Anyone with experience usging ADO for Oracle?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by angell, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. angell

    angell Guest

    Gurus,

    Please help. I am new to Active Perl. I downloaded Active Perl 5.6 to
    my local PC(Win2000 professional). I installed DBI-Oracle and tried to
    access database through DBI in a standalone perl program, it worked
    fine.

    Then I tried to use ADO in my asp pages.(I installed IIS as well and
    set up the system DSN "sd11".) I copied the code from the documentation
    and appended them to my asp page.

    <%
    $Conn = $Server->CreateObject("ADODB.Connection");

    $Conn->Open("sd11");

    $RS = $Conn->Execute("SELECT * from orders");

    $count = $RS->Fields->{Count};
    $Conn->Close();
    %>

    I keep getting this error message:
    "Can't call method "Fields" on an undefined value ". It seems the $RS
    object is not initiated. I don't have Access installed on my PC, so I
    couldn't test out whether my system DSN is created. But my gut feeling
    is that I'm missing sth else here.

    Can someone please help me out?

    angell, Mar 28, 2005

  2. angell

    Guest

    On 28 Mar 2005 14:54:04 -0800, "angell" <>
    wrote:

    >Gurus,
    >
    >Please help. I am new to Active Perl. I downloaded Active Perl 5.6 to
    >my local PC(Win2000 professional). I installed DBI-Oracle and tried to
    >access database through DBI in a standalone perl program, it worked
    >fine.
    >
    >Then I tried to use ADO in my asp pages.(I installed IIS as well and
    >set up the system DSN "sd11".) I copied the code from the documentation
    >and appended them to my asp page.
    >
    ><%
    > $Conn = $Server->CreateObject("ADODB.Connection");
    >
    > $Conn->Open("sd11");
    >
    > $RS = $Conn->Execute("SELECT * from orders");
    >
    > $count = $RS->Fields->{Count};
    > $Conn->Close();
    >%>
    >
    >I keep getting this error message:
    >"Can't call method "Fields" on an undefined value ". It seems the $RS
    >object is not initiated. I don't have Access installed on my PC, so I
    >couldn't test out whether my system DSN is created. But my gut feeling
    >is that I'm missing sth else here.
    >
    >Can someone please help me out?

    How did you setup your ODBC service provider?
    Post your udl...
    What version ADO u got?
    You should try to doing ADO inside ATL instead
    of a script lang like perl or java.
    I don't know if you understand ADO. Its ActiveX
    Data Object. From script you should be calling
    a com object and getting back a recordset to work on
    instead of trying to do it all from script.
    The ADO paradigm is too slow from script but if you are determined
    MS has tons of ado (java) includes. As for Perl, I would doubt a
    fractured lang such as this would be anywhere near complete.

    -just my $.02

    , Mar 29, 2005

  3. angell

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:55:09 -0800, wrote:

    >On 28 Mar 2005 14:54:04 -0800, "angell" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Gurus,
    >>
    >>Please help. I am new to Active Perl. I downloaded Active Perl 5.6 to
    >>my local PC(Win2000 professional). I installed DBI-Oracle and tried to
    >>access database through DBI in a standalone perl program, it worked
    >>fine.
    >>
    >>Then I tried to use ADO in my asp pages.(I installed IIS as well and
    >>set up the system DSN "sd11".) I copied the code from the documentation
    >>and appended them to my asp page.
    >>
    >><%
    >> $Conn = $Server->CreateObject("ADODB.Connection");
    >>
    >> $Conn->Open("sd11");
    >>
    >> $RS = $Conn->Execute("SELECT * from orders");
    >>
    >> $count = $RS->Fields->{Count};
    >> $Conn->Close();
    >>%>
    >>
    >>I keep getting this error message:
    >>"Can't call method "Fields" on an undefined value ". It seems the $RS
    >>object is not initiated. I don't have Access installed on my PC, so I
    >>couldn't test out whether my system DSN is created. But my gut feeling
    >>is that I'm missing sth else here.
    >>
    >>Can someone please help me out?

    >How did you setup your ODBC service provider?
    >Post your udl...
    >What version ADO u got?
    >You should try to doing ADO inside ATL instead
    >of a script lang like perl or java.
    >I don't know if you understand ADO. Its ActiveX
    >Data Object. From script you should be calling
    >a com object and getting back a recordset to work on
    >instead of trying to do it all from script.
    >The ADO paradigm is too slow from script but if you are determined
    >MS has tons of ado (java) includes. As for Perl, I would doubt a
    >fractured lang such as this would be anywhere near complete.
    >
    >-just my $.02

    I meant, as for Perl, I doubt a good ADO module could have been
    written to encapsulate oledb et all....

    , Mar 29, 2005