anyway to improve treeview rendering speed

CW

I am using the treeview control for the web application I am writing. I have
found it be very slow dealing with a moderately sized nodes collection
(about 40 nodes) rendering to a browser.

The total size of the entire page is only 50K, and with a 512 Kbps link, the
treeview control takes 10 seconds to load from the server whereas non-tree
view pages take only 1 sec to load.

Anyone has got ideas how to improve rendering speed for pages including
treeviews?

Thanks in advance

CW

Ken

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't believe the size of the tree is a
problem actually. Using the example that came with MS IE Webcontrols, a
statically bound tree with 3 nodes takes 10 sec to load from the web server.
The strange thing is that it runs fast from my development box. It's just
damn slow when running from a remote server. I don't believe it's a problem
with the remote server itself as I could download another aspx page that
doesn't have a web control almost instantaneously.

Thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CW,

As you mentioned that the simple 3 nodes samlple tree also cause 10 secs
for downloading, I think the problem is really abit strange. Are you sure
the problem only occurs when we visit the treeview page deploying on that
particular server?

Since the IE Webcontrol mostly rely on the resources files they use, such
as the HTC file and image files , I suspect whether those resources file
has been correctly installed on that server(or the certain site on that
server). You can try checking this and also have a test on creating a
simple project that use TREEVIEW and deploy on a new site on that
server(has IE webcontrol installed) to see whether the problem remains.

Also, if you have any other findings, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

CW

Hi Steven

Can you advise exactly what you mean by "those resource file has been
correctly installed on that server". Exactly what should I be looking for?

I know for a fact that the problem only pertains to tree view because I was
able to test it on two different servers. Both have other ASP.Net pages and
they all run very smoothly. Only when I run pages that have treeview, things
are slow. I used the sample page (treeview.aspx) that came with IE Web
Control's installation package and long delays happened on both servers. I
checked some archived messages regarding treeview control performance issues
on this group and it seemed to be a problem going back a long time. Like
mine, the problem appeared to be at the rendering stage of the control and
network bottlenecks were not issues. In fact, because of the performance
issue, I was forced to turn the page into frames where the treeview sits in
its own frame and merely provides navigation links instead of being an
integrated part of each page. This doesn't eliminate the delay when I first
load the site, however, subsequent loads were much faster because I turned
off postbacks for the treeview. This in fact illustrated the performance
issue of treeview. The content frame of my site loaded the fastest, followed
by the header frame and the treeview frame loaded last as the tree is being
rendered.

Regards

CW

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CW,

Thanks for your response. the resources file I mean is the "webctrl_client"
folder(under the website's root folder) , all the IE Webcontrols(including
the TreeView)'s static resources file, such as image files, htc files. If
you have the priviliges on the remote server , you may have a check on that
. Also, you can try viewing the treeview page on the webserver locally(via
http://localhost/...) to see whether the behavior is like from remote
client.

In addition can you double check that whether the delay of the treeview
page is on the severside or on the client side? That means whether it is
the serverside's processing or client side IE browser make this problem.