Anyone use RadControls or Devexpress 3rd party controls?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cirene, May 13, 2008.

  1. Cirene

    Cirene Guest

    Cirene, May 13, 2008

  2. Cirene

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    We are using telerik's RadTreeView and it is just great. Have you tried
    their control in trial period? That way you get to know it better.

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    AspInsider, ASP.NET MVP

    Teemu Keiski, May 13, 2008

  3. Cirene

    Arthur Dent Guest

    I use Telerik's full RadControls AJAX suite (and previously the non-AJAX
    ones).
    I absolutely love them, and have regularly renewed my support contract.

    The tools are top-notch, and the support is fast and helpful.
    With the latest releases, they've really brought them in-line too with the
    standard controls,
    in terms of property naming and stuff. And the skin engine is easy to
    understand and modify.

    Very robust, and well worth the money paid. HTH

    Arthur Dent, May 13, 2008
  4. I absolutely LOVE the Telerik suite. The latest Q1 2008 release of the
    ASP.Net Ajax suite is incredible. Overall, a very strong and robust full
    suite.

    The DevExpress ASPxScheduler has been around a bit longer than Telerik's
    scheduler and may be a bit more mature. I haven't played with the
    ASPxScheduler, but I have used a number of their other components and have
    found them all to be very nice and easy to use.

    I guess if I was only looking for a scheduler only, I would go with the
    ASPxScheduler. If I wanted a full suite, the Telerik suite has an excellent
    array of core controls. Telerik's support and samples tend to be second to
    none in the industry and you can tell how involved they are with their
    customers by the great activity level in their forums. I use both DevExpress
    and Telerik suites together in a number of my projects and they play well
    together and have a great array of features that complement eachother
    nicely.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression

    Mark Fitzpatrick, May 13, 2008
  5. Cirene

    Cirene Guest

    Any experience with Infagistics and their NetAdvantage product? Thanks for
    the info guys!!!!

    Cirene, May 13, 2008
  6. The Infragistics suite is also very good. Of course, there's a lot of
    overlap on most of these suites but I find that I use a lot of these
    different controls depending upon the exact requirements. For instance, if I
    need a grid with tabbed hierarchical items I use the DevExpress GridView. If
    I need a grid that's very much excel-like, I use the Infragistics Grid and
    can also make use of their ExcelCalc library. If I need a really nicely
    decorated grid I use the Telerik RadGrid.

    The nice thing about the Infragistics WebSchedule is it does have backend
    database features built in if I remember correctly (though I haven't used it
    in a year or so). It's also fairly mature, having been in their offering for
    at least a couple of years. That said it's definitely feature-packed and
    has a great sample app that comes with it. I find Infragistics application
    styling features to be very flexible, but usually a bit overkill and can
    slow me down in setting them up. Still, the application styling provides a
    great depth of functionality, but sometimes I choose a different control
    such as a Telerik control because it's very easy to use one of the default
    skins and their skins are built right into the dll control itself (no
    external skin libraries required for them anymore). The downside of course,
    Telerik RadSchedule doesn't have a backend that comes with it, you have to
    supply that but otherwise all the suites have great support and great
    features.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression

    Mark Fitzpatrick, May 13, 2008
  7. I am using telerik controls all the time and am very happy with them and
    with their support.

    With this, I would need a very strong motivation for starting looking at
    other products. Although telerik controls are easy to use, they do require
    certain learning curve and some hours will be necessary wasted due to
    misunderstanding concepts and documentation.Unless there is a very strong
    reason for that, I would not like having to pass through all this again with
    some other products. It you are missing a feature, it may be safer and
    faster to code it yourself than to switch to another grid.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer

    Eliyahu Goldin, May 14, 2008