    Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

    Just wondering.

    droid
    noid droid, Jan 25, 2004

  2. noid droid

    Sudsy Guest

    noid droid wrote:
    > Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?
    >
    > How do you like it?
    >
    > I'm new to Java and am considering using it to write code on.
    >
    > Quick question: Often java is interpreted or JIT compiled, but is it
    > possible to compile to native code on the Netbeans IDE?
    >
    > Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?
    >
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > droid

    Looks like someone should be reading the archives! No offense, but
    these questions arise all the time. You'll likely hear from advocates
    of JBuilder, Eclipse, emacs, et al. Open-ended questions like these
    should not be multi-posted to comp.lang.java.programmer when they
    properly belong in comp.lang.java.help, eh?
    Sudsy, Jan 25, 2004

  3. noid droid

    RCS Guest

    noid droid wrote:

    > Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?
    >
    > How do you like it?

    I liked it very much, until I got hold of Eclipse.

    > Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

    Definitely check out Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org

    There is also a plug-in for Eclipse that allows one to do GUI
    development almost as easy as in JBuilder and NetBeans, and this plug-in
    supports both Swing and SWT (the plug-in accepts Netbeans Forms):

    http://www.cloudgarden.com/jigloo/index.html

    Life as a Java programmer has not been sweeter!

    Regards,
    RCS
    RCS, Jan 25, 2004
  4. noid droid

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    noid droid wrote:

    > Anyone using the NetBeans IDE from netbeans.org?
    >
    > How do you like it?
    >
    > I'm new to Java and am considering using it to write code on.
    >
    > Quick question: Often java is interpreted or JIT compiled, but is it
    > possible to compile to native code on the Netbeans IDE?
    >
    > Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?
    >
    > Just wondering.

    I do like it for GUI programming, because it auto-generates dead standard Java
    code -- no proprietary layout managers, etc. But for hand coding I prefer a
    lighter tool. The best way to answer this question is to download and try them
    all, and see which one works best for you.

    Matt O.
    Matt O'Toole, Jan 25, 2004
  5. noid droid

    ak Guest

    > Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?
    free one is not always the best one:)

    best refactoring tool is IntellijIDEA.
    you can use it for free if you participate in early access programm.
    go to http://www.intellij.net

    ____________

    http://reader.imagero.com
    ak, Jan 25, 2004
  6. noid droid

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    ak wrote:
    >>Are there any other free IDEs for Java that you'd recommend?

    > free one is not always the best one:)
    >
    > best refactoring tool is IntellijIDEA.
    > you can use it for free if you participate in early access programm.
    > go to http://www.intellij.net

    It's very handy.

    And as of Eclipse 2.1, Eclipse is catching up on it also.

    I'd say check out either of those.
    Jon A. Cruz, Jan 25, 2004
  7. noid droid

    Chris Guest

    I've just started using it for all my home projects, and in general it
    seems OK, not as nice to use as JBuilder for example, but it is free!

    The concept of file mounts is a little tricky to get to grips with,
    but besides that it does the job.

    However I don't do much front-end work (i.e. Swing/AWT), I haven't
    used the GUI editor, so idea what that's like.

    - sarge
    Chris, Jan 26, 2004
  8. noid droid

    David Segall Guest

    (Chris) wrote:

    >I've just started using it for all my home projects, and in general it
    >seems OK, not as nice to use as JBuilder for example, but it is free!

    Borland JBuilder Foundation
    (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also free. Any other
    reason for choosing NetBeans?

    David Segall, Jan 26, 2004
  9. noid droid

    Chris Guest

    David Segall <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Chris) wrote:
    >
    > >I've just started using it for all my home projects, and in general it
    > >seems OK, not as nice to use as JBuilder for example, but it is free!

    > Borland JBuilder Foundation
    > (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also free. Any other
    > reason for choosing NetBeans?

    Good point. I'll check it out.

    Is it complete though? I tried the free version a couple of years ago,
    it was several versions old (not such a big deal), but the main gripe
    was it didn't contain an interactive debugger!

    Doh! Just as I get to grips with NetBeans some bugger comes along and
    .... ;)

    - sarge
    Chris, Jan 28, 2004
  10. noid droid

    Louis M Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > David Segall <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> (Chris) wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've just started using it for all my home projects, and in general it
    >>>seems OK, not as nice to use as JBuilder for example, but it is free!

    >>Borland JBuilder Foundation
    >>(http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also free. Any other
    >>reason for choosing NetBeans?

    > Good point. I'll check it out.
    >
    > Is it complete though? I tried the free version a couple of years ago,
    > it was several versions old (not such a big deal), but the main gripe
    > was it didn't contain an interactive debugger!
    >
    > Doh! Just as I get to grips with NetBeans some bugger comes along and
    > ... ;)
    >
    > - sarge

    Try Eclipse - eclipse.org - it has everything you need, and if it doesnt
    you can plug it in.
    Louis M, Jan 29, 2004
  11. noid droid

    David Segall Guest

    (Chris) wrote:

    >David Segall <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> (Chris) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've just started using it for all my home projects, and in general it
    >> >seems OK, not as nice to use as JBuilder for example, but it is free!

    >> Borland JBuilder Foundation
    >> (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/) is also free. Any other
    >> reason for choosing NetBeans?

    >Good point. I'll check it out.
    >
    >Is it complete though? I tried the free version a couple of years ago,
    >it was several versions old (not such a big deal), but the main gripe
    >was it didn't contain an interactive debugger!

    It's the same release version. This document,
    http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/pdf/jbx_feamatrix.pdf, compares it
    with the Professional and Enterprise editions of JBuilder. I decided
    to stay with NetBeans because they don't try to segment their users, a
    number of open source tools are integrated with it and the NetBeans
    themselves can be used in my own applications.

    >Doh! Just as I get to grips with NetBeans some bugger comes along and
    >... ;)

    Sorry, but did you expect me let "not as nice to use as JBuilder" pass
    without a comeback? :)

    David Segall, Jan 29, 2004