lee Bieber

I have a switch that I should connect to the parallel port, but had no luck
with it. Tha guy that made it for me told me that it would be easyer to
connect via parallel instead the USB....
So did anyone have success? I only get suckess!! :))
tryed giveio.sys but it doesn't wort (can't figure out what is it)

Parallel port I/O is not easy -- there is a whole book on the
subject covering the differences in various controller chips, addresses
at which the port may appear, etc.

Hmm, couple of books, actually...
http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Port...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239172439&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-P...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239172439&sr=8-3

Note that if you are just sending a byte of data to the port, you
will likely only see a momentary blip as the data line triggers.

Many years ago, I had to code (in Visual C++) a program that would
use six of the 8 data pins as three pseudo RS-422 balanced signals, all
clocked out in response to an external clock I had to detect on the
input signal pins of the port.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/