    Does anybody know a working solution?

    Thanks,
    Markus

    Markus Schaber, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Markus Schaber pushed the bounds of literature with:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and
    > provides session tracking?
    >
    ><Snip>
    > Thanks,
    > Markus

    This is pretty easy to do by hand using MD5 and a cookie.

    --
    Dale Strickland-Clark
    Riverhall Systems Ltd, www.riverhall.co.uk

    Dale Strickland-Clak, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Markus Schaber

    Van Gale Guest

    Markus Schaber wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and provides session tracking?

    Most of the python web programming frameworks have session handling.
    Here are a few:

    Quixote http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/doc/
    Albatross http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/
    Webware http://webware.sourceforge.net/
    Jonpy http://jonpy.sf.net
    Spyce http://spyce.sf.net
    JOTweb http://jotweb.tummy.com/

    More information can be found at:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming
    http://colorstudy.com/docs/shootout.html

    Here's an example of a module that does its own session handling using
    MySQL for storage:

    http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/L...y=author&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

    Van Gale

    Van Gale, Jul 5, 2003
  4. According to Dale Strickland-Clak <>:
    > Markus Schaber pushed the bounds of literature with:
    > > Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and
    > > provides session tracking?

    > This is pretty easy to do by hand using MD5 and a cookie.

    Throw in a secret and get HMAC-MD5.

    See AuthCookies in M2Crypto, http://www.post1.com/home/ngps/m2

    --
    Ng Pheng Siong <>

    http://firewall.rulemaker.net -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
    http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

    Ng Pheng Siong, Jul 5, 2003
  5. Hi,

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:16:17 +0200
    Markus Schaber <> wrote:

    > Does anybody know a module that works with Apache 1.3 mod_python and
    > provides session tracking?

    Thanks for all that answered, I now found the nice debian package
    python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
    that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)

    I just was too stupid by including "apache" in all my search requests on google and apt-cache - this filtered out lots of useful answers...

    Thanks,
    Markus

    Markus Schaber, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Markus Schaber wrote:
    > python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
    > that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)

    What!? Why!?
    Any sane explanation why you should go with slow, outdated CGI scripts
    instead of the nice, fast web server integration of mod_python?

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Jul 7, 2003
  7. Hello,

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:50:11 +0200
    Irmen de Jong <> wrote:

    > Markus Schaber wrote:
    > > python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
    > > that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)

    > What!? Why!?
    > Any sane explanation why you should go with slow, outdated CGI scripts
    > instead of the nice, fast web server integration of mod_python?

    The script will have a very low usage (maybe about ten sessions a month). And it spends lots of time doing ldap database queries, so the starting overhead doesn't hurt so much.

    Additionally, the webserver currently doesn't have mod_python installed, and there is the fear that every additional module has disadvantages (bigger startup/fork time, potential bugs, memory footprint).

    I hope that these two argumens are "sane" in your world, at least they are sane enough for my boss.

    Greets,
    Markus

    Markus Schaber, Jul 8, 2003
  8. Markus Schaber wrote:

    > The script will have a very low usage (maybe about ten sessions a month).
    > And it spends lots of time doing ldap database queries, so the starting
    > overhead doesn't hurt so much.

    This clears it all up. No further comments ;-)

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Jul 8, 2003