    personalize the pages seen by that user. After authentication, are
    there accessible environment variables? Any ideas?

    , May 26, 2005

  2. [Followups restricted to comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc.]

    In article <>, writes:
    > I've set-up Apache to authenticate using htaccess and MySQL. That part
    > works great. I'm trying to figure out how to get access (cgi? php?
    > server config?) to the user_name provided in the login pop-up box to
    > personalize the pages seen by that user. After authentication, are
    > there accessible environment variables? Any ideas?

    For CGI, the username should be in the REMOTE_USER environment
    variable. From the CGI/1.1 specification:

    6.1.12. REMOTE_USER
    If the request required authentication using the "Basic" mechanism
    (i.e., the AUTH_TYPE metavariable is set to "Basic"), then the value
    of the REMOTE_USER metavariable is set to the user-ID supplied. In
    all other cases the value of this metavariable is undefined.

    REMOTE_USER = *OCTET

    This variable is specific to requests made via the HTTP protocol.

    Servers SHOULD provide this metavariable to scripts.

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    Be sure to push the button of the bottom, and push the button of the
    settlement page indicated next only once, there is fear of the bottom
    rhinoceros multiplex lesson money. -- Sukebe Net

    Michael Wojcik, May 28, 2005