Apache/PHP 5.1.2/mod_perl Solaris 10 Problem

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Robert Jansen, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    After several days of debugging I think I figured out that perl 5.8.3 with
    a default config doesn't work properly on Solaris 10.

    I installed on a Solaris 10 (doing a major upgrade from a working Solaris
    9 similar setup ) the following:
    Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) PHP/5.1.2 mod_perl/1.29 using the Solaris malloc
    (perl 5.8.3 configured with -Uusemyalloc (means: don't use perl's malloc)
    and the rest default)
    (All compiled with the Sunfreeware gcc 3.3.2 package and APACI for PHP and
    mod_perl)

    RT 3.4.5 with RTFM-2.2.0RC2.

    >From time to time one of the Apache processes simply bails out with the

    following message: "Out of memory!" (This message is perl related)
    (grep through the docs,.. seems that it's perlio related (Changes5.8))
    (seems to be after PHP activity in the same Apache)

    I also tried with perl 5.8.8 (plus mod_perl and Apache rebuild ofcourse,..
    no go ,.. even more errors.

    Tried running Apache with debugging perl in standalone,...
    Tried perl profiling,...
    No answer found,.. Apache processes keep bailing out...

    So I added the 2 option in the perl config to NOT use perlio (non-default)
    and NO faststdio (non-default)

    (Watch out here,.. the perl config will use a different naming scheme for
    it's @INC dir's. Solved this by editing the perl's config.sh file before
    the perl build. It also means that this will break any statically linked
    Perl Modules from a same versioned Perl with different config options,
    because the PerLio is gone)
    As far I can see, repairing the RT required modules involves:
    CPAN break's on Term::Readkey (install it manually)
    then use CPAN shell to force install (in this order):
    -DBI
    -DBIx::SearchBuilder
    -HTML::Mason
    -Scalar::Util
    -Tree::Simple

    Seems that the "Out of Memory!" error is still there !!

    Arrghh,... I'm at a loss here,...

    The Solaris installed perl isn't an option because we need a more recent
    one than Sun's 5.8.4 (see above ,.. 5.8.8 default fails to)

    Any hints ? A working recipe ?

    TIA

    Jansen Robert

    Robert Jansen, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Robert Jansen

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Robert Jansen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > After several days of debugging I think I figured out that perl 5.8.3 with
    > a default config doesn't work properly on Solaris 10.
    >
    > I installed on a Solaris 10 (doing a major upgrade from a working Solaris
    > 9 similar setup ) the following:
    > Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) PHP/5.1.2 mod_perl/1.29 using the Solaris malloc
    > (perl 5.8.3 configured with -Uusemyalloc (means: don't use perl's malloc)
    > and the rest default)
    > (All compiled with the Sunfreeware gcc 3.3.2 package and APACI for PHP and
    > mod_perl)
    >
    > RT 3.4.5 with RTFM-2.2.0RC2.
    >
    >>From time to time one of the Apache processes simply bails out with the

    > following message: "Out of memory!" (This message is perl related)

    I think you need to track down what perl scripts are doing what when
    this happens, using plenty of print statements (print to a log) perhaps
    logging memory usage stats too.

    I once spent hours chasing an "Out of memory!" error. I was reading a
    very large file line by line. Each line was only a few hundred chars
    long so I couldn't see why it was eating so much memeory. I Eventually
    discovered that of the millions of lines in the file, 1 of them was
    almost 400 million chars long! The machine did not have enough memory
    to fit the line into memory.

    Moral of the story is - I doubt Perl is at fault.

    --
    Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem, Apr 6, 2006

  3. On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:49:31 +0200, Brian Wakem <> wrote:

    > Robert Jansen wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> After several days of debugging I think I figured out that perl 5.8.3
    >> with
    >> a default config doesn't work properly on Solaris 10.
    >> I installed on a Solaris 10 (doing a major upgrade from a working
    >> Solaris
    >> 9 similar setup ) the following:
    >> Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) PHP/5.1.2 mod_perl/1.29 using the Solaris malloc
    >> (perl 5.8.3 configured with -Uusemyalloc (means: don't use perl's
    >> malloc)
    >> and the rest default)
    >> (All compiled with the Sunfreeware gcc 3.3.2 package and APACI for PHP
    >> and
    >> mod_perl)
    >> RT 3.4.5 with RTFM-2.2.0RC2.
    >>
    >>> From time to time one of the Apache processes simply bails out with the

    >> following message: "Out of memory!" (This message is perl related)

    > I think you need to track down what perl scripts are doing what when
    > this happens, using plenty of print statements (print to a log) perhaps
    > logging memory usage stats too.
    >
    > I once spent hours chasing an "Out of memory!" error. I was reading a
    > very large file line by line. Each line was only a few hundred chars
    > long so I couldn't see why it was eating so much memeory. I Eventually
    > discovered that of the millions of lines in the file, 1 of them was
    > almost 400 million chars long! The machine did not have enough memory
    > to fit the line into memory.
    >
    > Moral of the story is - I doubt Perl is at fault.

    Thanks for the reply.

    I did some more digging around and came up with the following:

    http://guest:/rt3/index.html?q=37376

    !!!!!!!! It's a PERL BUG !! which should be fixed in perl 5.9.3.

    But 5.9.3 is giving me a other problems with several modules....

    Jansen Robert, Apr 7, 2006