Anyway to disable the ASP.NET Development Server?

Chris Hayes

Hello All,

I have grown very annoyed with the ASP.NET Development Server since I still
develop with a full instance of IIS and would like to know is there a nice
clean way to disable the ASP.NET DEvelopment Server - I simply do not want
to use it, nor do I want it fire up when I'm trying to debug!

Thanks,

Chris

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Chris,

In VWD, right-click on your project name, and in the Property Pages, click
Start Options.
In the middle of the dialog box, in the Server section, select Use custom
server and provide the Base URL.

Does that work?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Guest

You mean u dun want to run the ASPNET_WP process that is the actual process
for running asp.net?? if so then u ve to uninstall asp.net...go to

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis -u

This will un install asp.net from your dev server

Chris Hayes

Hi Murtaza,

I'm actually referring to the light weight "ASP.NET Development Server" that
comes with Visual Studio 2005 as an alternative to having IIS installed. It
kind of gets in the way when I try to debug, it seems to force me to use it
in debugging scenarios and I would prefer to just run debugging like I used
to against IIS. I am old fashioned.

Chris

Chris Hayes

Hi Ken,

I tried that, and it didn't work. I'll give it a try again here in a few
minutes.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Hayes said:
Hello All,

I have grown very annoyed with the ASP.NET Development Server since I
still develop with a full instance of IIS and would like to know is there
a nice clean way to disable the ASP.NET DEvelopment Server - I simply do
not want to use it, nor do I want it fire up when I'm trying to debug!

Thanks,

Chris

Juan T. Llibre

To specify the Web server for an already-created Web site, open your local website
with VS 2005 and, in the Solution Explorer, right-click the name of the Web site for
which you want to specify a Web server, and then click Property Pages.

In the Property Pages dialog box, click the Start Options tab.
Under Server, click Use custom server.

In the Base URL box, type the URL that VS 2005 should start when running the current Web site.
You can use localhost, your machine name, or an assigned domain name for your IP.

From that point on, the VS.NET IDE will not use the internal web server,
but will use IIS to open your pages, i.e., if you are working on default.aspx,
and you're using localhost, it will be opened as : http://localhost/default.aspx

Raul

This does work. Once I change it in the property pages for the web
project, ASP.Net development server does not get invoked. I dont know
why Microsoft included it, it is so damn slow and gets in the way of
debugging.