Apache Axis, XML document, errors abound

Jbjones

I just wrote a simple java program that uses a web service call from
the internet, and attempts to save it to a file.

I have run a very similar program (actually used the same code) from a
different machine, and it worked fine, though for somereason running it
now is giving me errors. I have never seen this type of message
before, so I am a bit confused.

Here is the error:<error>
Exception in thread "main" AxisFault
faultCode:
faultSubcode:
faultString: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in
prolog.
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
Content is not allowed in prolog.
</error>

I use this almost exact same code in another program that is running on
a web server that is running fine right now, so am not sure what to do.
I have all the axis libraries and the xerces libraries in my jre ext's
folder. Below I will include the pertinent code:

I assume this is an error from axis and not from the code that I am
running, but am lost.

**Assume this is the only code used. I use other code, but it is
provided in the packages. Any suggestions?
<code>
String xmlFile;

// Needed for the web service with NOAA
WeatherParametersType typeArray;
typeArray = new WeatherParametersType();
typeArray.setMaxt(true); //works
typeArray.setMint(true); //works
typeArray.setPop12(true);
typeArray.setWspd(true);
typeArray.setWx(true); //works
typeArray.setIcons(true);

String[] argst={"here","there"};
//I assume this constructor has no bearing on anything
Options opts=new Options(argst);

NdfdXML ndfd = new NdfdXMLLocator();
opts.setDefaultURL(ndfd.getndfdXMLPortAddress());

URL serviceURL = new URL(opts.getURL());

NdfdXMLPortType info = null;

if(serviceURL!=null)
{
info = ndfd.getndfdXMLPort(serviceURL);
}

Calendar now = new GregorianCalendar();
now.add(Calendar.DAY_OF_YEAR,0);
Calendar next = new GregorianCalendar();
next.add(Calendar.DAY_OF_YEAR,+7);
//<latitude>38.84N</latitude>
//<longitude>077.03W</longitude> is for zip 20001
BigDecimal lat = new BigDecimal(38.84);
BigDecimal lon = new BigDecimal(77.03);

info.NDFDgen(lat,lon,(ProductType.value1),(now),(next),(typeArray));

</code>

I know this probably seems vague, so I will add any other code or help
needed. Thanks for the help.

John C. Bollinger

Jbjones said:
Here is the error:<error>
Exception in thread "main" AxisFault
faultCode:
faultSubcode:
faultString: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in
prolog.
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
Content is not allowed in prolog.
</error>

It appears that the service (apparently written in Java; possibly, but
not necessarily, using Axis as SOAP interface) has found your SOAP
request [see "Server.userException"] to be a malformed XML document [see
"SAXParseException"]. The message cites an error in the document
prologue, which is everything before the document's root element. I can
think of at least two reasonably likely ways that this could happen, but
there are any number of other possibilities. Look at the SOAP message
received at the server; it may even have been logged for you. If you
can't figure out what's wrong with it then someone here probably can.
I have all the axis libraries and the xerces libraries in my jre ext's
folder. Below I will include the pertinent code:

If you knew what the pertinent code was then you could probably fix the
program without our help. We generally want to see a small,
self-contained example code -- compilable -- that exhibits the problem.
You might even find the bug yourself while constructing it.
I assume this is an error from axis and not from the code that I am
running, but am lost.

The error is _generated_ by Axis, but the bug is probably in your own
code because you appear to be sending a malformed request to the service.
**Assume this is the only code used. I use other code, but it is

It is evidently not the only code used because it is not compilable
(even assuming the presence of class dependencies and assuming
appropriate import statements).
provided in the packages. Any suggestions?

I already offered some. In particular, if you want any more specific
help then post a compilable example code such as I described.
<code> [...]
</code>

I know this probably seems vague, so I will add any other code or help
needed. Thanks for the help.

If you want us to devote time to helping you, then it would behoove you
to show some initiative and try to give us from the start what we need
to have to help you effectively. If your request seems vague even to
you then why do you think it would be sufficient for us? Your comment
there reads [to me] as "I'm too lazy to troubleshoot this myself, so
I'll throw it out to the Net and see what I get back." (And that is
largely the reason for the tone of this response.)

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)

Jbjones

Thanks John, I solved the problem. I had thought it was the xml file
that I was recieving that was throwing the error, (hence my confusion,
because I never treated it as XML file, just a string). I knew it
returned a valid xml file, and was befulled. You telling me it was the
actual wbeb services server that was my problem allowed me to fix the
problem in 45 seconds (The longitude should be negative for western
hempisphere). I understand your tone, but realize i was looking at a
weird error message (it didn't give me line numbers, just fault names,
like i had never seen), and the net provides ZERO documentation on this
to lead me to believe it was the server.
So, regardless of your tone, you solved my issue quickly. Thanks