    Thanks everyone

    Lorna
    , May 11, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend me a good way of feeding a document in to FOP
    > other than by crafting the xml:fo myself in a text editor?

    As you said, XSLT stylesheets are the most common way to produce XSL:FO
    (that's what they were originally designed for, after all). If FOP
    doesn't support some features, the fastest solution may be to simplify
    one of the existing stylesheets rather than reconstructing the behaviors
    from the ground up. I suspect that if you ask on Apache's mailing list
    for FOP, you'll find at least one source for already-modified versions...
    Joe Kesselman, May 11, 2006

  3. Andy Dingley Guest

    Joe Kesselman wrote:

    > As you said, XSLT stylesheets are the most common way to produce XSL:FO
    > (that's what they were originally designed for, after all).

    Are they? As a casual matter of historical curiosity, just what was
    the sequencing between XSLT and XSL:FO ? Were they conceived as a
    pair, or did one pre-date the other?
    Andy Dingley, May 11, 2006
  4. Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > Are they? As a casual matter of historical curiosity, just what was
    > the sequencing between XSLT and XSL:FO ? Were they conceived as a
    > pair, or did one pre-date the other?

    As a pair. See info on the W3C's website.
    Joe Kesselman, May 11, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I hope I'm not repeating a question or missing any good resources but I
    > really can't figure out the best way to progress with my problem. We'd
    > like to use apache fop to generate documents in both PDF and PCL format
    > - our email system will only take PDF and the fax system only PCL,
    > Apache FOP is spot on for this. However it is choking on whatever I
    > feed it, I think because not all the tags have been implemented.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend me a good way of feeding a document in to FOP
    > other than by crafting the xml:fo myself in a text editor? We might
    > need "normal" people to make documents to go through this process, and
    > we will need tables. I've seen some XSLT for XHTML to xml:fo but of
    > course they don't take account of the fact that not all of the xml:fo
    > standard has been implemented.

    Feeding XML and XSL to an XSLT process to generate XSL:FO is a good way
    to automatically obtain FO without having to manually tag FO.

    What is your original input? Are you using XML?

    One thing is certain, If you are using FOP, you will have to go around
    some of the application's FO tag limitations when you code your XSL
    stylesheet. If you are only dealing mostly with text and tables then
    PDF generation shouln't be too much of an issue (although you might
    have to come up with a few programming tricks to work with table
    alignment).

    If the idea is to have "normal" people author a document in a regular
    "word" format lookalike to then somehow have FOP convert to PDF
    thereafter, you will have to think of the intermediary transformation
    from text edit to XSL:FO. Are you building a custom application or is
    this for personnal use? You might be looking at an XML editor that
    outputs, for display, text and formatting for normal users to use. XML
    which then would have to be transformed into XSL:FO with the help of
    XSL which would then be fed to FOP for PDF creation.

    If this if for personnal use, there are some available off the shelf
    softwares that take in regular Word documents and convert them directly
    to PDF; in which case you would be getting the full editing power of
    word and the full flexibility of distribution of PDF.

    <endrant/> :)

    So the important question is. In what context will you be using the
    application stream in?

    Regards
    Jeff
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Michaud?=, May 11, 2006