    ordinary div tag.

    Thanks,

    Andy ;-)

    Andy, Oct 3, 2009

  2. Andy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > quick question in relation to AP divs. Are these used a lot by
    > designers or are the ordinary divs better.

    By "AP" do you mean absolutely positioned? If you mean absolutely
    positioned, then a lot of WYSIWYG editors love to use them.

    > What are the disadvantages
    > of AP divs. I have been told to stay clear of in favor for the
    > ordinary div tag.

    Most times the problem is they are positioned absolutely! It can be
    handily but unlike when you design on a piece of paper, with a webpage
    you can never really control what size the browser window is (you
    virtual paper), or the size and type of fonts used, etc. Careful
    consideration must be taken to make "position: absolute" work
    effectively, and can cause considerable problems for the newbie...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2009

  3. Jan C. Faerber, Oct 4, 2009
  4. Andy

    GTalbot Guest

    GTalbot, Oct 4, 2009
  5. On Oct 4, 7:34 am, GTalbot <> wrote:
    > On 3 oct, 21:06, "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://web.archive.org/web/20041011221429/www.w3.org/2002/03/csslayou...

    > Just curious. What's wrong withhttp://www.w3.org/2002/03/csslayout-howto

    I don't know exactly.
    You can use: http://xrl.us/iawr
    There you find http://www.w3.org/2002/03/csslayout-howto which is not
    the same link as shown - I don't know the reason for that.

    I found it on the topic info of #html channel on irc.freenode.net
    There you find aswell:
    http://xrl.us/kd35
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#html4
    http://xrl.us/be84ry