    Can I conclude that Apache Axis is a dead project?

    What are alternative libraries for Soap access?

    Thanks!

    Jacob, Nov 4, 2004

  2. "Jacob" <> wrote in message
    news:mWqid.5418$...
    >I have downloaded axis1.2rc and try to compile with the 1.5
    > compiler and it fails because Axis (still) uses "enum" as a
    > package name. ("enum" is a reserved word in Java 1.5; Its
    > introduction has been known for a very long time).

    Try what I suggested last time you brought this up: use the "-source 1.4"
    flag on javac.

    Mike Schilling, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Jacob

    Jacob Guest

    Mike Schilling wrote:

    > Try what I suggested last time you brought this up: use the "-source 1.4"
    > flag on javac.

    Excuse me for repeating myself.

    What I actually did this time was to use Apache Axis 1.2rc
    (my previous request was regarding Apache Axis 1.1).

    I know I can get this running using 1.4 option, but then
    again there would be no use of JDK1.5, would there?
    Bottom line is that I don't control the build environment.
    JDK1.5 is the platform and that's it.

    My concerns are about the Apache Axis project as such.
    The axis1.2 alpha is from December 2003, the beta is from
    March 2004, and finally the RC from September 2004; Not
    a typical progress rate for a Java/Web/OpenSource project.

    And it comes as a surprise that the source doesn't compile
    with JDK1.5 for such an elementary reason (using a reserved
    word as package name).

    Apache Axis is a library for SOAP access. I am sure there
    are others and more vital projects out there.
    Please advice.

    Thanks!

    Jacob, Nov 5, 2004
  4. "Jacob" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> Try what I suggested last time you brought this up: use the "-source 1.4"
    >> flag on javac.

    > Excuse me for repeating myself.
    >
    > What I actually did this time was to use Apache Axis 1.2rc
    > (my previous request was regarding Apache Axis 1.1).
    >
    > I know I can get this running using 1.4 option, but then
    > again there would be no use of JDK1.5, would there?

    Except in the files that need to reference the "enum" packages directly, you
    could use all the 1.5 features you like. Of course, when it comes time to
    deploy your web services, you'd need to put them in a container that
    supports 1.5. AFAIK, that wouldn't be any of the large commercial ones
    (WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.) yet. Not sure about Tomcat, JBoss, etc.

    Mike Schilling, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Jacob

    Jacob Guest

    Mike Schilling wrote:

    > Except in the files that need to reference the "enum" packages directly, you
    > could use all the 1.5 features you like. Of course, when it comes time to
    > deploy your web services, you'd need to put them in a container that
    > supports 1.5. AFAIK, that wouldn't be any of the large commercial ones
    > (WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.) yet. Not sure about Tomcat, JBoss, etc.

    WDSL2Java auto-generates code that use the enum package
    so there is no simple way out of this misery.

    My code is not under container control so there is no
    issues there; It is ready to ship as soon as I get a
    decent SOAP library to work with.

    Jacob, Nov 6, 2004
  6. "Jacob" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> Except in the files that need to reference the "enum" packages directly,
    >> you could use all the 1.5 features you like. Of course, when it comes
    >> time to deploy your web services, you'd need to put them in a container
    >> that supports 1.5. AFAIK, that wouldn't be any of the large commercial
    >> ones (WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.) yet. Not sure about Tomcat, JBoss, etc.

    > WDSL2Java auto-generates code that use the enum package
    > so there is no simple way out of this misery.

    And this generated code won't use any 1.5 features, so compiling it "-source
    1.4" doesn't lose you anything.

    Mike Schilling, Nov 6, 2004