Anyway to change the file create date?

wil

Dear All,

In the linux platform, is there anyway I can in a C program change the
file create date?

Thanks,
wil.

Rouben Rostamian

Dear All,

In the linux platform, is there anyway I can in a C program change the
file create date?

No record of a file's creation date is kept in unix (and linux)
systems. The file system may keep a record of change, access and
modification times only.

Do "man 2 utime" for details.

comp.unix.programmer is the right place to ask for further questions
on this issue.

Dan Pop

In said:
In the linux platform,

If you need a linux solution, ask in Linux/Unix programming newsgroup.
is there anyway I can in a C program change the file create date?

Nope: C files have no timestamps. But Unix files do.

Dan

Gordon Burditt

In the linux platform, is there anyway I can in a C program change the
No record of a file's creation date is kept in unix (and linux)
systems. The file system may keep a record of change, access and
modification times only.

Actually, on some UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD 5 when using a UFS 2 filesystem,
there is a "file birth" date. Usually the reference to a "creation date" is
from some bad documentation that called the st_ctime element of struct stat
a "creation time" rather than an "file changed time".
Do "man 2 utime" for details.

man 2 utime on FreeBSD 5 refers me to man 2 utimes, which discusses file birth
dates.
comp.unix.programmer is the right place to ask for further questions
on this issue.

Gordon L. Burditt

Villy Kruse

Actually, on some UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD 5 when using a UFS 2 filesystem,
there is a "file birth" date. Usually the reference to a "creation date" is
from some bad documentation that called the st_ctime element of struct stat
a "creation time" rather than an "file changed time".

which isn't the same type of change as is recorded in the modification time.

Villy