Apache Axis and JDK1.5

Jacob

I have downloaded axis1.2rc and try to compile with the 1.5
compiler and it fails because Axis (still) uses "enum" as a
package name. ("enum" is a reserved word in Java 1.5; Its
introduction has been known for a very long time).

Can I conclude that Apache Axis is a dead project?

What are alternative libraries for Soap access?

Thanks!

Mike Schilling

Jacob said:
I have downloaded axis1.2rc and try to compile with the 1.5
compiler and it fails because Axis (still) uses "enum" as a
package name. ("enum" is a reserved word in Java 1.5; Its
introduction has been known for a very long time).

Try what I suggested last time you brought this up: use the "-source 1.4"
flag on javac.

Jacob

Mike said:
Try what I suggested last time you brought this up: use the "-source 1.4"
flag on javac.

Excuse me for repeating myself.

What I actually did this time was to use Apache Axis 1.2rc
(my previous request was regarding Apache Axis 1.1).

I know I can get this running using 1.4 option, but then
again there would be no use of JDK1.5, would there?
Bottom line is that I don't control the build environment.
JDK1.5 is the platform and that's it.

My concerns are about the Apache Axis project as such.
The axis1.2 alpha is from December 2003, the beta is from
March 2004, and finally the RC from September 2004; Not
a typical progress rate for a Java/Web/OpenSource project.

And it comes as a surprise that the source doesn't compile
with JDK1.5 for such an elementary reason (using a reserved
word as package name).

Apache Axis is a library for SOAP access. I am sure there
are others and more vital projects out there.
Please advice.

Thanks!

Mike Schilling

Jacob said:
Excuse me for repeating myself.

What I actually did this time was to use Apache Axis 1.2rc
(my previous request was regarding Apache Axis 1.1).

I know I can get this running using 1.4 option, but then
again there would be no use of JDK1.5, would there?

Except in the files that need to reference the "enum" packages directly, you
could use all the 1.5 features you like. Of course, when it comes time to
deploy your web services, you'd need to put them in a container that
supports 1.5. AFAIK, that wouldn't be any of the large commercial ones
(WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.) yet. Not sure about Tomcat, JBoss, etc.

Jacob

Mike said:
Except in the files that need to reference the "enum" packages directly, you
could use all the 1.5 features you like. Of course, when it comes time to
deploy your web services, you'd need to put them in a container that
supports 1.5. AFAIK, that wouldn't be any of the large commercial ones
(WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.) yet. Not sure about Tomcat, JBoss, etc.

WDSL2Java auto-generates code that use the enum package
so there is no simple way out of this misery.

My code is not under container control so there is no
issues there; It is ready to ship as soon as I get a
decent SOAP library to work with.

Mike Schilling

Jacob said:
WDSL2Java auto-generates code that use the enum package
so there is no simple way out of this misery.

And this generated code won't use any 1.5 features, so compiling it "-source
1.4" doesn't lose you anything.