    Anyone has got ideas how to improve rendering speed for pages including
    treeviews?

    Thanks in advance
    CW, Sep 25, 2004

  2. One of the vendors is using a technique called Load on Demand that only
    loads data when a node is being opened. You might want to see how that's
    done.

    http://www.componentart.com/treeview/default.aspx

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Sep 26, 2004

  3. CW

    CW Guest

    Ken

    Thanks for your suggestion. I don't believe the size of the tree is a
    problem actually. Using the example that came with MS IE Webcontrols, a
    statically bound tree with 3 nodes takes 10 sec to load from the web server.
    The strange thing is that it runs fast from my development box. It's just
    damn slow when running from a remote server. I don't believe it's a problem
    with the remote server itself as I could download another aspx page that
    doesn't have a web control almost instantaneously.

    Thanks

    CW, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Hi CW,

    As you mentioned that the simple 3 nodes samlple tree also cause 10 secs
    for downloading, I think the problem is really abit strange. Are you sure
    the problem only occurs when we visit the treeview page deploying on that
    particular server?

    Since the IE Webcontrol mostly rely on the resources files they use, such
    as the HTC file and image files , I suspect whether those resources file
    has been correctly installed on that server(or the certain site on that
    server). You can try checking this and also have a test on creating a
    simple project that use TREEVIEW and deploy on a new site on that
    server(has IE webcontrol installed) to see whether the problem remains.

    Also, if you have any other findings, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 27, 2004
  5. CW

    CW Guest

    Hi Steven

    Can you advise exactly what you mean by "those resource file has been
    correctly installed on that server". Exactly what should I be looking for?

    I know for a fact that the problem only pertains to tree view because I was
    able to test it on two different servers. Both have other ASP.Net pages and
    they all run very smoothly. Only when I run pages that have treeview, things
    are slow. I used the sample page (treeview.aspx) that came with IE Web
    Control's installation package and long delays happened on both servers. I
    checked some archived messages regarding treeview control performance issues
    on this group and it seemed to be a problem going back a long time. Like
    mine, the problem appeared to be at the rendering stage of the control and
    network bottlenecks were not issues. In fact, because of the performance
    issue, I was forced to turn the page into frames where the treeview sits in
    its own frame and merely provides navigation links instead of being an
    integrated part of each page. This doesn't eliminate the delay when I first
    load the site, however, subsequent loads were much faster because I turned
    off postbacks for the treeview. This in fact illustrated the performance
    issue of treeview. The content frame of my site loaded the fastest, followed
    by the header frame and the treeview frame loaded last as the tree is being
    rendered.

    Regards

    CW

    CW, Sep 27, 2004
  6. Hi CW,

    Thanks for your response. the resources file I mean is the "webctrl_client"
    folder(under the website's root folder) , all the IE Webcontrols(including
    the TreeView)'s static resources file, such as image files, htc files. If
    you have the priviliges on the remote server , you may have a check on that
    . Also, you can try viewing the treeview page on the webserver locally(via
    http://localhost/...) to see whether the behavior is like from remote
    client.

    In addition can you double check that whether the delay of the treeview
    page is on the severside or on the client side? That means whether it is
    the serverside's processing or client side IE browser make this problem.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 28, 2004