Anyone use Visual Sourcesafe?

Rosanne

I've taken over a vb.net application. Any time I open an aspx page i
visual studio, I get the "check out" box from visual source saf
telling me that I cannot edit files without checking them out first.
This box appears as soon as the page is opened - before I even have
chance to make any changes. The problem seems to be with 2 @registe
tags at the top of the HTML. Visual studio will try to flip flop thes
tags with the @page tag when the page is opened. But, even if I chec
it out and save the changes that visual studio made and check it bac
in, I have the same problem if I try to open the page again - it flip
the tags again and forces me to check out the file. This doesn'
happen in the other vb.net application I work on. Any ideas?? It'
driving me nuts!

Thanks

Aaron Corcoran

Rosanne,

We have the exact same situation here. I haven't dived too deep into
the issue, but we are in the same boat =). Let me know if you find a
solution. Everything works great, just a bit annoying with that alert
popping up every time a page is opened.

Aaron

Guest

In Visual Studio, go to Tools, Options, Source Control

There you will find your answer. May the Schwartz be with you.

Marina

I believe there are options for this in VS.NET. If you go under Options,
Source Control, change the dropdown to 'Do Nothing' for the 'when checked in
items are edited' option.

If the 'when checked in items are saved' option is set to Prompt for check
out, you will still get prompts for when you save the file.

Another option is to not use the VSS integration into VS.NET. Just do the
check in/out right from VSS.
If you try to save a file that is checked out, it should be read-only on
your PC, so you will know you need to go check it out first.

Rosanne

Thanks for the replies! I don't really have an issue with sourc
control asking me to check out the file it if thinks I edited it.
have an issue with Visual Studio making changes to HTML when I open th
page. I guess my title was a bit misleading...I was really wonderin
why visual studio does this and how to stop it.

Thanks again! Rosann

Scott Allen

Hi Rosanna:

You can go to Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> HTML/XML -> Format
and uncheck the 'apply automatic formatting' options. I hope this will
help out your scenario, but there will always be times in VS.2003 when
the designer tweaks the code behind your back.

Rosanne

Thanks Scott! I tried that, but visual studio is still "editing" th
code when I open the file. Seems from everything I've read, it's jus
something I'll have to deal with until we move to version 2005.

Thanks again