Apache Lucene Spell Checker

Discussion in 'Java' started by Chase Preuninger, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. I can't figure out what the Directory object that you pass to the
    SpellChecker constructor does.

    Chase Preuninger, Jun 19, 2008

  2. Chase Preuninger

    GArlington Guest

    On Jun 19, 2:28 pm, Chase Preuninger <>
    wrote:
    > I can't figure out what the Directory object that you pass to the
    > SpellChecker constructor does.

    Dictionary?

    GArlington, Jun 19, 2008

  3. No that is the part that has me baffled. You pass it a dictionary
    later on but I cant figure out what to include in the directory. No
    tutorials online show how to create the directory.

    Chase Preuninger, Jun 19, 2008
  4. Chase Preuninger wrote:
    > I can't figure out what the Directory object that you pass to the
    > SpellChecker constructor does.

    SpellChecker indexes the dictionary (rather, all words in the
    dictionary) for which it needs a Directory object.

    Abhijat Vatsyayan, Jun 20, 2008
  5. Chase Preuninger

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Chase Preuninger wrote:
    > I can't figure out what the Directory object that you pass to the
    > SpellChecker constructor does.

    You should ask on the Lucene forums, but my understanding is that a
    Directory is where it puts the index files that it builds. There are
    several implementations of it, where it could be a "virtual" in-memory
    directory, or an actual file-system directory. If you build your index
    every time you load your app, and the index isn't too large, you can use
    the RAMDirectory to do what you want, otherwise you might consider using
    a FSDirectory

    (I've guessed at the names, since I haven't used Lucene in a long time)

    Daniel Pitts, Jun 20, 2008