Anyone use the NetBeans IDE?

noid droid

Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?

How do you like it?

I'm new to Java and am considering using it to write code on.

Quick question: Often java is interpreted or JIT compiled, but is it
possible to compile to native code on the Netbeans IDE?

Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

Just wondering.

droid

Sudsy

noid said:
Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?

How do you like it?

I'm new to Java and am considering using it to write code on.

Quick question: Often java is interpreted or JIT compiled, but is it
possible to compile to native code on the Netbeans IDE?

Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

Just wondering.

droid

Looks like someone should be reading the archives! No offense, but
these questions arise all the time. You'll likely hear from advocates
of JBuilder, Eclipse, emacs, et al. Open-ended questions like these
should not be multi-posted to comp.lang.java.programmer when they
properly belong in comp.lang.java.help, eh?

RCS

noid said:
Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?

How do you like it?

I liked it very much, until I got hold of Eclipse.
Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

Definitely check out Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org

There is also a plug-in for Eclipse that allows one to do GUI
development almost as easy as in JBuilder and NetBeans, and this plug-in
supports both Swing and SWT (the plug-in accepts Netbeans Forms):

http://www.cloudgarden.com/jigloo/index.html

Life as a Java programmer has not been sweeter!

Regards,
RCS

Matt O'Toole

noid said:
Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?

How do you like it?

I'm new to Java and am considering using it to write code on.

Quick question: Often java is interpreted or JIT compiled, but is it
possible to compile to native code on the Netbeans IDE?

Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

Just wondering.

I do like it for GUI programming, because it auto-generates dead standard Java
code -- no proprietary layout managers, etc. But for hand coding I prefer a
lighter tool. The best way to answer this question is to download and try them
all, and see which one works best for you.

Matt O.

Jon A. Cruz

ak said:
free one is not always the best one:)

best refactoring tool is IntellijIDEA.
you can use it for free if you participate in early access programm.
go to http://www.intellij.net

It's very handy.

And as of Eclipse 2.1, Eclipse is catching up on it also.

I'd say check out either of those.

Chris

I've just started using it for all my home projects, and in general it
seems OK, not as nice to use as JBuilder for example, but it is free!

The concept of file mounts is a little tricky to get to grips with,
but besides that it does the job.

However I don't do much front-end work (i.e. Swing/AWT), I haven't
used the GUI editor, so idea what that's like.

- sarge

Chris

David Segall said:
Borland JBuilder Foundation
(http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also free. Any other
reason for choosing NetBeans?

Good point. I'll check it out.

Is it complete though? I tried the free version a couple of years ago,
it was several versions old (not such a big deal), but the main gripe
was it didn't contain an interactive debugger!

Doh! Just as I get to grips with NetBeans some bugger comes along and
.... ;)

- sarge

Louis M

Chris said:
Good point. I'll check it out.

Is it complete though? I tried the free version a couple of years ago,
it was several versions old (not such a big deal), but the main gripe
was it didn't contain an interactive debugger!

Doh! Just as I get to grips with NetBeans some bugger comes along and
... ;)

- sarge
Try Eclipse - eclipse.org - it has everything you need, and if it doesnt
you can plug it in.

David Segall

Good point. I'll check it out.

Is it complete though? I tried the free version a couple of years ago,
it was several versions old (not such a big deal), but the main gripe
was it didn't contain an interactive debugger!
It's the same release version. This document,
http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/pdf/jbx_feamatrix.pdf, compares it
with the Professional and Enterprise editions of JBuilder. I decided
to stay with NetBeans because they don't try to segment their users, a
number of open source tools are integrated with it and the NetBeans
themselves can be used in my own applications.
Doh! Just as I get to grips with NetBeans some bugger comes along and
... ;)
Sorry, but did you expect me let "not as nice to use as JBuilder" pass
without a comeback? :)